Tonsil Cancer?

by Golden Girl 19 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Well I thought I knew a lot but my x son in law has just been diagnosed with cancer of the tonsils!

They are telling him it is caused by smoking(no surprise here) AND drinking!

He does smoke but has quit for years at a time and then gone back.

He is a heavy weekend drinker but you wouldn't know it during the week.

Anyway..he is having them out today and then he will go into chemo and radiation.

He is only in his 40's so this is a surprise to me.

I never heard of drinking causing cancer of the throat (tonsils)in any way.

And from what my daughter read it only has a 50 percent rate of survival?

No one believes me but many years ago I remember reading in a Awake that tomatos can cause cancer.(Watching the world) I would love to find that article.

They also blamed aluminum for alzheimers...

Snoozy

• under74
    under74

WHA???? I've never heard of cancer of the tonsils before.... caused by drinking and smoking???? CRAP.

I'm sorry for what you and your family are going through right now. I really hope everything turns out

• under74
    under74

I'm thinking genetics????

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

You may be right..she just told me his Dad had it several years ago but is in remission.(He is a minister)lol

We were never close they were only married for 5 years but he did give me a beautiful grandson!

He lives in Florida (with his new wife)and I am in Missouri so I never see him. He does pay his child support regular though. And is a very good father.

He sees his son several times a year and bought a computer for his son so they could see each other when they talk.

Snoozy..

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've never heard of tonsil cancer before, so I looked it up and found this.

W

• under74
    under74

Crap! again...but thanks for posting that FF.

GG- sounds like the guy's trying to be a good dad. I hope all goes well for him and he beats it.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Under74, what is crap? Are you saying cancer of the tonsils caused by drinking and smoking is crap? Why?

I'm not sure about alcohol causing cancer of the tonsils, but I'm no doctor so take their word for it. Smoking, well, that wouldn't surprise me.

I guess just about any part of the body can become cancerous. One in three people get cancer and it has been said this is likely to become one in two. That's a frightening scenario.

Ian

• willowmoon
    willowmoon
    They are telling him it is caused by smoking(no surprise here) AND drinking!

Try not to pay attention to that. So many factors can be the cause of cancer, they're not qualified to make definitive statements about causes to patients. A doc once told me that my ovarian cancer was God's punishment because I chose not to have children. It's the kind of stuff that accomplishes nothing except making those docs feel important, and it gets in the way of the healing.

The cause doesn't matter at this point, the important thing is that he does everything possible to beat it. Determination and a positive attitude, free from guilt about the cause, is vital to healing. Learn everything you can about the treatments and support him in every way possible. I wish him good health!

They also blamed anti-perspirants for breast cancer . . . . . .

• under74
    under74
    Under74, what is crap? Are you saying cancer of the tonsils caused by drinking and smoking is crap? Why?

It's a hypochondiac sort of thing. I know some of my habits are wrong already but when I see it may increase the chances of getting ill....I say CRAP! The scenerio you stated makes me say crap.

• under74
    under74

UMMM... I can see cigarettes as being a factor in causing cancer...AND I smoke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit