I can't read the WT and AWAKE anymore

by Jez 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jez
    Jez

Hundreds of supplementary publications written by unnamed authors that can hide behind the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society and say anything without referencing it.

Lately, I have been thinking that this is one of the reasons that the society does not encourage higher education. Try handing in an essay without your name on it, try not referencing your essay, try having no works cited, try to have only 1 works cited, try quoting out of context, try spewing statistics or numbers or trends in your essay with no reference or date, add ellipsis that only alert your instructor to the potential of hidden information, or try presenting as support for your thesis a third party quote.

Your essay would be deemed, "unsupported" and you could fail or receive an extremely low mark, yet JWes not only use the WT and AWAKE 'articles' as guides on how to live life according to bible principles, but encourage others to do so as well !!!

They do nothing for me, they are silly fluff to read now. They insult my intelligence, and I don't even have that much of it to begin with.

• twinflame
    twinflame
    They insult my intelligence

You got that right.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

My mom just gave me the latest WT and Awake mags last week. I haven't read any for over a year and one of the articles was on higher education so I thought it would be interesting to see what the wts had to say. Well I only read 1 paragraph, and then was bored. I felt like I was reading a childrens book.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

My wife brought home a stack of rags last night after the meeting. She started readiing them in front of me, I guess, hoping that I'd take an interest in them.

I've found that I can't read them at all, even perusing through them briefly is an exercise in patience now.

Third grade reading material is not my cup of tea.

• watch the tower
    watch the tower

Spirituality for Dummies.

The pattern is the same for every issue:

Awake:

- Opening article featuring the cover story. Normally featuring a general overview of a particular social issue.

- Article on the preceding, stating statistics and facts backing up the seriousness of the issue

- Article tying in how God's kingdom will solve the problem. Last sentence.."Very soon, (insert problem here) will be a thing of the past!"

- Article on the geographic location of the month

- Article on animal of the month

- Something about arts/crafts or exotic food item usually from a correspondant from some country. '"How to make a coasters out of bamboo shoots"

- Watching the world featuring 2 small comic illustrations.

Watchtower

- Cover story -Any "heavy" sounding Bible topic. Title is in the form of a question.

- See bullet point #2 from Awake

- See bullet point #3 from Awake

- Study article 1

- Study article 2

- Experience of some 80-100 yr old couple. Make sure to check out the before(br and sis. so and so pioneering in 1956) and after pictures (so and so today).

- Questions from readers

Congratulations! You have just read every issue of both magazines printed in recent memory..

Talk about catching up on your personal study

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

This seems like a logical time to bring up ackack's table of contents generator! Uproarious fun! Happifying to the max!

http://neocrat.com/toc.php

• VM44
    VM44

The WT and AWAKE would receive A++ top marks in PROPAGANDA 101! --VM44

• steve2
    steve2

Given that the same old stuff is churned out, issue after bland issue, you won't be missing out on anything by no longer reading them.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I always called the awake "readers digest lite" My wife was not amused...

They say in the forward that they report the "news" What are they talking about???

They sure don't look like Time or Newsweek to me...

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

My mother has them laying all over her house. I see but do not touch. There's just no point in burning the calories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit