C.S.Lewis makes a "comeback"...

by Tallyman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Tally,

Thanks a million. I'm going to book mark it right now. Will let you know.

I think her situation will be a lot like mine, i.e., she will be less interested in the contradictory teachings and tacking than the result the WBTS has on families.

She is very depressed, as she is having a hard time with her restaurant right now and could really use the emotional support of my parents.

Un fortunately, they are in the middle of their summertime spiritual paradise (co stayed with them for two weeks and their distric convention starts tomorrow.) Therefore, they are treating her as if she were literally dead.

Thanks again, am sending warm thoughts your way and hoping you are doing well.
    Lisa

• ladonna
    ladonna

Pleaase Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the movie "Shadowlands" the true story of "Lewis"?

If so............see it.......a bit of a weepy though.

Ana

• Simon
    Simon

Oh yes, I forgot about Out of the Silent Planet. I read the next one (Perelandra?) but it was a bit scary at the time...

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I too am a big CS Lewis fan! It is really cool to see others have found him on the way out of JW-dom! I have come to love many of his books.

terraly said:
    "This is fine for most of it, but it makes the crucial first part annoying- because Lewis' proof for God is made rather informally, and fails to address what I see as several critical points."

terraly, have you read "The Problem of Pain"? Lewis makes more of a case for the exisitance of God, and a good God, in this book. This book really made me think, and it addressed alot of the points that were in my mind about God (how could He let people suffer if he loved them..etc). It didn't totally win me over, but it was the first book I read that actually addressed some of my questions. It makes some good points.

Oh, and the movie "Shadowlands" is the story of part of C.S. Lewis's life. A few little things are changed, like Joy had more than one son, but the basic story is true. I loved that movie. It should have gotten Best Actor and Best Actress or something! (warning: Chick Flick!)

-LisaBobeesa

• Quester
    Quester

I am relatively new to the writings of C.S. Lewis.
    He has some very good information on the
    Bible as myth and what that means.

Here's a really good website with tons of info on his writings.
    Quester

========================
    Into The Wardrobe
    A website devoted to C. S. Lewis

* http://cslewis.drzeus.net/

• Tina
    Tina

((((((((((((tallyho!!))))))))))))
    OFF TOPIC
    What size sweatshirt do you wear? I want to start creating a tie-dye for you ......thanks hun,Luv ya! Tina

• Tallyman
    Tallyman
    things he said suddenly started clicking: it was about what's inside us, not the ghost in the machine.
    Lewis was liberating. Thanks for bringing him up on this sometimes parched board.
    Edit PS: That led me to Madeleine L'Engle .....

Max,
    couldn't a said it better meself.
    Lewis was liberating for me. Just sprung from the Kult and badly burned by the spiritual Kounterfeit it is, and then discovered Lewis.
    He was liberating at a time liberty was (and still is) very important to me.

Some may have a big problem with Lewis's concept of the Dissolution of Self as being liberating (and I'm not sure that was what you were referring to...), and as being what it truly takes to be an individual creation of God... and Individualism is something I have always prized.
    I think Lewis's take on that is beautiful.

A musician friend a while back recommended Madeleine L'Engle, and having a background in graphic art, I purchased her "Walking On Water - Reflections on Faith and Art" and several chapters in, find her observations fantastic. This woman is a sage. She's what - in her 80s? Is she still living?

"Mere Christianity" is another of C.S. Lewis works which really builds up faith in God and it's reasoning is stunning.
    And all this nourishment outside of the only organisation providing "spiritual food" !

Pubsinger,

You know, I'd almost recommend the "Screwtape Letters to an exiting Dub, as that one, goes into the trickery and deception of the Con Man (from any realm) being able to snooker the gullible.

And come to think of it, I don't remember the WTS ever quoting C.S.Lewis like they did certain other Christian writers. Maybe the KultLeaders did not approve of Lewis's tobacco habit. (He smoked like a train!)

It's still an good book,[Mere Christianity] and one I couldn't put down- at times in frustration, at times in great interest.

terraly,

Yep.
    Lewis can be a hard read. Challenging. But well worth the effort, methinks.
    Like Maximus, I've read some of his works twice, and the second time
    around, derive something that blows me away - that I completely missed
    the first time.

Recently, I re-read "The Problem of Pain
    (because I've been in a lot of pain lately) and caught something
    which escaped me the first time reading it.

I identify with it so much, and I trace back this "something"
    Lewis alludes to, to my earliest childhood memories...

I'll call it "The Signature of the Soul"
    Here, I made a webpage for the excerpt:

* http://intrex.net/tallyman/soulsign.html

Thanks for bringing up a positive, encouraging thread, Tallyman.

Rational,

You're Velcome and We Konkur!
    BTW, since you used Lewis's work when you were Dubbing,
    did you ever recall seeing the WTS use a quote from Lewis in their lit?

Guess I'm alone in hating the Narnia books. I thought they were sexist, smug, suffocatingly preachy.

MumsyD,

The Narnia books are (about) the (only) ones by Lewis I haven't explored
    in any depth... since I'm not a Kid, only a big Kidder!
    So, I can't say what they'd appear like through the eyes of a child.
    (especially a 21st Century child)
    But, "sexist"?
    That seems so out of character with the rest of what I've read by Lewis.
    And the movie "Shadowlands", which several in this thread have mentioned
    with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger, as C.S.Lewis and Joy Gresham
    (Joy, a radical divorcee from NYCity, Jewish born but a Christian convert)
    did not have a trace of sexism displayed by Lewis's character.
    In the Movie, Hopkins absolutely delights when Joy comes to visit him
    in England and cuts down his sexist friends from the "Brit Boy Club"
    with her very unique, razor-sharp sarcasm.
    In the end of the movie, Lewis says to her on her deathbed:
    "You are the truest person I have ever known"...
    and you can tell he means it, and you get the impression that he is
    more referring to her outspokenness, than anything else.

And Lewis "smug"? This is TOTALLY out of character with all else I've read.
    I love the guy so much because he is exactly the opposite of smug.
    He puts in more "disclaimers" in his writings that any other I've ever read.
    The link I post above to terraly has this in the excerpt:

"What I am now going to say is merely an opinion of my own without
    the slightest authority, which I submit to the judgement of better
    Christians and better scholars than myself.

His stuff is chockful of that kind of self-effacing comment.

She is very depressed, as she is having a hard time with her restaurant right now and could really use the emotional support of my parents.

Un fortunately, they are in the middle of their summertime spiritual paradise (co stayed with them for two weeks and their distric convention starts tomorrow.) Therefore, they are treating her as if she were literally dead.

Thanks again, am sending warm thoughts your way and hoping you are doing well.

Lisa,
    Thanks for the well-wishes. I can use them.
    Hope your sis pulls out of the tailspin she's in.
    What kind of restaurant does she have?
    Did the Circuit Overseer eat there?
    Did she spit in his food?
    (I might have been tempted... )

They ought to rename them "Gastric Conventions"
    sure seems like they generate a lot of heartburn...

"Shadowlands" ... the true story of "Lewis"?

If so............see it.......a bit of a weepy though.

Ana,

Yer right. That scene in the end with Lewis and his stepson,
    both losing their Wife and Mom... and gots no one but each other,
    well, that's a tearjerker alritey.

Oh yes, I forgot about Out of the Silent Planet. I read the next one (Perelandra?) but it was a bit scary at the time...

Simon,
    yeah, but I thought the third, "That Hideous Strength" was even spookier,
    especially, when Merlin stepped out from behind "The Veil" back into
    this world and spoke some heavy stuff.
    (Hey, anyone who liked the recent TV Miniseries "Mists of Avalon"
    would relate to Lewis last book in his sci-fi trilogy, as there is
    a generous dose of the mixture of the Old with the New (Celtic Christianity))

I too am a big CS Lewis fan! It is really cool to see others have found him on the way out of JW-dom! I have come to love many of his books.

lisaBObeesa,

Yep.
    I'm glad I found Lewis when I found the Way Out of the WT.
    I've considered my 20 years of "lost time" in Kulthoodish Servitude
    as not unlike that of the wanderings of the prodigal son.

With the help of Lewis and others, I've found my way home.

I am relatively new to the writings of C.S. Lewis.
    He has some very good information on the
    Bible as myth and what that means.

Quester,

I have to agree with Lewis that mythology, legend and lore
    is often rooted in something factual, and should not be summarily dismissed
    as of no value as "history".

What size sweatshirt do you wear? I want to start creating a tie-dye for you ......thanks hun,Luv ya!

Tina,

wOw! Tanks!
    I wear between a Large and Xtra Large.
    What I usually do with Tshirts, is buy a 100% cotton Xtra Large,
    and then wash and dry it, and it shrinks down to the right size...
    I don't know how that translates to sweatshirts

TT

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

Tallyman,

A check of the Society's 1999 CD-ROM turns up only two (2!) references to C. S. Lewis since 1950. They are:

*** w59 12/15 763 Atheism and Human Thought ***
    Atheism and Human Thought
    “There are all sorts of different reasons for believing in God,” writes C. S. Lewis in The Case for Christianity, “and here I’ll mention only one. It is this. Supposing there were no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen for physical or chemical reasons to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It’s like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way the splash arranges itself will give you a map of London. But if I can’t trust the arguments leading to atheism, [I] have no reason to be an atheist. . . . Unless I believe in God, I can’t believe in thought; so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God

*** g88 2/8 28 From Our Readers ***
    Speaking in Tongues
    I have received copies of your article where I was grossly misquoted. (April 8, 1987, “Speaking in Tongues—Is It From God?”) You misconstrued my words to make it appear that I am embarrassed by speaking in tongues, when that is definitely not the case. In truth I was quoting C. S. Lewis, who said that tongues were an embarrassment. Then I proceeded to tell the mighty importance of tongues in church history, i.e. why it should not be an embarrassment to the church. . . . This misquotation actually makes it seem that I oppose tongues, which I certainly do not.
    Vinson Synan, United States

We regret that we inadvertently attributed the statement of C. S. Lewis, “Speaking in tongues is an embarrassment to us,” to Vinson Synan. However, we correctly quoted Dr. Synan’s statement appearing in the publication “One in Christ”: “Embarrassing as it may be, glossolalia is the gift that God has chosen at strategic points in history to expand and renew the Church.” We did not quote Dr. Synan to indicate that he was opposed to speaking in tongues but to show that he acknowledged that the matter of speaking in tongues could be a dilemma for some sincere worshipers today. In that article Dr. Synan indicated a possible dilemma for some: “I agree with Larry Christenson who stated . . . ‘God has sovereignly chosen to use the gift of tongues as a catalyst for renewal . . . it may not make sense to our own reason . . . but he comes knocking where he chooses . . . ’” We hope that this clarifies Dr. Synan’s position with regard to speaking in tongues, which differs from ours.—ED.

Cheers,
    Rational

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit