It's all been done before...the newbies got me thinking...

by wanderlustguy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I read a comment by a first time poster just this morning that was very profound (at least to me it was) and I told myself that I needed to remember it for future use.

Even though it is cyclical with people coming and going, and the same old scandals being discovered for the first time by newbies, it does help to see it through fresh eyes. I think it helps us remember what we went through when we first started exiting and how hard it can be.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Who is defd, anyways? A JW? Was he disfellowshipped?

DefD is a current JW poster. He has mellowed considerably since he's been here, even acknowledging that some here were wrongfully DF'd. If every JW were like him, the Watchtower would not be happy. And you're right, it's good that he's here.

You can read his post history and topic history here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/member/17237.ashx Edited to add: He said "defd" is a nickname he's had for years, he's not disfellowshipped.

Dave

• Jez
    Jez

For me, it is the fear that newbies exhibit. They are so afraid that they WILL be destroyed at Armageddon, or disfellowshipped for apostasy, so afraid to stop suppressing their human tendancy to question, ask, and THINK for themselves.

I remember that fear so well. It no longer wells up and bursts through. "BUT what IF they are right, what IF..?"

They aren't right and once I let myself critically think, I realized it. In the meantime, I hope they know that many have taken the journey and personally, to say that I am happier for it, is an understatement.

Cheers, Jez

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    I am a newbie (obviously)... so sorry if I say things that everyone else has already discussed, etc

Lord no, don't ever think that...it's a GOOD thing!!!!!

• onesong
    onesong

I'm a newbie here but I'm not at all afraid. The monsters in my closet no longer exist, I've grown up! Also my apologies if I bore anyone-but I love this forum!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

NEWBIES: Keep posting!!!!

You never know when a question you ask or a comment you make will help someone else. If some find it boring they have a mouse and with a click of the mouse........ ZAP

You would not believe how often people PM me and tell me some things I have posted have helped them. Over and over I get thanked for putting the Best of series together. The best of... series is made up of everyone's post. And every single person here was at one time a NEWBIE.

• vitty
    vitty

When I first went on the internet and found out the truth, the scandles, they way DFs peeps had been treated, I thought the end of the WT was iminent.................LOL

Some of the experiences had happened nearly 20 years ago, the same time I was going in the org.

So the questions I had asked had been asked before...........its the same today newbies have the same fears and questions as we all did.

The WT is a revolving door, I dont know if newbies say anything new to make me think, they just reinforce, how wrong the WT is.

• defd
    defd

DefD is a current JW poster. He has mellowed considerably since he's been here,

I have to admit he is right. I did come here with an attitude. I already admitted I HAVE learned something from here. Not that I am not in the truth, but I have MANY things to work on. Some is compassion, patience and understanding. All at the same time, not tolerating BLATENT rivalry against Jehovah God and Jesus. So YOU all have taught me SOMETHING thanks.

D.

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about me? I and my fellow UBM's field an "I am in love with a JW" thread once every couple of weeks. It takes work to give a response that is not laced with cynicism. I have to remind myself (BOK BOK knocking head) how determined people are who are in love. No mountain is too high, no river too swift they cannot cross....

It helps, and I agree wanderlustguy, it see each new poster as a unique human being with their own adorable traits.

Like growth and seasons, everything cycles. I expect it will be time for me to leave within a year or so. If I don't, I'll be holding back the development of my replacement (s), some of the newbies on this board, who are more compassionate, more articulate, and dryer humor than I have. All I have to do is give them room to grow. This, I believe, is the natural order of things.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Well I've only been on here since the beginning of 2002. By then I had been disf'ed for 6 months and had just finished Crisis of Conscious book by Ray Franz. Up until that point I had planned to one day be reinstated and I tried my best to defend how I felt on other forums. For me that was a waking up and the beginning of reasoning things out. I still see that the JW experience is very broad and lots of empathy is needed to converse here. Empathy is not a strong part of the JW speak, and that is too bad. They certainly need it. With all JW's are told in the Kingdom Halls and assemblies about how evil disf'ed ones are or how evil apostates are and never to listen to them is it any wonder newbies are frightened of us all.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit