Why do YOU trust the bible?

by gringojj 16 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysam
    lonelysam

I have found an interesting fact on all of this, and i know you all would know it already, but here it is just in case. in the dead sea scrolls it says that the earth is round, these scrolls were written thousands of years ago, when no one knew about the earth being round. Not just this but the translation of the bible nowadays isnt much (if any at all) different to what it was back then, according to these dead sea scrolls. feel free to coment on this

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

Hi LonelySam,

Dont be fooled into believing that the dead sea scrolls are somehow the oldest set of scrolls which say that the earth is round. ). The Greek philosopher Pythagoras, who was born in 532 B.C.E., defended the spherical theory on the basis of observations he had made of the shape of the sun and moon... If this information was known by educated Greeks and Egyptians during biblical times, its use by Isaiah is nothing special.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

First, Terry, that was a great analagy about the pharmasist.

Second, regarding the "round" earth.. Round isn't spherical. I've heard that over and over, how they "knew" this thousands of years ago. They did think it was round and flat. We now know that the earth is NOT flat, but shaped more like a sphere. How would what you say make me believe the bible? It actually is just one more nail in the coffin.

Sherry

• gringojj
    gringojj

The idea that the earth is round is a fairly easy conclusion to come to for an astronomer or deep thinkers. Look at the sun, look at the moon. They are both round. Then think of the problems that would arise if the world were flat. To someone who understands how nature works it could easily be deduced that the world was round. If I remember correctly, it was the chruch that maintained the earth was flat and condemned those who thought otherwise. Why would god send some people the messages that the earth was round and others the message it was flat?

Supposedly the prophecies came from god through man. Well the assertion that the bible is true because the scrolls said the world was round is ridiculous. How about a real prophecy from god? If the prophecy predicted the exact population of the world on a certain year, or something extraordinary like that, I would believe. Common sense does not equal prophecy.

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

Yes, I agree, and besides that, the Bible speaks of the 'corners of the earth'; the Bible writer clearly had no idea that the earth turns on an axis:1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.” and lets not forget, in describing the temptation of Jesus by Satan, Matthew 4:8 says, “Once again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world [cosmos] in their glory.” Obviously, this would be possible only if the earth were flat.

We should not forget that for years Christians were saying that the days of creation were literal...until science proved them wrong.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

okay, since it's mostly evil skeptics replying to this thread, i thought i would join the party now.

when i used to believe the bible, i did so for the following reasons, in order of importance:

1. i was told as a child that the bible was the true inspired word of god.
    2. i thought god existed.
    3. i belonged to a fundamentalist xian organization called the Jehovah's Witnesses who said they were right.
    4. i believed that we, and all nature, was designed by god.
    5. i believed that archaeology backed up what the bible said was true.

now, all of them, without exception, have been proven false and erroneous. therefore "trust" in the bible is now a moot point.

TS

• Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ

Because dad and I wrote it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit