2006 Yeartext: Obey!

by Severus 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Severus
    Severus

The Examining the Scriptures Daily 2006 has been released. The JW rites of surprise and expectation over the new year's text are now at a fever pitch.

It seems that the theme "Godly Obedience" was such a hit at the 2005 District Conventions, that the Governing Body has served up an extra helping. Tuck in!

es06-E pages 5 & 6:

2006 Yeartext

"We must obey God as ruler rather than men." -Acts 5:29.

Those words were spoken by Simon Peter and other apostles when before the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem. They were on trial for disobeying the authorities. The account is recorded in detail at Acts 5:12-32.

The high priest charged the apostles: "We positively ordered you not to keep teaching upon the basis of [Jesus'] name, and yet, look! you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you are determined to bring the blood of this man upon us." Those words had serious implications. These men were not only disobeying orders but also disturbing the peace! All of that seems to have a familiar ring.

Throughout history, Jehovah's servants have met with stiff opposition and harsh persecution because of their refusal to compromise their faith. Among the preChristian "cloud of witnesses" listed by the apostle Paul in Hebrews chapter 11, there are hardly any who had not suffered in one way or another for their faith. Similarly, first-century Christians were beaten, imprisoned, and killed because they refused to `stop speaking about the things they had seen and heard' about the resurrected Jesus Christ.-Heb. 12:1; Acts 4:20.

In modern times, Jehovah's Witnesses have been viciously persecuted-in dictatorial countries and democratic lands alike-for preaching the good news of the Kingdom. What has enabled our faithful brothers to stand firm? Undoubtedly it is their resolve to live up to Peter's inspiring words: "We must obey God as ruler rather than men." And we have every confidence that God's people will continue to do so when such circumstances come upon them.

Of course, at the moment, many of us enjoy relative freedom, both in our worship and in our daily life. However, this does not mean that we are completely free from tests and trials. On the contrary, there are many things-big and small-in everyday life that require us to demonstrate where we stand on the matter of obedience.-1 Cor. 10:31.

Consider, for example, a Christian youth with unbe lieving parents or a Christian wife with an unbelieving husband. In each case, the Christian is under the headship of the father or the husband. While not challenging his headship, neither the child nor the wife will compromise his or her faith. When it comes to attending Christian meetings, preaching the good news, avoiding unchristian customs and practices, and so on, each one "must obey God as ruler rather than men," remembering that Jehovah God is Head over all.-1 Cor. 11:3; Col. 3:23.

What about a single Christian man or woman seeking a marriage mate? Or brothers and sisters who must have daily contact with non-Witness coworkers? Or those who have to face the neutrality issue? Or a Christian needing medical treatment that could involve the blood issue? The list can go on and on. In fact, we can be sure that as we come ever closer to the end of this wicked system of things, trials and pressures will only intensify. How comforting to know that the Governing Body has our best interests at heart by selecting as the yeartext for 2006 Peter's courageous and resolute statement before the Sanhedrin! May we be equally courageous and resolute in facing whatever trials or tests that may come our way, keeping firmly in mind that "we must obey God as ruler rather than men."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Hey thanks -thanks that is early information that I had not heard

• Cellist
    Cellist

Sorry, I couldn't bring myself to finish reading that.

Cellist

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I couldn't bring myself to begin reading it.......

• gringojj
    gringojj
    How comforting to know that the Governing Body has our best interests at heart

Yes, how truly comforting.

How fortunate we are!

Resplendent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    I couldn't bring myself to begin reading it.......

ditto

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

So, I guess the Governing Body doesn't fully realize that they are men, not God, considering all the obedience they are continuing to demandAnd those who DO realize this?...well, watch out for that faithful and discreet slave-driver...

~Merry

• joanne_
    joanne_

The real question is...Godly obedience or WT obedience? We all know on this forum that it is WT obedience.

• Soledad
    Soledad

The main gist of it is: Obey us (Governing Body) and continue to act like crazed fanatic lunatics, even if it means alienating your spouse, your children and your community. The end is coming...........real soon!

• kiddotan
    kiddotan

wow, this is some scary stuff for a person who hasn't been there. I admire the strength of those here. whew

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit