Just got Home/Elder Dad just realized I'm Apostate

by MrMoe 37 Replies latest jw friends

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Well, just got back from a BIG talk with my parents. I finally let them in on the fact that I question the Society. (Dad is an Elder and mother has been in it for 67 years since birth.)

THE BIG BLOWOUT
    My dad the elder said he has the right to judge and (bringing up some poor guy I know who's wife hates him cause he was df'd for smoking)my dad the elder said he judged this person unrepentant even though he was in tears because he could not quit. He said it would spot the congregation same as a pregnant woman with "her belly out to here." Pardon me for being unchristian, but my dad is an asshole.

We brought up everything from oral sex to 1975. At first my dad said the WT never said 75. Then I pulled out hte bound volume 1968 Awake! and Boom -- there it was. Then he finally admitted it and said "It's OK to be human." I said was ita prophecy and after very heated words he owned up to it. Then I said was it false and he after more heated words said yes. Tehn he says again, THEY ARE NOT FALSE PROPHETS, JUST HUMAN!!!!!!!!! What a crock.

Anyhow, probably this is it. I am sure an elder will be calling me soon. I will tell more about it all later when I cool off. My dad called me an apostate. Man, this is it. What do I do now?

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

Have a stiff drink, think of all the great things you can do in life, and decide to do something positive for someone else. Your parents will cool off over time.
    (((((((hugs))))))
    RC

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Hey MrMoe,

Wow, sounds like you have had a heck of a day! (hugs)
    Your dad's comments about the Governing body just being human really irks me! It's not that the rest of us don't think that they are human! It's the fact that they won't own up to the fact that they are just human! We are to treat everything they say <current understanding, present truth, etc. etc.> As if it is from God, not questioning it! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Galling to say the least. I wish you well. I admire your courage in confronting this.

BW

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

Good for you!
    I know it was hard, but it had to happen. I am waiting for that dreadful day myself and I'm in no hurry, but some days I feel like screaming from the rooftops. It's like a fire burning in your belly and you just can't keep it in any longer. You did the right thing and it will get easier as they accept that you are questioning things. Don't let them get you down. You're just doing what you have to do.

Anne

"When caught between two evils I generally pick the one I've never tried before." Mae West

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Thanks for the hugs. My father was so angry he was purple. I just sat there calm until I finally cried and walked out. The wierd thing is, all this has hit me in the last 2 weeks. Yes, a month ago I was convinced it was the "truth." I am scared now, as I am sure the elders will be calling me soon. The thing that really got me was my dad said "I judged and difellowshipped Joe!!!!!!!." (name changed) My dad said those words screaming and purple in the face, said it in that atittude like Moses "I will make you water" and not God. The stupid thing is I never brought this guy up, maybe my dad feels guilty for judging his fellow brother.

Human is right, human like a rabid dog. Human liars, how much is that directed by God?

So...... how long until the elders call me? Man, I'm scared.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

P.S.

In the hostile meeting with my parents (I was not hostile) my mother said a cult was a religion said to be unorthadox or perscribes devotion by man made rituals and people that live apart for the rest of the society.

Hmmmmmmmmm............ I decided to make no comment to her. (Didn't want to come accross the wrong way.)

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

Just be honest. You're not out to hurt anyone, you just want to know the truth and you have nothing to hide. You've done nothing wrong, so don't let them make you feel like you have.
    If they come to talk to you, just tell them you don't have time, that you're very busy and you'll have to get a hold of them when you have some free time (and just don't call back). You can probably do this along with pretending to not be home for a little while until you feel prepared enough to state clearly how you feel and what you want to say.

I feel for you and I'm feeling sort of anxious inside because I know it's going to be hard when I'm in that situation. Just know that you're not alone and we all have to make our stand for truth. Funny how I used to think the same thing about the organization I belonged to.

Good Luck (I mean that)

Anne

"When caught between two evils I generally pick the one I've never tried before." Mae West

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

My heart goes out to you as you are probably in for a rollercoaster ride with your emotions. It is a very traumatic thing to go from believing 100% in something to finding out that you were deceived.

At least you have a place to come and express your anxiety, hurt, frustation and pain. You now have a place that will validate your feelings.

I started having doubts about 3 years ago and I finally feel okay about things. It has been a struggle but I made it. You will too.

Hang in there, we are all here for you.

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• Tanalyst
    Tanalyst

Congratulations for developing your thinking ability. Your Dad knows he did wrong.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Moe..that purple face was not just rage...it was fear. I think all the doubts that he didnt ever express, that you just did, all the fear that it was true, all the fear now that he will have to shun you, and that you or he or both may not be in "paradise" came flying through. This is always the roughest part. Give both of you time to cool off and then try to talk to him again. He isnt in a position to be "judge" to anyone. ZIP nada.

If presenting Watch Tower literature to a JW means you are an apostate...then theyre all doomed.

Dont say anything...make yourself "unavailable" to their calls and NEVER talk on the phone to them about anything..they call in TWOS and they wont tell you another elder is on the line.

Do NOT accept them into your home if they show up unnanounced. They dont own you...they follow the rest of society's rules and make an appointment..a CONFIRMED appointment and dont show up at your door.

We love you who have gone through this.

good luck kiddo
    Loves

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit