Baptisum question change?

by twolips 12 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

Look how much the questions have changed if you go way back...

The Watch Tower, May 15, 1913 page 159:

(1) Have you repented of sin with such restitution as you are able, and are you trusting in the merit of Christ's sacrifice for the forgiveness of your sins and the basis of your justification?

(2) Have you made a full consecration of yourself with all the powers that you possess—talent, money, time influence—all to the Lord, to be used faithfully in His service, even unto death?"

(3) On the basis of these confessions, we acknowledge you as a member of the household of faith, and give to you as such the right hand of fellowship, not in the name of any sect or party or creed, but in the name of the Redeemer, our glorified Lord, and his faithful followers.

The Watch Tower, October 1, 1942 page 302:

(1) Do you believe in Jehovah God the Father, that "salvation belongeth unto Jehovah", and that Christ Jesus is his Son in whose blood your sins are washed away and by whom salvation comes to you from God?

(2) Have you therefore confessed your sins to God and asked for cleansing by Christ Jesus, and therefore turned away from sin and the world, and consecreted yourself without reservation to God to do his will?

The Watchtower, July 1, 1955 pages 411, 412:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him the Father through his Son Christ Jesus?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Christ Jesus and through the Bible under the enlightenment of the holy spirit?

The Watchtower, May 15, 1968 page 297:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son, Jesus Christ?"

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

The Watchtower, June 1, 1985 page 30:

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

• TopHat
    TopHat

On the day of my baptizmal, my husband drove me and the Lady that studied with me to the place for baptizing in water, to meet up with all the others. Well, My ubm tuned into the Baseball game on the car radio and just as they were playing "The Star Spangled Banner" He unconsciously started singing along. What an embarrassment!!

• bennyk
    bennyk

I was baptized pre-1985. When the change in the vow questions came in 1985, I could not believe my ears; for years previous, the WTS had declared that it was improper and unchristian to baptise into an organisation -- that was something false religious groups did! A heavy weight crushed my heart that day....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit