Baptisum question change?

by twolips 12 Replies latest jw friends

• twolips
    twolips

Thank you in advance. I cant get search to work.

I need the change in wording for the questions. The year this happened too.

My daughter does not believe me.

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

my mom had no idea what I was talking about when I asked her also. So I second the request. What were the question? What are they now?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Pre-1985, the questions asked of us had to do with dedicating our lives to Jehovah and His Son, Jesus Christ. From 1985 on, the questions were changed to basically pledge allegience to Jehovah's ORGANIZATION. I scanned the last page of my "Lamp" book, but I don't know if it will be legible at this size:

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

*** w73 5/1 p. 280 Baptizing Follows Discipling ***

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before
    Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you
    acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his
    Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you
    dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you
    through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy
    spirit?

*** w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated
    yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses
    in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

W

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

(3) Do you understand by answer "yes" to question (2) that you are voluntarily placing shackles and incredibly heavy weights upon yourself and your family for the rest of your life, which, by the way, WILL be spent in this "system of things" and not in the ever-elusive Paradise Earth?

Nina

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    (3) Do you understand by answer "yes" to question (2) that you are voluntarily placing shackles and incredibly heavy weights upon yourself and your family for the rest of your life, which, by the way, WILL be spent in this "system of things" and not in the ever-elusive Paradise Earth?

They must have asked that one while my ears were filled with water.

W

• blondie
    blondie
    2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible (but no mention of "through his organization") under the enlightening power of the holy
    spirit?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses (not identifying you as a Christian though) in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

I was baptized in 1969 so answered the first set of questions in the affirmative. No mention of the organization, just God and Jesus and the holy spirit just like Matthew 28 says. I was still an active JW in 1985 but by then never listened to the baptism talk which I considered the most boring and trite talk given by the WTS. So I missed this change until I started lurking on ex-JW DBs. Makes you wonder what else I "slept" through.

Blondie

• thom
    thom

I was unaware of the change too until I left. But I beat it by one year (baptised in 1984).

• twolips
    twolips

Thanks Blondie

I missed it too.

Repetion for mind numbness.

• proplog2
    proplog2

There is another post on this forum asking what you can say to a JW that might wake them up.

Perhaps a little card with these two vows should be carried in ones wallet. Simply ask JW's why the wording change.

Has anyone heard an official reason for the change in the vows?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit