How were your presentations?

by Mysterious 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Were you the kind that stayed up for hours the night before finding the perfect point and the perfect scripture...or were you the one that was hastily trying to through something together the morning of and panicking when you realized the circuit overseer was visiting.

And then there was me...I was lucky if I knew which magazines were "it" for that week, lucky if Id read more than the first page, and developed a good deal of improve skill when that 25% "at home" rate popped up on my 1 door in 10. Eeps. Im not sure if anyone realized just how seat of the pants my approach to field service actually was.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

My sales were decent

• Spectre
    Spectre

My scheme was to chat a little bit and wait for them to say that they weren't interested. Worked wonders. Then if they took something, prepare for something on the return visit(tm).

• lola28
    lola28

I always read the first page of the mags and the last, that way I always had something to share but I never stressed out about it. Same with my talks I would always do them 2 hours before the meeting. I kind of feel sorry for the sisters that had to be my householders.

lola

• Spectre
    Spectre

Oh how I hated giving talks. I was always told that they were really good but I hated getting up on stage. I would prepare for them on the day of the talk right after I got off work. Thinking about it now though, there was a time when I would show up and volunteer for the #4 talk just to show off a bit as I had already sorta written up something.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

Presentations??? i always prided myself on being smarter than the rest of them.... I SOLD SOLD SOLD, just by not caring, it was fun to go out with the "elders" and show them up... i guess the competitiveness kept my sales up...

talks? man i learned to do those on the fly...

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I hated giving talks, I was always a nervous wreck before going on the platform. As for the ministry, my mag placements were always pretty good, and I had a persuasive way with people, so I was told.

I am glad I won't be doing either again though, especially the talks.

• twinflame
    twinflame

For service....well, my first hope was that I would be lucky and nobody would come to the door. If they did, I only 'worked' with tracts. I simply said, "We're in your neighborhood sharing these with your neighbors"....handed it to them, said 'Thanks' and walked away. It was all I could ever muster.

For the school...that never bothered me. I figured everybody else there was doing the same lame sh*t and wouldn't care what it sounded like. Besides, it didn't take much thought to act like a parrot and read from the publications. As long as you read verbatim, you couldn't go wrong.

• enigmatic
    enigmatic

well i was quite young when i gave "talks" i always remeber my mom preparing them, i would rehearse, than i would get up there and drone like a zombie hoping it would be over soon...thankfully mom my caught me with some playboys under my bed (6th grade) and they took me off of giving talks, couldn't of been happier...

J

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

Wow, my log on little number that you have to put in was 6667. Are you trying to tell me something? Just kidding.

Presentations at the door were fun because I really enjoyed what I was doing. I mean, I was going up to somebody's house and about to launch into a conversation about one of the most sensitive aspects of a person's life. But, I believed in what I was doing and truely felt that God's Spirit was with me. I tried to talk to the people as people. One of the most rude awakenings I ever got was the realization that there are people out there who just flat don't give a shite about religion. Those folks were always the most challenging, but also, they seemed to be the most honest. And I swear this is true, my fondest dream was to wear my darkest suit, get a black Fedora and sunglasses and start out my presentation with, "Good Morning. I'm on a mission from God." I knew that if I had actually done that, I wouldn't have been DFd, I would have been shot out of a cannon with a high velocity round! But to whip out my harmonica and launch into "Sweet Home Chicago", would've worked with even the most steadfast "householder". I just know it.

As far as talks at the KH, I always tried to try a new facet. Most people seemed to really like my talks because I looked at things from a different angle. Now, can we guess what the "elders" thought of a person looking at the Bible "differently"? Hitler was an a**hole, but he sure knew how to give a public talk, and one time I tried one of his methods on a #4 talk: I went up to the podium and just stood staring out at the crowd for what seemed like eternity, but was probably 30 seconds. Since the "timekeeper" wasn't supposed to start his stopwatch until I started speaking, I thought the dumb little shite was gonna burst an artery. I garuntee you, when I started speaking, I had everybody's attention. The school overseer later told me that he thought that I had forgotten my talk, and I came this close to admitting that I was trying an Adolph method, but I chickened again. Damn!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit