Truth Book from 1974

by Virgogirl 21 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!
    What am I thinking of then? I have vivid memories of urgency to study this book in people's homes around 1974... did they dust it off and re-issue it later for the six month studies? We placed alot of them, they seemed to sell themselves and were in that simple, easy to read format.

Wasn't there a book call True Peace and Security or something like that that came out at that time? I think it was tan in color.

• banished1
    banished1

Yes, I remember the Truth that Leads To Eternal Life
    Boy those were exciting times! 1972

I remember fondly all the older ones still alive at that time! Boy did we have lively Watchtower Studies in those days! Brothers and Sisters were allowed to go on and on and tell stories in their comments!
    We had real old timers who remembered the Cedar Point Ohio conventions!!! "Advertize Advertize Advertize The King and His Kingdom!"
    One fond memory was the book study I was assigned to. It was in the home of a third generation witness with 9 kids. It was a huge old victorian home and the guy added on to it so much it was kind of like the Winchester mystery home. We used to stay there til 10 on book study nights around their big kitchen table and a pot of tea ( the brothers sipped small cups of homemade wine) and talk and talk about Armageddon and the Paradise to come and what we all hoped for.
    Those were the days in the truth!!! I was in a group of 4 young women witness friends. We were all pioneers and we thought life was grand! We were excited and expectant and happy!
    We moved in together to the same apartment and shared everything.
    Two summers in a row we drove hundreds of miles to the midwest where we were assigned to preach in the rurals of Kansas and New Mexico and Nebraska. We sang songs all the way.
    Thoughts of that little blue book brought all that back.
    Thankyou.

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

I remember the truth book with great fondness. Easy to place, easy to read and easy to study with someone out of. Now, that book, "Babylon the Great has fallen" I hated that book, don't think I ever said those words out loud or even to myself at the time, but I do remember disliking the Tuesday night study, and having the seperate question booklet made the whole experience even worst.

Does anyone remember doing track work back than, we had to distribute what ended up being 7 tracks, it was likened to the blowing of the 7 trumpets?

OC

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I remember studying that book. I was given the ultimatum too. I gave it much thought, but after remembering the brother's™ statement that Armageddon should come within 2 years as well as his statement that there would be no sex in the new system™, my decision was easy. I quit the study, thinking I'd better get my sorry ass out there and get laid while I still could. I spent the next 6 years living a wonderfully wild life.

Unfortunately the stupidity came back to haunt me and I eventually joined the cult anyway.

W

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler
    They said from the platform that the end was just too close to be wasting our time on people who didn't want to come into the truth before it was too late, and this book was everything they needed to make their decision.

Yeah they said the same damn thing about the "Knowledge" book that was suppose to replace the "truth" book.

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 5/96 p. 7 Question Box ***

There is no need to supplement the information in the Knowledge book, bringing in outside material or additional arguments to support Bible teachings or to disprove false doctrines. This would only serve to extend the study over a longer period of time. Rather, it is hoped that the book can be covered rather quickly, perhaps in about six months.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

As blondie stated correctly, the Truth book first showed it's face on the scene in 1968.

There have been numerous campaigns to get the study arrangement completed in six months. I think the motive from Brooklyn is clearly to instill and maintain the 'urgency' in the publishers minds.

When you are thinking the sky could begin to fall at any moment you have little energy to devote to anything like doubts or reason.

Jeff

• Sheri
    Sheri

Yes, I have this book and studied it in 1978 and year later became a JW. Later I taught using the Knowledge Book and remember them saying we should not bring other material into the study and drag out the study. Yet I did not follow protocol and eventually it was my bringing in other sources that I found the great lie.

I did have trouble with the change in 1995 over the generation, prayed about it and got on with life and forgot about it (really just pushed all questions to the back of my mind).

Now I have great conversations/emails with the women who studied the truth book with me as to how much we have learned since fading or in her case being shunned (yet not removed by elders) because of her independent thinking.

Peace,

Sheri

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Yep, it was then rewritten as the Live Forever book when some of it became untrue, and this was rewritten as the Knowledge book when the Generation was clearly nearly dead. All three books were intended as an all-you-need package prior to baptism.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Now they have What Does the Bible Really Teach? which doesn't even mention Faithful and Discreet Slave. Have to prep the ground for a time when there isn't an FDS anymore, people won't keep buying that crap indefinitely.

AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit