How many more years do you think you have left to live?

by JH 54 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus

ebon musings is a little Hollywood for me... but it's as close to the truth as I can get.

45 years ago I'd be dead already from heart valve failure. If I was living in 18th century Germany as a skilled laborer I'd be fucked cause my hands don't work and they didn't exactly have public assistance programs. When I get tired I go to sleep. When the time comes for me to die, I will go to sleep. The End.

• juni
    juni

Very interesting thoughts from all of you. That's so true Crissy. I know what you mean. I'm not worrying or thinking about it anymore - I just enjoy each day and simple pleasures. juni

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Both of my parents lived to be 76 yrs.

This was with the medical knowledge of the late 50's and early 60's.

My siblings lived to their mid 80's.

I turn 70 next month and my doctor says I am healthy at my last yearly check.

So far everything still works "wink wink".

So I expect to live to my late 80's. Maybe 90.

This gives me maybe another 20 yrs. to to reveal to those who listen, the "truth" about the wbts.

Outoftheorg

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

30 good years

• chrissy
    chrissy

i give ebon, whoever he may be, a lot of credit. he is one humble dude.

"Compared to the great vastness of the cosmos…my individual existence is a blip…an arrangement that…thinks, laughs, appreciates beauty, dreams, and loves - but a mere arrangement nonetheless, a transient state, an ephemeral gathering.
    But the molecules that once were me will still exist… they will rejoin the rest of the planet, taking new shapes, finding new arrangements, becoming part of other life. I will become merged with everything."

...and that is all really beautiful. imagining my molecules transforming down into a little starfish in some tide pool. it makes me feel warm and fuzzy on some level. but only for a brief moment. then i start to feel all selfish and i want them back. i guess i lack the humility of ebon as laid out in his "musings" because i don't want to part with my life giving molecules. i want them all for myself.

this is just the sort of thing that keeps me feeling safe as an agnostic vs. a full fledged atheist. i feel this innate desire within me to WANT to live and continue to think, laugh, appreciate beauty, dream, love, etc. and it keeps me open to the possibility that these are, gulp, instilled qualities of a higher power.

but by and large, to me human history rules out most possibilities of this because i do not see the bible as enough of a reliable source (ok, it's shit) to counter findings, in any way, that lead to our former lives as fishes, apes, whatever.

are there such things as atheists that go around sort of wishing there were a god to save them from death? or is that just pathetic?
    like wishing in the tooth fairy as one might say.

whatever. death still sucks. ;o(.......

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I am thinking that I might make it into my sixties...but hope to die before I have to have my knee replacements replaced. Boy oh boy Mr. Rat...you're getting pretty morose here aren't you????

Big hug to my favorite rat...mumsy

• Es
    Es

Had my palm read 2 years ago and he said i would die at 65 ish bit scary really thats only 40 so years to go

es

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Hard to say. I could get hit by a truck tomorrow.

On one hand, there's one grandmother who died in the 1920s from tuberculosis. On the other hand is my other grandmother who lived to 96. Mom just turned 80 & is still going strong. Both grandfathers lived to 80, and Dad made it into his 70s. I figure that at 40, I should have at least another 40 years left.

My plan is to follow the George Burns life model ... drinking & smoking cigars & chasing women until I'm 100. That gives me another 60 years.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I'm not sure if I like this thread. It made me think about how old I am and what I have to go on from my family history. My father died when he was 38 in a car crash , his mother died at 61 from lung cancer and my grandfather died when he was 72. My great grandmother on my mothers side lived to be 99 but the rest around 80. I was thinking after reading this thread and it kind of shocked me for a second that in 20 years I will be social security age and will be digging my hole about then too, maybe anyways. But if I knew how long I was going to live or any of us as far as that goes, would we not all make the changes in order to grow older ? Like diet and not smoking etc.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit