Why do YOU trust the bible?

by gringojj 16 Replies latest jw friends

• gringojj
    gringojj

For anyone here who still believes the bible is gods inspired word, why? What research have you personally done to verify that all of the contents are true? Do you know who ultimately assembled the different books to make the bible? Do you put all your faith into a book just because everyone else does it?

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I don't trust it since it was clearly written by men.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I don't. Why should I trust something that is obviously written by a bunch of tribal men who claim God spoke to them. Where is there any proof today of anything recorded that can be proved to be from a real God? The faithful and discrete class has demonstrated how much inspired the bible is. I will never trust the bible again.

Ken P.

• Terry
    Terry

My favorit analogy came to me one day when standing in line at the Pharmacy as I was looking down at the perscription in my hand. I couldn't read it!

I had to put my faith completely into the hands of a stranger (pharmacist) to be able to interpret what the doctor had written. If the pharmacist got it wrong it could possibly poison me or, fail to medicate the illness I was suffering.

Then, it came to me!

We are told from birth that we are suffering a terrible illness from which we must be cured or we will suffer eternally: BEING HUMAN!

We have to believe that this is a sickness, first of all.

Secondly, we never get to see the Doctor, we merely have to ASSUME he has written a perscription that will treat our illness and possibly cure it.

Thirdly, we have to select from a bewildering array of pharmacists who are eager to interpret the prescription ALTHOUGH EACH LOUDLY PROCLAIMS THE OTHERS ARE DEAD WRONG!

Finally, we never in our entire lifetime actually see anybody getting cured by any medicine dispensed by any pharmacist--yet, we are constantly reassured the cure will come.................AFTER WE DIE!

If this isn't a sick and silly list of nonsensical things to believe and do in order to remedy a fantasy illness, then, I don't know what is.

The bible is madness.

Terry

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Very good analogy Terry, Trust the Bible? I no longer do, I can't, I wasn't there when God supposedly spoke to anyone that claimed this, and if God so wants anyone to believe it's his word, let him appear to everyone and say so, until then, it's bullshit, to me.

IC

• Periodic Bedlam
    Periodic Bedlam

I don't.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I DON'T!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    For anyone here who still believes the bible is gods inspired word, why?

I believe there are 'treasures' that God meant for us to find in the Bible. I believe the Bible to be inspired, not every word, for there are a lot of man-made things to be found, but none-the-less, it's a collection of writings that can be a benefit to humanity when used for the intended purpose.

What research have you personally done to verify that all of the contents are true?

I've done a lot of research (and I've never been a dub - imagine that) and have found that ALL of the contents are not true. Still, as the saying goes, why throw out the baby with the bath water?

Do you know who ultimately assembled the different books to make the bible

Well yes and no. I've read the opinions of the major biblical scholars... does anyone really know for sure?

Do you put all your faith into a book just because everyone else does it?

No way.... I need proof... either the words ring true or not. I've never let other people do my thinking for me. What I find curious is that many "Christians" have an attitude of 'believe it ALL or Nothing".... why? I believe God gave us a brain and a heart to figure things out.

• Terry
    Terry
    What I find curious is that many "Christians" have an attitude of 'believe it ALL or Nothing".... why? I believe God gave us a brain and a heart to figure things out.

Life begins and ends. What we do with it in between is what matters. So many generations of brains all figuring and figuring and figuring have produced library shelves filled with speculations for miles and miles with no provable conjecture in the lot of them!

The Bible, in order to be factual or useful, cannot be one thing to one group and a contradictory thing (equally correct) to another group. Consequently, there is no information inside this compilation of writings by prescientific minds drunk with superstitions. There is ONLY opinion and opinion about opinion in infinite regress like a mirror inside a mirror.

All or nothing? How about something/anything? That would be the vain hope of persons addicted to belief and eager to filter all of life's experience through it.

I see absolutely no evidence in the lives of any believing and practicing religious person that would lead me to believe their life isn't wasted on this ritual nonsense.

Thinking for yourself and creating your own life is sanity. Swallowing an ancient myth and claiming it is practicable and factual merely smacks of self-delusion and wishful thinking.

Let's face it, many people are simply more comfortable being told what to do and why. Their ability to think is atrophied by their "servitude" to the mystic's claim of absolute certainty.

T.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I would highly recommend Eric Fromm's "Escape from Freedom" or Freuds "Totem and Taboo" as the ultimate arguments against the absurdity of believing in ancient, dead, tribal gods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit