JWs and Red Cross

by twinflame 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• twinflame
    twinflame

Sorry to pose this question if it is here on the board somewhere. I have been sifting for hours and even though I've found lots of great information, I can't find what I am looking for.

Motivated by the hurricane tragedies, I decided to become a Red Cross volunteer on a local level. I had my first training on Saturday and came away feeling very good about my decision. In later discussion with my JW husband, I told him I was very excited about the opportunity to do something useful but commented it was too bad we couldn't do something like that together. He seemed confused and asked why I thought that. It was my understanding that the JWs frowned on involvement with this type or organization since their's is the only one that offers a 'real' solution to mankind's problems through God's Kingdom. He seemed to think I was crazy for coming up with this assumption. Did I miss something in my 20+ years of indoctrination or is he just trying to sugar-coat things to make me think less of the borg?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

hmm.......thats always been my understanding too. but who knows? it may be different from one congregation to another.

• twinflame
    twinflame

Wow, did I mess that statement up:

Did I miss something in my 20+ years of indoctrination or is he just trying to sugar-coat things to make me think less of the borg?

How could I possibly think any LESS of it than I do now? Maybe that should have been to make me think less badly of the borg...

• JH
    JH

A few years ago I was watching a program talking about JW's in France, and the mayor of Louviers France, said that the JW's make financial donations to the Red Cross in Louviers in order to be better accepted in that town... The JW's had many installations there in Louviers.

• twinflame
    twinflame

One point I didn't mention. He is starting an insurance business and he was advised by the company to become community oriented. His reasoning for being able to be involved as a JW was because of business reasons. If it were for other reasons, it might be questionable; i.e. my reason for wanting to help others. He then asked me if I found his reason for condoning it offensive. It was a true WTF moment....

• blondie
    blondie

In a recent Question From Readers, 11-1-05, page 31, the WTS says "However, certain forms of employment are in clear violation of Bible principles and should be avoided. These include employment connected with gambling, the misuse of blood, and the promoting of tobacco products. (Isaiah 65:11, Acts 15:29; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Colossians 3:5)

Since the Red Cross deals with the collection and distribution of blood for the purposes of transfusion, I would think that the WTS views it as an organization neither to work for or volunteer for or donate to.

Of course, the WTS speaks out of both sides of its mouth all the time.

Blondie

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

There is also that many JW's erroneously believe that the Red Cross is a Faith based charity since they use the cross as their symbol. (FWIW Henry Dunant the founder of the Red Cross movement was Swiss. He simply used the Swiss flag inversed as the symbol for this new humanitarian org.)
    Their close association with Blood collection has also made them an Org to be avoided. Tho (somewhat hypocritally) the Canadian Bethel used to use Red Cross materials for their First Aid training sessions while still condemning that organization for its 'godless' activities.
    So Twin, you do remember correctly the unspoken angst against the Red Cross but as the WTBS strives to become more mainstream certain (less spiritually strong) individuals can be seem compromising theocratic standards (brrrr amazing how easy it is to slip back into Watchtower-speak)
    The JW's still discourage volunteer activities as a waste of time and energy (money) taken away from their more important life saving work .. going door-to-door and talking to no-one.
    Uzzah - Who is now staff for the Red Cross, managing Disaster Services and may I say well done on your choice to actually help others in a meaningful way!

• twinflame
    twinflame

Thank you for your comments. I think Blondie hit the nail on the head with:

In a recent Question From Readers, 11-1-05, page 31, the WTS says "However, certain forms of employment are in clear violation of Bible principles and should be avoided. These include employment connected with gambling, the misuse of blood, and the promoting of tobacco products.

If employment is in violation, it only stands to reason that volunteering would be along the same lines. Maybe even more appropriate was the comment concerning the WTS speaking out of both sides of their mouth....don't we know that!

Thanks for the encouraging words, Uzzah. I look forward to getting more involved with the Red Cross.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I used to do alot of work with the Red Cross diaster team. Was there for the OK City bombing, and alot of other natural diasters. I still help with blood drives.

shelley

• golden age
    golden age

Could anyone post a scan of that questions for readers mentioned?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit