KNOW ANY GOOD THOUGHT-PROVOKING MOVIES?

by stillAwitness 21 Replies latest jw friends

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I'll take that as a yes.

• proplog2
    proplog2

The Crucible based on a play by Arthur Miller about the Salem Witch Trials.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

The Village

Farenheit 451

The Truman Show

• Jourles
    Jourles

The Devil's Playground. Not really a movie, a documentary. It follows several Amish youth during their Rumspringa period. Similar in some ways to JW kids. Except the JW kids have to hide the bad things they do. The Amish kids are allowed to try out the world, so to speak, and then have the decision to leave or stay with their faith. If they leave, they are essentially df'd as JW's are - cut off from friends and family.

I liked it from the point of view in seeing how the Amish really try to live their lives strictly by what the bible says....unlike the JW's. If we were all put on this earth to live by strict biblical standards, I feel the Amish/Mennonites lead in this category. JW's would be lumped in with the rest of the polluting, godless world.

I think each of us would agree that the Amish should be the standard of how we all should be living our lives, minus the religious aspect. The physical world in which we live would be so much better off.

• upside/down
    upside/down

The Truman Show

The Village

Butterfly Effect

Magnolia

Vanilla Sky

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Madagascar

Debbie Does Dallas...

u/d

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Zardoz

Regards,

Jim TX

• d
    d

Fight Club with Brad Pitt and Eward Norton.A goof thought provoking movie, which is about these two guys trying to fight against American Corprate culture,and it's evil consumerism.I could relate alot to the movie

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Soylent Green......(The only alternative they see for the future )

Snoozy

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I think each of us would agree that the Amish should be the standard of how we all should be living our lives, minus the religious aspect. The physical world in which we live would be so much better off.

Here's one who doesn't. Give up my hedonistic, materialistic lifestyle? Pfffft. Not a chance. Besides, the Amish don't watch movies.

The best analogy of real life groupthink and thought control I've seen in awhile is the depiction of life in rural China presented in Mao's Last Dancer. Ballet is not my schtick, but this is a great movie for helping shift paradigms. Another is the film Marjoe, which won the 1972 Academy Award for Best Documentary. It is a devastating exposé of the American Evangelical movement which, unfortunately, had absolutely no effect.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it. For grinding terror behind a veneer of civility, the Stepford Wives. I haven't seen the original, but the 2004 remake was terrifying enough. How about V for Vendetta?

Pleasantville is a great analogy. I just saw "Eternal Sunshine..." what a great movie on the many ways we deceive ourselves...and fool ourselves in to believing in the easy fix.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit