unreasonable to expect the JW's to fix everyones houses!

by PaNiCAtTaCk 21 Replies latest jw friends

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

Ive been twice to hurricane rebuilds. I helped with Hurricane Andrew and Maryland. Yes, its true that 98 percent of the people we helped were mostly the JW's. Other than cleaning up the yards of adjacent houses and minor construction we really just helped the JW's. But I guess I dont understand what so many on this board expect the Witnesses or the society to do. The society is struggling financially and cutting costs like most all of the major companies in the United States. Most all of the workers are Janitors and Window washers with a few wealthy witnesses thrown in. I know my parents have given money and supplies to the JW Victims from New Orleans. They live in Arkansas and had a few staying in there congregation. Many got together and helped them giving them money, food and a place to stay. My mom told me yesterday that another group from my old congregation is going this next weekend to help rebuild the brothers homes. What plan of action are you guys suggesting the Society take? Build everyone new houses? Give them 2000 debit cards? Sure the society is helping there own but why is that so wrong? Where do you draw the line? Should they give all there money to the victims and then shut the watchtower down? There main goal is preaching and spreading there version of the truth and they are going to protect that above all. If they are struggling financially to get enough magazines printed because of costs then hurricane funding is going to be limited and especially to those not witnesses. If my family lost everything in a hurricane and I wasnt fortunate enough to have the money of the Catholic church or the Scientologists then i would devert my moneyds to my family. What is the plan the should take?

I do think its misleading to tell people who call or those at the congregation to make checks payable to world wide work. But i do not see anything wrong with taking care of your own people as the Society does.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I had the same thought on this, especially in view of the fact that other large corporations take care of their employees almost exclusively and they are praised for doing so.

I think the criticism comes from the fact that they are a registered charity, and that carries some implications that aren't met by the Watchtower. On the whole charitible organizations help others, not just themselves. So in calling it a charity, they open themselves up to this criticism.

If they didn't do that, and paid the same taxes that the other corporations pay, I don't think they'd catch so much trouble over it.

Similar thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/99241/1.ashx

Dave

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I respect Christians who help anyone who needs help. The thing with most people who volunteer to help is that they help every kind of people. The witnesses could join in and help the bigger cause, instead of isolating themselves and only helping jws. You can bet those JWs will accept general help from other sources. Why shouldn't JWs help other people who need help? It's not up to any one group to rebuild every house. But everyone should work together in the greater cause.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Help for jws in disasters comes generally from other individual jws. In this case, i heard that the wt put some staff on the case. But generally, the wt corp itself does not kick in money. It takes the view that its printing/preaching/publishing work takes precedence over mundane things like natural disasters and the problems of individual jws. And of course, the hardships of nonjws don't concern them in the least. In fact, the attitude in the wt mags is one of jubilation when problems increase. They base that on luke 21:28 ( think that's the scripture about raising their heads). S

S

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

i didnt know they were registered as a charity. Where is this at and with who are they registered?

• TopHat
    TopHat
    If they are struggling financially to get enough magazines printed because of costs then hurricane funding is going to be limited and especially to those not witnesses.

The question I have is:--- Are they struggling financially? If so, how do you know?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Funny....JWs can rebuild homes, but routinely destroy families. Which is more important?

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I think the criticism comes from the fact that they are a registered charity, and that carries some implications that aren't met by the Watchtower. On the whole charitible organizations help others, not just themselves. So in calling it a charity, they open themselves up to this criticism.

Yeah....Like Dave say's...Don't call yourself a charity if you are not willing to help ALL of the people not just those who belong to your little social club. And don't be patting yourself on the back after your HELPED YOUR OWN PEOPLE and no body else.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    i didnt know they were registered as a charity. Where is this at and with who are they registered?

Good question! I looked them up on GuideStar.com, a non-proft registry. Among other bits of info, this comment appears on the Watchtower page:

• This organization is a 501(c)(3) Public Charity.
  • The corporation's purposes are religious, educational, and charitable and acts as a legal entity for the religious body of Christian persons in the United States as Jehovah's Witnesses.
  • (I had to register in order to look it up, but it's free to do so)

Dave

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ashitaka hit the nail on it's proverbial head. nicely said.

it's not that i want the society to rebuild everyones house, panickattack. i just want them to lay down and die already, and stop pretending that they have any answers what-so-ever.

TS

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit