Why don't witnesses celebrate their Baptismal Anniversary?

by JH 10 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

They celebrate their wedding anniversaries, so since baptism is even more important than marriage,"says the watchtower", why don't they celebrate it?

Not that I would celebrate it though....

• rebel8
    rebel8

There was a thread a while back about not celebrating even the baptism itself too much. I think someone quoted an article saying there shouldn't be parades and people shouting out "whoop whoop". Can't recall why.

• Jordan
    Jordan

Not really sure, but I guess they see it as another year they've been dedicated to god, but nothing's happened (i.e. the new system still ain't here...)

• TopHat
    TopHat

That's a good question....If JWs did celebrate their baptizimal date....It would make them feel closer to the Borg and less likely to fade or DA.

Now you went and done it! Put ideas in the GB heads.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

My understanding is that it would bring "too much attention" to the individual, where the dubs insist on their glory going to Jehovah. Ya, whatever.
    tall penguin

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

I used to know the date of my baptism but have long forgotten it. I like to think of it as just another bad decision in an otherwise boring youth. I only regret that I didn't knock off some more tail before getting baptized. The 3 years in between were a killer.

• blondie
    blondie

The only time a JW has needed to know the date of their baptism was:

When the Lamp book came out and had a page in it where the PO signed and you signed and put in the date of your baptism.

I think the the OD book has a page like that now.

At one time to get publications such as the Insight books and the Proclaimer book at the conventions, you needed proof of your baptism date because there weren't enough books for everybody. At one convention, you initially had to be baptized for 25 years and eventually by Sunday it was 15 years. They used the "blood card" to determine that but only the number of years are on it, not the date.

Blondie

• lola28
    lola28

There is something to celebrate?

lola

• skin
    skin

Good question, why don't we celebrate our Baptismal Anniversary?

I have never heard of this one. Is this new?

I know many wittness's who do celebrate it and we have never been told not too by any one. At least not here in New Zealand.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Hmm.. As I recall, at the assembly or convention talk prior to the baptism ceremony they'd make a big deal that that date was the most important date of your life. So, good question JH. I still remember my day, Dec 3 1989. In part because I had a crush on the girl who got dunked with me, but she never gave me the time of day. I definitely recall admonishments to not "whoop whoop" the occasion but to politely applaud was okay. Some more affluent dub families would lavish the baptismed kids with all kinds of gifts. My parents gave me and some select friends at the time a nice dinner.

w60 5/15 pp. 308-309 "What Prevents Me from Getting Baptized?" ***

The baptized ones should remember the day; it is the day of their symbolizing their dedication because of which dedication they receive an ordination to preach the good news of the kingdom of heaven. They should make a notation of it, the date and the year, lest they ever forget it. And they should remember also that that day of great and deep joy is no time to show hilarity or fanaticism; it is a serious occasion, and the ones undergoing baptism should have a prayerful attitude, just as we read about Jesus, that he prayed when he went up out of the water.

Maybe this has something to do with why JWs were and are averse to celerating one's baptismal day - the baptism of Christ was tied to the day of his birth by the apostate church.

w60 12/15 p. 742 Why Do They Celebrate December 25? ***

Cullmann says: "We see that from the first half of the fourth century the Church celebrated Epiphany on January 6 and that in this celebration she united the baptism and the birth of Christ. Nothing was taken away from the original celebration of the baptism; the celebration of the birth was simply added to it."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit