My simple answer for AlmostAthiest.

by defd 34 Replies latest jw friends

• defd
    defd

Hey, this was your question for me yesterday

"If the faithful and discreet slave can -- by their own admission -- make mistakes, and since they are the ones that identified themselves as the FDS, isn't it possible that they were mistaken about their identity?"

I thought about it and this is my reply.

" For YOU did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but YOU received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, Father!” The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together." Romans 8:15-17

From this scripture my answer to you would have to be no. They cannot be mistaken about their Identity. Now, that doesnt mean that some may, can, and have lost that calling by becomeing wicked. Just because you are of the anointed does not mean you receive a "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD" you know what I mean?"However, the inspired utterance says definitely that in later periods of time some will fall away from the faith,"..........1Tim 4:1 Some people may CLAIM to be of the Anointed as a way to Misdirect Jesus sheep. It was done in the past in the 1st Century Congregation and Satan sticks with what works. I hope this is good enough to satisfy your curiosity about how I think. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE coached me on what to say, I didnt look up ANY WT articles. This came from ME and the scripture I put down.

D.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Just because you are of the anointed does not mean you receive a "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD"

Sorry to disappoint you Defd, but that is precisely what it does mean.

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.." (Romans 8:1)

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

"Some people may CLAIM to be of the Anointed as a way to Misdirect Jesus sheep. It was donee in the past in the 1st Century Congregation...."

DFed:

I hope I am not taking your quote out of context but If Im not mistaken, according to the WTS teaching, ALL of the first century christians were of the annointed do they could not pretend to claim to be annointed since they were

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

defd:

From this scripture my answer to you would have to be no. They cannot be mistaken about their Identity.

I don't see how that follows. What about BrownBoy/EliJah? He also claims to be the Faithful and Discreet Slave. Can he be mistaken about his identity? If so, why not the leaders of the Watchtower?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

1 John 2:26-29 — These things I write YOU about those who are trying to mislead YOU. And as for YOU, the anointing that YOU received from him remains in YOU, and YOU do not need anyone to be teaching YOU; but, as the anointing from him is teaching YOU about all things, and is true and is no lie, and just as it has taught YOU, remain in union with him. So now, little children, remain in union with him, that when he is made manifest we may have freeness of speech and not be shamed away from him at his presence. If YOU know that he is righteous, YOU gain the knowledge that everyone who practices righteousness has been born from him.

So, the channel is...Jesus, Holy Spirit, individuals...Hmmmm. Plainly. In the NWT. "YOU do not need anyone to be teaching YOU." John said plainly that there is no need of any human(s) to exercise teaching authority over other humans. Why does the Governing Body assume teaching authority when the Bible says they have none?

Are the Great Crowd "practicing righteousness," too? Are they "born from him," too? No. Not according to the Governing Body (ghost writers for the Faithful and Discreet Slave). But John specifically said the only ones who would have that knowledge are the ones who do not know he is righteous. This is a puzzler.

AuldSoul

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    according to the WTS teaching, ALL of the first century christians were of the annointed do they could not pretend to claim to be annointed since they were

Littlerockguy:

I think what defd may be alding to is the gnostics who were a constant disturbance to the groups of christians in the first century. The NT writers spend quite a deal of time in combating gnostic thought.

So, I s'pose on that basis not ll "anointed" were 'the real thing'.

No, I don't believe it in those terms either, but the dubs do!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

AuldSoul:

A case of "what a tangled web we weave when we set out to deceive" , eh? The WTS have woven the web of deceit and spend endless hours and publications seeking to explain it!

The truth is that the christian hope as described in the NT allows for only one destiny, not two as the Borg demands.

The matter of "the anointed" etc is irrelevant to a christian, at least as far as belonging to a "class".

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

According to the Bible, there was much more than an inward sense as proof of anointment. However, whether you agree with defd or not it still leaves this question on the table: Of the 8,000 and more partakers, who really are "the anointed?"

You don't know. I don't know. The Governing Body doesn't know. The partakers don't know whic of the others are or are not. So how can anyone claim to have identified Christ's "brothers" if they don't even know who Christ's "brothers" are? But, we know who the Governing Body is. And we look to them for guidance and name them the spokespersons for the Slave. And we lie to ourselves and to them in doing it.

AuldSoul

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

They are because they say so, I suppose!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I got my name in a thread! I got my name in a thread! :-)

Some people may CLAIM to be of the Anointed as a way to Misdirect Jesus sheep. It was done in the past in the 1st Century Congregation and Satan sticks with what works. I hope this is good enough to satisfy your curiosity about how I think. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE coached me on what to say, I didnt look up ANY WT articles. This came from ME and the scripture I put down.

I believe you, and good job for reasoning this out on your own. Allow me to say, though, that I don't think you actually answered my question. Or more likely, I didn't state my question properly.

Let us assume for the sake of argument that the members of the governing body are "annointed". They have the spirit bearing witness with their spirit and the whole shmeer.

The question is, Is it possible that they are mistaken in identifying themselves with the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" from Jesus' parable?

They have explained that this slave is a "class" of people made up of the annointed, but is it possible that they are wrong about that? They have been wrong about other things, and they are not infallible by their own admission. So is it possible that they have misunderstood this parable and inappropriately taken this title to themselves? (Again, it's only a question of possibility)

It's not a question of annointing, I'm sorry if I stated the question ambiguously.

Would you be willing to answer that question? Or if not answer it publicly, at least think about it?

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit