The dreaded conversation.......

by LDH 22 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Well, it happened.

Just this morning I was talking to my aunt, a life-long book sales rep for the WBTS. She asked me, "Lisa, do you ever think you'll come back?"

I replied, "Come back to what? I haven't gone away?"

--> You Know, the TRUTH.

--> Auntie, I don't believe for one second that 11 white men and one token black speak for Jehovah. He doesn't live in Brooklyn and he doesn't want us to spend our leves selling worthless books.

OH MY GOD why did I say that? That's when the threats kicked in. "Well You'll be sorry one day soon because your children are going to pay for you not being JW."

--> Oh really, Jehovah is going to kill my children because I don't go to the Hall? Now I REALLY am not interested in going back.

OH MY GOD. This is going to go around the family like hotcakes, I'll just wait to report until I've been dragged in front of the elder's committee for talking against Jehovah's "organization."

The lines of 'reasoning' she used-- One, I told her I had been doing research for the past two years. She said, "Research can get you into trouble." "Oh, so are we just supposed to take what a man says on blind faith; That's not what the Boreans did." "No it's not blind faith. If you see the sun come up, you don't have to be told."

I said, that's right. But the sun doesn't waver. It comes up and stays up for the whole day. UNLIKE the 'Twelve angry men.'

I asked her, "How the hell should I, a married woman with one child and another on the way, supposed to take advice from a bunch of dried up old men who've never had a family?"

CLICK.

• claudia
    claudia

Lisa, when I hear stories like yours I am so happy that I was never baptised. I can say anything I want without fear of being shunned. Yikes! good luck!

• bboyneko 2
    bboyneko 2
    "Well You'll be sorry one day soon because your children are going to pay for you not being JW."

--> Oh really, Jehovah is going to kill my children because I don't go to the Hall? Now I REALLY am not interested in going back.

I posted in the thread
    .. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=9967&site=3

Some scriptures about this very thing. It is stressed several times in the bible that children should never be punsished for the sinfs of their parents, each one his own sin. Yet there are other scriptures where a very pissed off YHWH punishes not just the sons of some sinful parents, but several generations of children for the sins of their parents. He even says 'I will punish the sons for the sins of their fathers'

Dosent currrent christian beleif carry that we are suffering because of the sins of Adam and Eve? This cornerstone of christian beleif is exactly one of countless reasons I cannot beleive in it.
    -Dan

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Well, I guess this had to happen some time. Best of luck, Lisa. ***HUGS*****

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Good for you lisa.

Sometimes I wonder if it's better to come right out and tell it like it is. No dishonesty, no pretending. Then again, there are times when i choose convenience over controversy, when I don't want to kill their hopes and the "possibility" of a "return".

I think I feel more at peace when I'm honest, even though they are more angry. Probably what makes me more angry is how (like you mentioned) the conversations you have in private make the rounds through the gossip mill.

Path

• joelbear
    joelbear

Its hard for anyone who loves truth and honesty to keep holding it back.

Hopefully, not all of your family will react badly.

hugs

Joel

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I agree with Pathofhorns on this, regarding the gossip mill. Everything you said will be distorted and will make you out to be a very bad person. I wish it does not have to be this way. Thank God my family is not Jehovah's Witnesses.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• TMS
    TMS

Lisa.

Many of us fear the "dreaded conversation", as you put it. My folks are 85 and 81. Believe me, it is not out of cowardice, but only to spare them the stress, that I have side-stepped certain issues. Any other relatives or siblings can be dealt with easily, once the folks are gone.

I always feel a certain satisfaction, Lisa, when I think of how your two offspring and any that follow will be spared the pain and non-fulfillment of a JW upbringing.

TMS

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Good for you Lisa! I too am at the point where I know I'm going to say something to my family, I'm just not going to be able to hold back any longer. I'm even having dreams almost every night that I'm debating with either my family, or my in-laws. I wish you well!

BW

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

sigh ... and there's me worrying cos i have an elder call every two weeks and i don't know if i'm ever gonna broach the subject with him ... i feel soooo soooo sorry for all you friends out there who have family probs like this - jehovah has to act at some time to bring this farce to an end ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit