JW Urban Ledgends - Fact or Fiction?

by clear2c 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

I can remember one that someone in my family (also a JW) told me and that was related various times, from HER specifically, so -- call me naive and stupid, but I believed her.

She was studying w/ this lady who was progressing somewhat alright in the 'truth'... but, for some reason wasn't progressing like they THOUGHT she should have by then... so this person (family member of mine, back in the 50's or so) asked her if she had anything in her house that maybe was tainted by the devil...any gifts she'd received that she didn't know their origin, or anything spiritistic or demonically influenced. So, the study lady told the JW that she couldn't think of anything. So, my relative helped her look in her house. They found in a closet a ouija board. So, my relative told this lady that she HAD to get rid of it and destroy it. Supposedly the lady did -- in the trash, but for some unknown (spooky music) reason it ended up back in the closet. So, my relative went back to her house and said SHE'D help her destroy it. They took the game outside to a steel drum garbage can and my relative lit a match. Wouldn't you know it.. it didn't burn. Then they poured gasoline all over it and then finally it went up, but not after the board pointer spelling out the words 'G O O D B Y E' before it consumed in flames. Oooohh.... that one always made me think. But, it was weird how my relative would throw in there that she said 'and I spoke 'in the name of Jehovah I declare you to be consumed' ' or something like that. What was all that about?! It was real Exhorcist to me and I thought that we didn't believe in that. (???)

Definitely the smurfs one came around us. I had to scratch the whole front of my lunch box and thermos to get rid of the smurf motif...and then it looked stupid, just blue w/ no design.

I also remember the one about the symbolism on the back of the toothpaste tube -- the little Proctor & Gamble symbol (stars and moon) were supposed to be demonic or something. We had to toss out our Crest toothpastes and Arm & Hammer baking soda in the fridge. LOL!

Too funny! Thanks for making me remember and laugh!

• Candlestick02
    Candlestick02

Oh, remembered one other instance. Some other family members of mine were hearing unexplicable noises in the house . Rather than seeing where these sounds were REALLY coming from (which who knows, it could have been a lose shingle on the roof or something) they instead thought there was SOMETHING in the house that had some demonic presence...so what did they do? they went through MY things and tossed out some of my cd's.

Well, I can't figure out how to paste the image of the front cover of the cd...but it was the first album of Third Eye Blind that 'freiked' them out. So they got rid of that and my Natalie Imbrulia cd's. A few others..oh, this one Spanish rock band that I had too that seemed 'wrong.' Ugh... I was so pissed. Why did they think MY stuff was possessed? What a joke! I smiled the day I went and bought them again. so there!

• james_woods
    james_woods

In light of the recent crazy JW "miracle" stories by some CO - I just thought I would bring back this ancient thread from six years ago.

People who believe that god actually miraculously blows sand they needed from a catholic priest over to their property in the middle of the night are very likely to believe some of the crap in this thread.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

JWs have the Truth. = Fiction!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think what surprisses me with these old threads are the number of people that have moved on. I wonder what I'm doing wrong

• baltar447
    baltar447

Has anyone heard of an urban legend out of mexico about a demon possessed door stop or little man that would tear up the literature and only the children saw it come to life? I could be missing some details since it's been a LONG time since hearing the story. Naturally repeated attempts to get rid of it failed until finally they were able to destroy it.

As an aside, what I have found about the "JW" urban legends is that they often originate with other fundie groups NOT JWs, but naturally JWs eat the shit up and pass it on.

• Nambo
    Nambo

Further embellishments must have been added along the way so by the time we heard these In England, they where even better.

The John Denver one for instance, apparently he does this trick where he takes his hands off his guitar, AND IT PLAYS ITSELF!!!, unfortunately, as JWs are so righetous, this wouldnt work if any where attending his concert, so they had to leave.

The Dangeons and Dragons one involves some brothers playing the game in Bethel, such activities resulted in a demon appearing and asking why he had been summoned in the house of the Lord.

Of course there are other tales of demonic woe, but as I recieved these first hand from the brothers who experienced them, Iam not going to class them as urban legends,

oh, except for one then.

This fella started coming to the meetings who previously had been into demonology.

He had a cat.

One day on field service, in a car with an Elder I also know and trust, this fellas house was a bit further down the road, left at the roundabout and back on itself.

On this particular day however, rather than driving around the corner to his house, this new fella wants the car stopped right away, so he could run across the field to the back of his house.

Car stopped, (driven by Elder), fella opens the door of the car, right next to the car door was his cat, lying on its back completely disemboweled.

This fella was really quite upset by this as well.

I have a horrendous one of my own, which I do hope was just a co-incidence as it was worst than a cat, I still feel like it was my fault, afraid there is no way Iam revealing it here though, in fact I only ever told one Elder about it in my life.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The John Denver one for instance, apparently he does this trick where he takes his hands off his guitar, AND IT PLAYS ITSELF!!!,

I heard that Milli Vanilli could do that too, but it was called lip sync, not demons...

It is hard to imagine that these people latch onto such nonsense while claiming to be enlightened.

They actually accept and fear such things as JuJu and Voodoo as much as the JuJu priests and Voodoo queens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit