What is the latest date now in the WT for Armegeddon?

by Sheepish 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    "in our day".

I interpret the use of the above phrase the same way I would interpret it if they had said "in this generation", which post-1995 means "maybe in the very near future, maybe a few more decades, we're just not sure". And the contents of the preceeding article I interpret as a not-so-subtle 'consider the possibility of Noah's 120 years of preaching having a direct parallel to our day, starting from 1914 - we'll let you do the math because we know better than to mention a specific year.'

Like I said, it's not a set-in-stone new Armageddon date. But compare the following quotes from the links I posted above:

So six thousand years of man's existence on earth will soon be up, yes, within this generation. Jehovah God is timeless(...)So in not many years within our own generation we are reaching what Jehovah God could view as the seventh day of man's existence.

In Noah's day, Jehovah declared: "My spirit shall not act toward man indefinitely in that he is also flesh. Accordingly his days shall amount to a hundred and twenty years." (Genesis 6:3) The issuance of this divine decree in 2490 B.C.E. marked the beginning of the end for that ungodly world. Just think what that meant for those then living! Only 120 years more and Jehovah would bring "the deluge of waters upon the earth to bring to ruin all flesh in which the force of life is active from under the heavens."—Genesis 6:17.

7 Noah received the warning of the upcoming catastrophe decades in advance, and he wisely used the time to prepare for survival. "After being given divine warning of things not yet beheld," says the apostle Paul, "[Noah] showed godly fear and constructed an ark for the saving of his household." (Hebrews 11:7) What about us? Some 90 years have passed since the last days of this system of things began in 1914. We are certainly in "the time of the end."

Therefore, God's seventh day and the time man has been on earth apparently run parallel.

5 It is reasonable to assume that Jehovah feels about the present world as he felt about the pre-Flood world. Since he brought an end to the ungodly world of Noah's day, he will certainly destroy the wicked world of today. Having a clear understanding of the parallel between that time and our day should fortify our conviction that the end of the present world is near.5 It is reasonable to assume that Jehovah feels about the present world as he felt about the pre-Flood world. Since he brought an end to the ungodly world of Noah's day, he will certainly destroy the wicked world of today. Having a clear understanding of the parallel between that time and our day should fortify our conviction that the end of the present world is near.
  • minimus
    minimus

2034 was NEVER a new date from JWs----only exes. Believe me, no JW thinks 2034 is the "new date". Some are simply reading into things.

• JH
    JH

I think that the Watchtower learned from their errors of the past, and won't advance a new date anymore, although it is more productive for them to do so....

Scaring people always makes their hours go up a little...

• carla
    carla

This may sound like a stupid question but, - doesn't Jesus say He will come when least expected? and if so, if everybody keeps expecting it 'any day now', wouldn't it make sense to just get on with your life and live it rather than living only to wait for the end? does that make sense? why would He come if everyone is expecting it any day when he said it would be an unexpected thing?

• TopHat
    TopHat

Well, let's see JH, I have a theroy.

China is the next "King of the North"

Babylon the Great includes the WTS

Peace and Security? Does that mean we have P&S just before Armegedden or people will be yelling out for it?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

These days the Watchtower is more interested in FORGETTING dates than SETTING them. Any date in the 1800's, for instance. Any non-1914 date prior to 1935. 1975 would be wonderful if forgotten.

• luna2
    luna2

I think the WTS will hint and tease the R & F into speculating about certain possible dates for the Big A to arrive, but they'll stop short of what was done prior to 1975. They know that date bait gets the kiddies all excited...even while everybody qualifies any speculations by repeating "nobody knows the day or hour" so that they can always righteously say later that they never really put faith in a particular time frame.

People do like dates and when the belief is that you are a super duper special person, one of the relatively small number of humans on the earth who are members of Jehobah's very own organization, surely He might give his real, true followers a little, itty bitty hint as to approximately when he might kill off all the bad folks. I mean, wouldn't it be cool if when Armeggedon came all those non-JW fambly members, kids at school, and guys at work would remember what YOU told them and realize in those moments before death, with wailing and gnashing of teeth, that they should have listened to your words of wisdom instead of ridiculing and making faces behind your back. Hahahahah! So there!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Carla, there is/was something as to "it" "coming as a thief in the night". And another scorupture "no one knows the day nor the hour".

I've found older "elders" and other older sheep who knew about 1975 are loath to admit their own excitement over it. Let alone that the prophesy prediction existed.

2034? Why not. It's as arbitrarily "out there" as the new millenia was for us who grew up in the 60's and earlier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit