ABSOLUTELY HEINOUS!!!

by SWALKER 11 Replies latest social current

• SWALKER
  • Simon
    Simon

So, you find the cartoon disturbing?

What about the reality that it is highlighting?!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Wow, thats amazing. We're all spoonfed the images of the war propaganda here, what a difference to have the reality highlighted. You know the children in these countries (not just Iraq) are having their idealism killed, what do they replace it with? Usually hatred which leads to terrorism. Very sobering.

Sherry

• searcher
    searcher

QuoteThe Belgian office of the U.N. children's fund said it has decided to use the creations of late Belgian artist Peyo to shock a complacent public into backing its fundraising efforts for ex-child soldiers in Africa.Quote

QuoteThe appeal is meant to raise money for UNICEF projects in Burundi, Congo and Sudan, Henon said.Quote

So who actually bombed these 'Smurf city's' in Burundi, Congo and Sudan?

And how were the child soldiers involved?

Did they fly the bombers?

Did they become child soldiers after the city's were bombed?

Where they child soldiers IN the bombed city's?

Very confusing.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

It will definitely be worth following to see what reaction this gets from people. I do question using Smurfs to represent the horror of war. How can that possibly get people's attention more than the real thing? Are they going to destroy Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Road Runner next? For me personally, it demeans the children...but to others it may help them grasp the situation better. I'm just trying to get these two ideas to reconcile.

Swalker

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

"War is harmful to children and other living things."

• Simon
    Simon
    So who actually bombed these 'Smurf city's' in Burundi, Congo and Sudan?

And how were the child soldiers involved?

Did they fly the bombers?

Did they become child soldiers after the city's were bombed?

Where they child soldiers IN the bombed city's?

Erm ... you don't need to drop a bomb out of a plane to bomb a city. Witness London, Madrid, most of Iraq etc ...

Has the issue of child soldiers really not been in the news in the US? There have been several media reports over here highlighting the problem. Many are severely brutalised and have been forced to murder their own parents etc...

• bem
    bem

Using cartoon characters to get peoples attention of this kind is bizarre. The acts they are representing are disturbing, there is no doubt about that. I think of cartoons as an escape from what we are bombarded with every time we turn on the news or pick-up a paper. There are satire cartoons for the use of making political statements. <Most of those are geared to adults anyway. Leave the 'toons for the enjoyment of young ones to maintain what little bit of innocence they can.

• searcher
    searcher
    Erm ... you don't need to drop a bomb out of a plane to bomb a city. Witness London, Madrid, most of Iraq etc ...

Very true, my point however, is that the smurf cartoon clearly shows bombs dropping from the sky, while the stated aim is to raise funds for ex-child soldiers.

A little further research ( Source BBC News| World| Middle East |Country profiles) shows that the troubles in the three countries mentioned has been ethnic, tribal wars, internal coups, etc.

I think it is rather dishonest to infer that the countries were bombed (implying developed nation involvement) when actually the problem was inter tribal conflict for the most part.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Has the issue of child soldiers really not been in the news in the US? There have been several media reports over here highlighting the problem. Many are severely brutalised and have been forced to murder their own parents etc...

We have had numerous programs on child soldiers here in the U.S. Dateline ran several as well as 60 Minutes if I remember correctly. I understand that it is one of the most horrific crimes against children and seems to have affected most parts of Africa. How these children will grow up and be able to live among society in general is anyone's guess. My heart goes out to them. It seems that of late, children around the world are being exploited at epidemic proportions.

Oprah had a show last week on child sex offenders and stated that the citizens of the U.S. were going to HAVE to step up to the plate and demand governmental reforms. I hope she takes the lead in going before Congress and demanding tougher laws for sex offenders.

It's my belief that there has to be a large outcry from the general population in any country to get reforms and leaders are needed to get the ball rolling!!! Exploitation of children in any country for any reason is disgusting and needs to be stopped!

Are the Smurf's deaths the answer? Will a cartoon have the impact that is needed in this situation?

Swalker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit