Boing Boing: Awesomely weird Jehovah's Witness art

by DannyHaszard 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    She somehow convinced herself that God does not have an organization and that Armageddon is only a fantasy. Well, that fantasy is now real and she is reaping what she has sown

A ha ha. I wonder how many bitter, old, disapointed "brothers" and "sisters" take refuge in these dreams of revenge. "Ha ha, you only thought it was a fantasy! So you lived your wonderful life with an education, a career, a loving partner, had birthday parties for your children, celebrated christmas, slept long on Sundays...well look at you now, ha ha, Jehovahs wrath is upon you! Die, die, die, you apostate heathen! "

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Looking at this stuff now makes me sick. You are right. The people who drew this are twisted. The editors who included it in the book are twisted - But I can remember a time when we studied this stuff. We thought it was "Good News" .

Somehow the horror seemed to pass over our heads. As a group study conductor I must have, on countless times done that thing "What does the illustration tell us?" And the group would find things to say and giggle at .

Why did it not strike us? Why does it not strike those dubs still there, tonight right now at their book study? I do not know....

Perhaps it is an insight into the mind of a terrorist, or at least a terrorist sympathiser who can block out the suffering of others so as to "save mankind, and for the good of the almighty cause, thinking that those who die should not be where they are anyway....

All I can say is, thank god I am out of it now..............

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The artwork is sick, no doubt about that (duh), and my point is that when you give them names and backstories you almost have to assume ridiculous JW standards to "justify" the slaughter of billions of ordinary people. And the Society teaches that if a child is unfortunate enough to have been born in a non-JW home, he/she will be judged along with everyone else (with no hope of resurrection). I believe there is some discussion of this in either Penton or the Bottings (it's been a while since I read either book). Remember the original version of this picture which has a little girl with her dollie falling off the precipice?

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Yeah, to think of it as real, at all, make ya sad...I remember being very upset for those who would die. What I was laughing at was the reasons...I do believe in judgement, and I know that God looks on the heart. I know the witnesses thought they were doing everyone a service to try to scare them into a right relationship to God. Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom...fear of breaking the societies rules, and of the elders- just waay out of line.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

*clap clap clap clap clap clap*

Leolaia, well done

Very poignant and hilarious at the same time.

-Doodle-V

• damselfly
    damselfly

I remember why I used to wake up at night clutching my chest and trying to breathe as a child.

Thank you Leolaia for your post, it put that horrible picture in a different context for me.

Dams ( bad kittie!!!!! )

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

We need to create a new "Best-of" section for Leolaia, priceless stuff! :)

• TopHat
    TopHat

Bad art work like that in the publications had an infulence on my thinking even today. When Katrina hit and the Dam broke in New O'rleans, I saw all those people without food and water in the awful heat...also I am pet owner and couldn't stand to see all the animals suffer to...I felt like it was the great tribulation...My prayer that day was : Please Jehovah I don't want to see people suffer like that. Can you skip the great tribulation and Armeggden and let us all live without the suffering. Just show us the loving God that you are and you will have the worship of so many during the thousand years of the resurection time.

I thought later, Who am I to tell God what to do! Still I can't look at people suffer in the disasters on the news. I took solice in seeing pets and people being rescued.

• forsharry
    forsharry

The explanation of friskie did it for me. This "new light" will help explain why cats will be destroyed at armageddon along with all the worldy people.

http://dbhome.dk/carlo/cat.htm

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

I struggled with this a child. Why would God kill all those people. You're right, who are we to question God? But I take solace now in the scriptures, that indicate those being destroyed will not be asking God for another chance or forgiveness, they will be angry and cursing him to the end.His mercy is everlasting, I think we can trust him to make the right decisions!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit