Are ALL scriptures inspired by GOD?

by plmkrzy 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

1 Cor 7:25, Paul writes "Now concerning virgins I have no command from the Lord, but I give MY OPINION as one who had mercy whown him by the Lord to be faithful." (Emphasis added) Here Paul admits that he is not writing under inspiration, but just writing what HE thinks. So, if ALL scripture is inspired, why was this included?

• defd
    defd

gaiagirl

Verse 25 Pauls does say it is NOT a command. Just because paul gave an opinion doesnt mean the writing of that book was not INSPIRED by God.

If you read the verses AFTER that one, as a matter of fact the last verse of that chapter, verse 40 reads, "But she is happier if she remains as she is, according to my opinion. I certainly think I also have God's spirit."

There are even things recorded in the bible that are out right lies told by individuals. Some writers even recorded the bad ans serious MISTAKES they made. The bible is Candid.

If you get a LEGAL document from your Lawyer concerning a divorce and within it he/she gives some personal advise, that wouldnt change the fact that it is a LEGAL document would it?

D.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Gumby:

You trying to be nice or sumfingk?

• undercover
    undercover

How would one prove that any scripture, let alone all of them, is inspired by God?

What evidence is there to prove it? Where is God so he can stand up and say, "yup, I inspired those guys to write it".

If God would just show himself and clarify the issues, like which religoin is right, what is name really is, which country he backs during war, which football team he pulls for in the Super Bowl and should we wear beards or not, we could end all this squabbling because then we'd have definitive answers and proof.

God could then expect exclusive devotion and exact vengeance to any who didn't accept it then. It's kinda hard to expect people to obey you and worship you if you don't have the common decency to even let them know your around.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Which ones dont make sense?

D,

Jealousy is a sin for man but god is a jealous god but we are created in his image but….but….

That one is a bit insignificant but my point is there are way too many instances pertaining to what god is all about that are inconsistent with others. Even if we looked at some as symbolic rather then literal. How’ bout the time when he slaughtered 40 children because they were name-calling?

I mentioned this to my mom one day and her explanation was the word “children” was not meant literally. Ok, so slaughtering 40 grownups that should have known better then to name call was acceptable. what no more room for turning the other cheek?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

buddies? yurbad.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I am currently reading a book called "Ceasar's Messiah, The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus", it's quite an eye opener, Defd I think you should read this, it might shed some light on the NT. Once you see all the parallels between Josephs' "War of the Jews" and the NT it's very hard to dismiss, the possibility that Christianity as we know it, was an ingenious invention of the Romans to take power away from the Jews. In this way it became possible to subdue a group of people who were uprising against the Romans, get them to be like sheep, obeying the authorities, pay their taxes, this seems amazing, but youv'e got to read the book, to see all the evidence.

IC

• defd
    defd

I dont know about that one. It may be amazing but that is something that does not interest me.

• Bryan
    Bryan
    "I certainly think I also have God's spirit."

Isn't that what David Koresh said?

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

defd --- I certainly understand, the reason why I decided to read it is because Josephus is the only historian who wrote anything about the existance of Jesus, the Church and all Christians hang on his words, if he was somehow involved in anything shady I wanted to know about it. Some scholars say that what Josephus wrote about Jesus was later tampered with by the church here's what he said:

About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who performed surprising deeds and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. And when, upon the accusation of the principal men among us, Pilate had condemned him to a cross, those who had first come to love him did not cease. He appeared to them spending a third day restored to life, for the prophets of God had foretold these things and a thousand other marvels about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.

- Jewish Antiquities, 18.3.3 §63
    (Based on the translation of Louis H. Feldman, The Loeb Classical Library.)

Yet this account has been embroiled in controversy since the 17th century. It could not have been written by a Jewish man, say the critics, because it sounds too Christian: it even claims that Jesus was the Messiah (ho christos, the Christ)!

The critics say: this paragraph is not authentic. It was inserted into Josephus' book by a later Christian copyist, probably in the Third or Fourth Century.

The opinion was controversial. A vast literature was produced over the centuries debating the authenticity of the "Testimonium Flavianum", the Testimony of Flavius Josephus.

A view that has been prominent among American scholars was summarized in John Meier's 1991 book, A Marginal Jew.

This opinion held that the paragraph was formed by a mixture of writers. It parsed the text into two categories: nything that seemed too Christian was added by a later Christian writer, while anything else was originally written by Josephus.

By this view, the paragraph was taken as essentially authentic, and so supported the objective historicity of Jesus.

Unfortunately, the evidence for this was meager and self-contradictory. But it was an attractive hypothesis.

IC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit