So NO Russians ever walked on the moon? None?

by AlmostAtheist 39 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Nope Dave, no Ruskies on the moon, I don't know where ya got that one from...

Wasn't there an Awake! on it? "Those Wonderful Cosmonauts!" I think it was called... I'll have to check up on it...

The poster is right about conspiracies adjusting to the point where they simply can't be disproven.

The point about spotting the landing site from earth is an interesting one. Do we have any optical telescopes with a resolution good enough to pick out those details? I know the moon is right next door, but getting a clean shot of a gray, dusty VW bug through atmosphere from 1/4 million miles away sounds like quite a challenge. Maybe with Hubble? Then you're in no atmosphere. No idea, but it's a neat thought.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they spotted it and found that it had been smashed by a meteor? Or found Elvis tooling around in it?

Dave

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here's the answer with the Hubble question:

http://www.wonderquest.com/hubble.htm

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

From Leo's site: (Thanks for this!!!!!!!!)

Q: Can the Hubble Space Telescope discern any manmade equipment left behind on the moon? -- Ted

A: No. The Hubble Space Telescope (resolution of 0.014 arc seconds) is mighty good but not that good. An arc second is 1/3600th of a degree: a tiny, tiny angle.

When we look through Hubble at the full moon, it appears to have a diameter of only 1800 arc seconds. That's the whole moon. The actual moon is 3,463 kilometers (2,152 miles) across. So, an arc second of the Moon's actual diameter is 3463 km / 1800 arcsec or 1.92 kilometers of actual Moon distance. Hence, Hubble's keenest look is 27 meters (30 yards) of actual Moon distance or about a third the size of a football field. The three-meter lunar rover wouldn't show up even as a speck. Nor would any other abandoned equipment.

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

oh pulllleeeeesssseeeee......

To keep the thousands of folk quiet who worked on the Apollo launches; no deathbed confessions etc would be ASTONISHING...

I wonder about the educational level of the 6% who 'don't believe'....

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

The Apollo "moon landing" was staged in the same Nevada hanger Super Bowl XXVI was filmed and played in (Buzz almost forget his "space helmit" just as Thurman Thomas forgot his football helmit.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

No, no Russians on the moon. They were SO in the lead in the late and mid sixties. The current Soviet manned-capsule is the same basic design as the end of that period, as is the rocket that launches it. They have had no fatalities in the period the Shuttle lost two entire crews. And in addition to the other firsts listed, had the first space-walk and first two and three-crew launch.

They were ready to go, but their big rocket consistantly failed... probably due to the ridiculously high number of seperate engines the first stage used (The Saturn V had seven I think, the Russian one had well over twenty.

During the last days of the war, the Russians and Americans were BOTH trying to get the German rocket scientists. Von Braun was succesful in getting himself and most of his team into American hands, and the Americans got a lot of partially-made V2's and other equipemt.. The Soviets moved a lot of the scientists who got left behind, and skilled manufacturing staff, to Russia.

Von Braun was a war criminal who would have probably hung if he hadn't been so useful. He personally selected slave labour as a major part of his projects workforce (more people died making it than from the V2 rockets they made).

Korolev headed the most succesful Soviet team. He died unexpecetdly in 1966. If he had lived, the Russian's may just have pipped Apollo to the post.

The Russian's almost developed their own space shuttle. Here's the prototype

alt

... apparently now it is a theme-park restaurant...

• TD
    TD

They were ready to go, but their big rocket consistantly failed... probably due to the ridiculously high number of seperate engines the first stage used.

I agree.

Block A of the N1 had 30 individual liquid rocket engines. Block B had eight and Block V had four. That's a lot of engines!

Besides the N1, the L3 program had other design oddities. The L3 layout had no connection between the orbiter and lander. If the Russians had gotten that far, the second cosmonaut would have had to make a spacewalk to transfer in and out of the LK lander before and after his trip to the surface.

The Soviets were definitely ahead of the Americans in the early 60's, but as far as their respective lunar programs were concerned, this was certainly not true by the late 60's.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2
    To keep the thousands of folk quiet who worked on the Apollo launches; no deathbed confessions etc would be ASTONISHING...

Exactly...my god people...not EVERYTHING the US Government is involved with is fake.

Put down the remote, and step away from your X-Files DVD collection.

• enigmatic
    enigmatic

Don't knock the Russkies they have good Vodka and HOT women.

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

Btw, were the nazi's not the first to put a man made object into space with the V2?

J

Edit:excuse the sloppiness of the post, I dont use IE so I can't quote or anything.....

• avishai
    avishai
    well, the same shuttles they're using now were new in the 60s...

Uhh, no. They were built in the mid to late 1970's. The first one was'nt rolled out until 1976, and it was'nt fully functional even then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit