Is being a Witness really so bad? Is religion bad in general?

by jwfacts 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have no intention of ever being a Witness again, but when i look at my family i wonder if they are better living in the ignorance they call spiritual paradise.

Many people seem to have a need for religion. Is it better if they remain as they are? I can't recommend any other religion to my family so is it better that they continue believing in a Witness paradise than leaving and having no crutch to support them? I really feel some of my family would be worse off without religion.

• Ellie
    Ellie

Yes I think that some people need the religion for comfort and a social life

• Legolas
    Legolas

If it was a religion that didn't go out and hunt people down and ruin their lives...I would say just leave them, but it ain't...they go door to door looking for lives to destroy weather they know it or not!

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

some seem to have become better persons because they got some invisible threat behind them. don't know though if this is really being a better person then.

there worse religions than JW, there are plenty of similar religions and there are a lot of "better" religions, there is no really good religion though.

due to the fact that it seems impossible to get some people out, it's better to live with it, i think. it's like trying to stop a drug addict from taking drugs. i won't try all too hard convincing someone who's on weed or tobacco he'd better stop, although it's not good for him. but i'd maybe try a bit harder with a crack or heroin addict. would give up after a while though, if i see there's no effect. after all it's their life.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

My father keeps saying how the JWs made him a better man, and that he could have gotten worst if he would have stayed "in the world". And it might be true. I truly don't give a damn if he chose to stay a JW, what I don't like is his trying to scare and guilt my little brother into it. Very "lovingly" of course, but I still call it guilt-tripping when it's to that point. It also makes me worried that if ever one of my brothers should need blood, he would pick up a fight so they don't have it.

Some religions can be inoffensive and constructive and a brotherly-buddy community to some people like my dad, but that's when nothing bad happens, all hells can break loose at one point or another.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Some people need to be connected. If they are invesred in ignorance, in some cases it's best to live and let live.

• Purza
    Purza
    Is it better if they remain as they are?

For some individuals, I think it is better to remain as they are. Take my father for an example. If he didn't have the positions of elder and pioneer I truly think the man would die. Both of my parents need the structure of organized religion. It really doesn't matter what religion -- but just something to add purpose to their life. They have been JWs for so long, they wouldn't know what to do with themselves without it.

Purza

• daystar
    daystar

Religion is bad in that it often holds the threat of discipline from above for behavior on earth. This is like a child having as their only reason for being "good" the threat of discipline.

Real adults should not need this threat.

• trevor
    trevor

Illusion is comforting, which is why people resort to drink, drugs and religion. In the long term an addiction to any form of escape from reality causes harm.

Still there are some happy drunks and some happy Jehovah’s Witnesses. I should know I have been both!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think it might be a cruelty to force seniors to confront their illusions. You are asking them to face the mockery of their life choices. Better for them to remain, I think. Even so, JWD does manage to collect a select sample of seniors who bravely chose to walk away from the society.

I don't think all religions are damaging, only the high control groups. Other high control groups, non-religious, can be as damaging (such as Amway). During my browse for "High Control Groups" I read an interesting comment that some high control groups can be good, if they are public about the practice (such as boot camps or the Marines). People are under no illusion when they join such a group.

Here's a list of eight characteristics of a high-control group:

http://www.meadowhaven.org/the_problem.htm

I think any JW who walks away from the society is very, very brave. I salute you all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit