It's all been done before...the newbies got me thinking...

by wanderlustguy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

This isn't a negative observation at all, but I've noticed with all the new people here, there are a lot of things I remember being said before being said again. Some of the things I assumed when I first came here, many are doing again...and it's very interesting to watch. I guess the human race is very cyclical. Maybe I've just been here long enough that the cycle has been completed enough and with enough people that now it's redundant, for lack of a better word.

One thing that still interests me though is the different personalities of those that come through, and sometimes the prejudices they make in a very short time, like I did. Like for defd for example, at first I thought he had no business here, but now I know he is as much a part of this whole exiting thing as any of us. Even if sometimes it's to give us a contrast to compare ourselves to. We could go on and on about the "new" observations that someof us who have been here a while may have had at one time or another.

So why don't we? You old timers...have the newbies said anything that makes you sit back and say, damn...I remember when?

WLG

• kid-A
    kid-A

I agree WLG,

What the watchtower apologists dont seem to get is that they just "reinforce" our reasons for leaving the borg by illustrating and reminding us of how our own psychological barriers and defenses operated when we were still brainwashed. Same goes for the non-jw x-tian fundamentalists.....

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Oh-oh.... WLG is thinking again!

I have found this same perspective in any "healing" work I've done. We come in broken in some way, we find what we need to heal, and later we/I wonder "wow! was I really there?!?"

Books that I used to read and was amazed that "OMG how did s/he know I'd be feeling or thinking THAT!" are like reading childrens books.

And yes, people like DefD have a place here. He puts perspective on why I am no longer a JW, and why I have as open a mind and heart as I do.

And the cycles begin anew. Is't it amazing?

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    Oh-oh.... WLG is thinking again!

Don't worry, I don't plan to make it a habit.

Wish I could see you guys this weekend, hope you all have a blast.

WLG

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

It hasn't been that long since I came on this board...but I've found it very entertaining to go back and look at my very first posts. Kind of embarassing too...but that's life!lol

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Even if sometimes it's to give us a contrast to compare ourselves to. We could go on and on about the "new" observations that someof us who have been here a while may have had at one time or another.

I sense that this is one of the most therapeutic parts of being a part of a 'healing community' like this one. Some people will never heal - they don't want to really. Others will heal at an unbelievable rate [take Ithinkisee's wife for example - sorry I forget her screen name].

The entire journey that we have made is in parts and parcel with the position these people find themselves now. Kinda like survivors of a shipwreck being able to actually help the next generation of survivors. A unique and privilaged position to occupy.

Some unfortunately do not want to get off the 'island of illusion' - and my patience is thinner than some with that. Most however appreciate the help that a community like this can give. I know I did.

My thanx to all that were of aid in that regard when I came on board her just about a year back now. I dare not name names, lest I miss some of these invaluable assetts.

Thanx to all the apologists too - they help me see how blind one can get, and how blind I was. Makes me love the fact that I can finally see all the more. Thanx scholar, defd et al.

And thanx WLG for this thought provoking thread.

Jeff

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Wish I could see you guys this weekend, hope you all have a blast.

It's not this weekend! It's Nov. 5th. The next weekend. So... ya gonna come out?

Pester.

Pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester pester

Huh?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well I've been here for a long time and have seen the cycle many times.

But the nice thing is that the way someone posts a question will sometimes have me think about something in a differetn way.

I often compare recovery to doing a jugsaw. We finish one part of the puzzle and things settle down and then something comes along and part of the puzzle begins to fall into place.

It's sort of like reading a book and getting some points (the ones you need at the time) and then go back and reread it and wonder how you missed so much the first time around.

As we progress so do our needs to deal with new pieces of the puzzle.

After all this time I'm still learned and I hope that always continues

• kristyann
    kristyann

I am a newbie (obviously)... so sorry if I say things that everyone else has already discussed, etc. I don't mean to bore anyone or anything! Who is defd, anyways? A JW? Was he disfellowshipped? (Sorry, I am still so new that I don't know everything that goes on yet)... it's weird, though, that if that's who he is, he takes it upon himself to go on an ex-JW site when I'm sure the Society that he loves so much and preaches to everyone about would disapprove of what he's doing... but if he's here, good for him, maybe it will get him to think.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

It certainly does get me to thinking. It gets me to thinking what can I do or say to make the transition easier for these people than it was for me. And it goest me to thinking what have I said or done before that helped someone, and what changes might I make to be more effective. Since my interest in career paths right now is very much towards counselling I find it invaluable when people share their life experiences and healing process here on this board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit