Greetings from Post-Wilma Survivor in Florida

by Nellie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Nellie
    Nellie

Hey All - Glad to be back

In case you've been wondering (and since I haven't been on - no power obviously), the damage down here in Fort Lauderdale is quite extensive. I've been hearing from others that the media has been downplaying the severity of the the hit - but for those of us going through it, it was quite impressive. Supposedly, this is the first real hit in Broward County since the 50's - and honestly, it was the first time I've ever been scared. We've all seen the pictures of the trees blowing on TV, but it takes on a whole new light, when it's the trees outside your house!

The sound of the storm woke me up around 7:45 a.m. My whole family was asleep. I came downstairs to check on the house and found that the front door was slightly opening with the push and pull of the storm - water was coming in through it and I was afraid that it was going to blow off. As I stood there holding the door shut, I was trying to think of what I could do and finally grabbed an extension cord and tied the doorknob to the stair banister to keep it closed.

My husband left one window without shutters because there were so many trees/shrubs in front of it. Well, needless to say, there isn't much left to the trees or shrubs (since the wind was blowing in that direction) but it did allow us a great view of the storm since they were gone!

All in all, we were pretty lucky, we were without power for 3 days, but aside from trees and landscaping, it doesn't appear that we have any structural damage. We obviously lost some food, etc., but there are others around us who weren't so lucky. As we drove around surveying the area, we found many homes who had lost roof tiles, shingles, screened patios, etc. and the damage to those in mobile homes is unbelievable. I'm sure you've seen the pictures before - the main road is littered with pieces from their homes. I pray that none of them were silly enough to stay during the storm.

A major source of frustration has been the radio announcements of water and ice being distributed by (none other than) FEMA. The announcement came on that they were going to give out ice/water at 2:00 at 3 local parks. We drove to one park, only to be turned away by a police officer who said there was NO distribution there and to head to another park. We got there at 1:07 and waited along with probably 700 other vehicles until 4:15 - and STILL no trucks arrived. After we left, we heard through the grapeline that ONE truck showed up! As we sat in the car, there was a press announcement where "someone" was saying the trucks were delayed because they couldn't get GAS to fill up the trucks! Meanwhile, the victims of the storm were using what precious gas we had sitting in lines for hours for nothing! We've got gas stations here, WITH gas, but NO power, so they can't get us the gas!

I'm down to a 1/4 tank - so today's the day I attempt to get gas. But again, I'm NOT complaining - I am one of the lucky ones. My neighbors have been great - we already were really close - but this has been an opportunity for us to really hang out! The other thing that has really been in our favor, is that the temperature has been in the 60's 70's - if this had happened even 2 weeks ago, when we were in the 90's, this would have been really miserable!

Anyway, just thought you'd like to know . . .

• kls
    kls

Hi Nellie and you are a trooper . Even thou others have it worse as you say, you sound to have held up pretty well with your spirits still up .

I can't even imagine what you all have been through but it makes me feel so lucky to have never been in a hurricane but sad all at once for all those everywhere that have .

(((((((((hugs ))))))))) to all that have suffered from the horrible storms this year.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Nellie,

Isn't it amazing how these type of situations can truly bring the best out of some people? I'm so warmed to hear of your situation with the neighbors. Good neighbors are hard to find - harder to keep! I'm glad to hear that you're doing well!!!

As for the FEMA operation...I wish I could say I am surprised. But I am not. Nothing about our government agencies surprises me anymore, especially if it's bad news.

Andi

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

EEK! Sounds like another government cluster F*ck! Glad to hear you and yours came out relativley unscathed. These hurricanes are getting out of hand!

• banished1
    banished1

Whoa Nellie! Glad to hear you made it through! You know, when a report of a big storm comes my way, I'm going to tank up on gas. I never fill it full, but when a big storm comes I think it is time.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Glad to hear you are OK.

Hopefully FEMA or others will get their act together soon

• mouthy
    mouthy

So happy to hear your safe. There were other ex JW that went through Wilma ...I heard from them- they too are fine. Glad your back on board.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Thanks all. You know, after I posted I started thinking about how this "disaster" would have been if I was a practicing Dub who routinely snubbed their neighbors - you know the kind - never let your kids play with their kids, never say more than a faint hello, etc.

Once I checked my messages, I found that 2 brothers did call while I had no power to see if we were okay. Actually, one is "my" bookstudy conductor (haven't been to a bookstudy in well over 2 years) - the other was my fleshly sister's (who couldn't reach her). I guess it was nice of them to call . . .

• luna2
    luna2

Glad you made it through the storm mostly okay, Nellie. I know I'd be stressed at having no electricity for three days, but at least you didn't have to wait weeks. A friend of mine in Miami is hoping her's will be on soon as the building across the street got their's back today.

Don't know what to say about FEMA...they sure have made a bad name for themselves this year. Incredibly disorganized it seems.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Nellie; ((((( hugs & thoughts))))) for you and your family and what you have been dealing with this week.

I`m a Floridian as well on the east coast too, but up from you. We didn`t get much but lots of rain and some powerful wind gusts for about 6 hours. I agree the media has been downplaying this a bit (go figure!) must be some kind of "order"!! But I`ve seen different reports from our local new stations out of Orlando just what you guys are dealing with. Very sad!

I wish you the best in getting back to "normal" as soon as you can. Hang in there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit