After 9 days of rain, it finally stopped! Anyone had flooding problems?

by hubert 23 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert

We are not used to this, here in the Northeast. Friday evening, I checked out the cellar for any water coming in, and it was dry, so I went back on the computer. About midnight, I decided to hit the sack, so I shut off the computer, turned around, and stepped into water !! While I was on the computer, the water was creeping up all around me, and I hadn't noticed.

I checked the sump pump, and found the float was stuck !!!! The water in the pail was level with the floor, and rising !! I freed up the float ball, and the wife and I went to work with the wet/dry vac, and pails, bringing the pails across the room, and dumping them into the sump pump bucket.

After 2 hours of this, we got most of the water out of the cellar, but could barely keep up with incoming water that was coming in from behind the paneling, the sump pump was running almost continually, starting up every three seconds after it shut off. so I got the idea that seeing the water was coming in from across the room from the sump pump area, I decided to try to punch a hole through the cement over the "french drain" area, if there was a french drain there, and let the water just drain into the rocks in the drain , and let it follow the french drain to the sump pump. Well, I got lucky. I hit the french drain, and it worked. I had punched the hole in the low area of the floor, and so the water would find it as it came into the cellar, and would just go into the hole, with very little effect on the rest of the cellar floor. That pretty well solved our problem.

When we went to bed around 2:30 a.m., we heard thunder. I told the wife, if we lose power, we'll have had it, and the water will rise to the first floor level. Fortunately, we didn't lose power. The next day, we took the vac and pails, and helped out our relatives remove the water in their basements. I also noticed today, that one of my neighbors has a carpet cut up in front of their house, so they must have had water problems, too. The sun is finally shinning today.

Anyone else on the East coast have any flooding problem stories to tell?

Hubert

• luna2
    luna2

No flooding problems at my place, hubert. I'm on a hill and have no basement, and all the rain drained away to lower lying areas. The garage is half underground and always slighty damp, but I haven't had any flooding in there.

When I lived in IL I well remember basement sump pumps and big storms where we lost power and I had to stand outside with a primitive gas-powered pump and drain the sump pit every hour or so...yuck. Glad your electric didn't go out. Sounds like an exhausting evening.

The sun is definitly good to see. Yesterday we had a little late in the day coming through breaks in the clouds, but today we even have blue sky!

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I am sooooo happy to see the sun! After my morning coffee, I'm spending the day outside!!!!!!

Basement is dry... we are very lucky. Yesterday, though, my 83 year old aunt drove to the next town over, and got stuck in flooded roadway. The water poured into her car... up to seat level...she and her 15 year old grand daughter were soaked....and scared. Car had to be towed... it's still at the shop. My aunt is a trooper though.. by the way, she drives a little red sports car, and still works every day.

Coffee

• TopHat
    TopHat

We use to have water come in to the garage when it rained for more than 3 days straight. But just two weeks ago we had a new driveway paved and we told the paver the problem. Somehow he did something to fix the drainage near the garage door and we are so pleased not a drop of water came in this time.

• blondie
    blondie

Sorry to hear about the floods. None here but we do get them from time to time. Mostly by the rivers and the lakes. When it rains hard I'm always checking the sump pump, the float sticks too.

Crazy weather.

Blondie

• hubert
    hubert

My friend called today, and said his son had 17 inches of water in his cellar.

The wife and I are both sore all over, today. We are glad it's over.

Hubert

• JH
    JH

We had ALOT of rain yesterday, rained all day, but nothing like you guys had, and today its still raining but not much. Tomorrow also has rain in the forecast.

• hubert
    hubert
    My aunt is a trooper though.. by the way, she drives a little red sports car, and still works every day. ;

Coffee, she sounds like a tough old bird.

I'm surprised the car didn't float away. Good thing it didn't.

Hubert

• JH
    JH

I remember back in April, May, and June, we had about 40 days of rain. I was pissed.

I almost sued the weather forecast company

• fairchild
    fairchild

Yes. I am in the notheast as well (Adirondack mountains). What do you mean "it stopped raining"???? This is day number 14 here and still counting. It is very depressing. I took a year off from work, starting almost two weeks ago, and I have not seen a single day without rain. I've been in the house most of the time, and I'm almost thinking about going back to work. This rain is pathetic. One of the factors which played a role in my decision to move to this area was that several people had told me that it almost never rains more than 4 days in a row up here. However, they failed to tell me about the two seasons this area has, July and wintertime. I am sick, sick, sick, sick of this rain, I really am. I check the weather on line like 6 times a day to see if they have changed their mind, but they are still showing rain until at least Tuesday, then 2 days with "chance of rain" and then rain again as far as they can tell. GGGGGRRRRRRR, one can only clean so much in the house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit