How Do JWs Misapply The Scriptures???

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you know that all these hurricanes and tsunamis are a "sign" that we're in "the time of the end"? Almost anything that happens is "proof" that we're "living in the last days". When George Bush Sr. talked about a "new world order", in the 80's, that too was a "sign". Witnesses will say anything is a fulfillment of Bible prophecy.

• JH
    JH

Wolf !!!!

• blondie
    blondie

The one that I find JWs misapply the most in a way the WTS never does in print is Matthew 24:12.

and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off.

The rank and file will apply it to the WT organization when there is a drop in numbers combining it with Isaiah 60:22 for proof that increases mean they have God's blessing.

I have never found the WTS applying this scripture to themselves in any of the WT publications.

Blondie

• JH
    JH

But honestly, I was glad to hear things like that(hurricanes and tsunamies) when I was an active JW. I was anxious for the end. I wanted the new system to come fast, and bad news had to come first.

• hideme
    hideme

Re-read the Harp of God:

Typing machines, automobiles, newspapers, telephones...they were all sign of the very last days! Really!

Well if that's the truth, the invention of internet must be a sign of the LAST LAST days...at least for the WT society

• JH
    JH
    Isaiah 60:22 for proof that increases mean they have God's blessing.

Yeah, they would probably say that they HAD the increase that God promissed, and now the decrease is another sign that only the TRUE Christians are remaining active. (can't find the verse)

• hideme
    hideme

Wow...but how about other religions that increased MORE in the last 100 years? The are MORE blessed by God??

• hideme
    hideme

Another one that is misapplied alot:

Matt.24:14

They say it says WE HAVE TO preach all over the world and then the end will come. (So if we quit preaching, the end will never come? If we preach faster, more, the end will come sooner??)

That's NOT true.

Matt.24:14 says ; 14 And this Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations, and then shall the end come.

There's nowhere a word WE HAVE TO DO THAT. Not in Matthew 24. Maybe the angels will? When you read Revelations it tells clearly about an angel bringing the good news.

Of course in MAtt.28:20 Jesus gave us an assignment to preach to other people. But that's all. He didn't force us to preach to EVERY MAN on earth, I think.

• minimus
    minimus

Hideme---That's so true! All modern gizmos prove we're in the time of the end!

• JH
    JH
    Of course in MAtt.28:20 Jesus gave us an assignment to preach to other people. But that's all. He didn't force us to preach to EVERY MAN on earth, I think.

Oh but the Witnesses will say:

16 If, now, I am declaring the good news, it is no reason for me to boast, for necessity is laid upon me. Really, woe is me if I did not declare the good news!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit