How were your presentations?

by Mysterious 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• banished1
    banished1

I tried to make my presentations at the door very friendly and persuasive.
    But I realized that the householder had to be in a certain mood and frame of mind to receive the info.
    I felt no pain if they refused me. I was always polite. I felt it was their right and freedom to reject me.

At the hall, I figured out the method for giving talks and was able to throw talks together pretty fast if I had about an hour. I was always being called by the sisters to give their talks for them.
    I mistakenly thought all this added effort and goodness on my part would be banked up somewhere for me to draw upon when I needed it.

Sister Goody Two Shoes always had to work in service with Sis. Retard Socially Challenged also.
    Wow, was that a drag until I realized she could be persuaded to quit early and go garage saleing instead!!

• riko
    riko

oh wow, even now the word 'presentation' sends waves of terror through me. As not the most confident person in the world to begin with, I used to shake like crazy when I was holding the mags out to the householder, I must've looked a right tit. My approach was always take as long as I could to introduce the magazines, throw in the words 'bible' and 'jehovahs witnesses' and wait for the door to close in front of me. Much less frightening than them accepting the mags, I was so unprepared for this that I never knew what to say afterwards! As for return visits, it was a case of....'erm, here's the new magazines...um....hope you enjoy them...see you in 2 weeks!' I just never had the confidence or the conviction in what I was preaching

• tfsm
    tfsm

short

• Jez
    Jez

People don't want to be left out of things, so I would say,

"We have been having success talking to your neighbors about...."

or

"Many of your neighbors have enjoyed reading this article/book on..."

Worked almost everytime. Jez

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I began my career as a cult propagandist with the best of intentions, and was always well prepared with points from every article in the magazines, and scriptures too. I sold many magazines to people who bought them just to get rid of me. Eventually I became more skilled in my presentations when I discovered that no one wanted to hear them anyways. I shortened them dramatically, basically reading the title off the cover to the householders, and sales went up. It got to the point where I would not prepare at all, or even read the magazines myself. I'd just go to the door and say to the householder, "You want something to read??? It's FREE!!!"

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit