C.S.Lewis makes a "comeback"...

by Tallyman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Tallyman
    Tallyman

For those who Chowed Down for years on the Watchtower's "spiritual food" (who was that talking about Schit on a Schingle in an earlier post?) and thought you were getting Christianity, and have now left the Table of jehovah-Of-The-Watchtower...
    and purged what you consumed...
    and still haven't given up on Christianity - (hey, Jesus did warn of Counterfeits)
    and maybe would like to approach it afresh, why not check out the writings of C.S.Lewis?
    He's one of my favorites.
    And as this recent article from The Boston Globe informed, Lewis's body of work is making a "comeback"... even though it never went away.

(what appears below, only more legible, here: * http://www.intrex.net/tallyman/cslewis.html)

-----------------------------------------------------

By MICHAEL PAULSON
    THE BOSTON GLOBE

The stories of C.S. Lewis are familiar to millions of children:
    a fantastical, hidden world ruled by an evil witch, loved by a great lion.
    Less familiar to the 65 million purchasers of Lewis's "Chronicles of Narnia" is the fact that the stories are Christian allegories, penned by the Oxford don after J.R.R. Tolkien helped convert him to Christianity. [Lewis once subscribed to atheism]

To many, Lewis (1898-1963), was one of the great Christian apologists of the 20th century. Now the publishing industry is betting a larger audience is waiting to discover his works.
    After a multimillion-dollar deal between HarperCollins Publishers and the Lewis estate, the publishing house is re-issuing all of Lewis' major works ...

The texts had hardly vanished. "The Screwtape Letters," a 1942 work of satire in which a devil instructs an apprentice, already sells 150,000 copies a year, while "Mere Christianity," which was developed as a series of radio talks on faith, sells 230,000 copies annually. And Lewis's marriage to his wife, Joy, was chronicled in the 1993 movie "Shadowlands," starring Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger.

"Few resources are more often used than the writings of C.S. Lewis,"
    said the [chaplain of Harvard College] who recommends the works to students ...
    "If they come from some sort of church background but are wrestling with their own Christianity, then I point them to "Mere Christianity". If the questions point more in the direction of a moment of self-doubt or low self-esteem, I suggest "Til We Have Faces".
    If they've sustained the loss of a parent or close friend, I suggest "A Grief Observed".

But HarperCo, to create a broader audience for an author dead for 40 years, is also trying to create buzz by reintroducing Lewis to authors and academics. "After the last 10 years, religion publishing has grown by leaps and bounds, and C.S. Lewis's books have sold several hundred thousand copies a year before we took over," said Mary Ellen Curley, marketing director for HarperCollins.
    "We're looking to broaden him to anyone who is interested not only in Christianity, but in a broader sense of spirituality - the seekers out there."

Recently at Harvard, a poet a psychiatrist, and a philosopher took turns praising Lewis' work, comparing him to everyone from St. Augustine to Sigmund Freud.
    Poet Kathleen Norris, author of "The Cloister Walk" said she was particularly struck by Lewis's language, his choice of words that reach out to readers as ff they were listeners.
    "He is valuable to show the strength of the imagination," she said.
    "He writes very personally, but there is not a trace of narcissism, and that is incredibly valuable."
    The psychiatrist Armand Nicholi, and the philosopher, Boston College professor Peter Kreeft, both said that they rejected Lewis at first because they thought his work too simple, but later came to rely on him for the logical clarity of his faith.
    "Lewis's appeal today continues ... [because] he has real insight into human nature and the human condition," Nicholi said. He added that Lewis had a profound understanding
    of human experiences, such as grief. Lewis' wife was diagnosed with cancer the year the pair got married and died four years later.

And Kreeft argued that Lewis "is enormously relevant to young people today, because he doesn't strive to be relevant today. He isn't interested in fashions."

July 2001

* http://www.cslewis.org/

• Simon
    Simon

I loved the Narnia books and re-read them many times. I still have the complete set somewhere - some of the later ones are especially good (if a little strange).

Definitely recommended. S'funny but at the time I never twigged that it was actually the bible story re-written...

• LDH
    LDH

Tally, do you have a website? I don't know if you caught my post earlier this morning, ("A quick update") but I was telling my sister about your great sense of humor. Substituting K for C and all that.

And now it appears you have a new love, ha ha, 'Sch' for 'Sh' which I am looking forward to seeing more of.

I just wondered if you had a website that I could direct her to. If you read the above post you'd understand more.

Lisa

• Tallyman
    Tallyman
    Tally, do you have a website?

Lisa,
    I have some quick Patches of Schtuff I Schtitched together:
    * http://www.intrex.net/tallyman/Schtuff.html
    Does your sister have a copy of 'Crisis of Conscience' to read?
    Ray has a calming effect on those just making their exit...

I see you caught a Case of the Egyptian Flu, too.

Kongrats!

TT

• Tallyman
    Tallyman
    I loved the Narnia books and re-read them many times.

Simon,
    when I wigged out of the WT, I initially discovered Lewis through the first of his science fiction trilogy - Out of the Silent Planet
    and that one will always be special to me.

S'funny but at the time I never twigged that it was actually the bible story re-written...

Clever how Lewis snuck that in, eh?

TT

• Maximus
    Maximus

Just want to take the opportunity to say a warm hello, Tallyman.

In deep depression I forced myself to read "Mere Christianity" on the recommendation of others. I had an awful time slogging through it. Had to put it aside. Later I coincidentally met Mary Ellen Curley and another Harper marketing type, who once again suggested Lewis, this time just looking for spirituality. They weren't just hyping the book. Jack Spong's autobio was still in MS form, BTW.

Maybe it was just the timing, but many things he said suddenly started clicking: it was about what's inside us, not the ghost in the machine.

Lewis was liberating. Thanks for bringing him up on this sometimes parched board.

Max
    Edit PS: That led me to Madeleine L'Engle .....

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Hi

I'm a big fan too. I didn't see the Christian allegory either until I left and started fellowshipping with other Christians.

I totally agree with the spiritual food line mentioned here. "Screwtape" is utterly brilliant, showing a magnificent understanding of exactly how the devil targets Christians and loads of practical ways to combat him. As a literary work it is far superior to anything the society ever produced. Humorous, thought provoking and very clever. Rush out and by it folks!

"Mere Christianity" is another of C.S. Lewis works which really builds up faith in God and it's reasoning is stunning. If ever you wondered if belief in God was reasonable and rational, this is a must.

And all this nourishment outside of the only organisation providing "spiritual food" !

• terraly
    terraly

I loved Narnia as a kid. Raised a Christian I didn't mind the religious parallels too much, and in fact agreed with several of the points Lewis makes about Christianity in an indirect way.

I recently read Mere Christianity, and was not greatly impressed. Partly it's because the book is based on a radio series and is therefore rather informal. This is fine for most of it, but it makes the crucial first part annoying- because Lewis' proof for God is made rather informally, and fails to address what I see as several critical points. A cynic might say that this is because a case for God can only be made if one is willing to argue rather sloppily and ignore some of the finer logical problems.

It's still an good book, and one I couldn't put down- at times in frustration, at times in great interest.

Anyone else read his "Out of a silent planet" or whatever his sci-fi trilogy was called? Been a long time, and they weren't very good so I don't remember them hardly at all.

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

Tallyman,

C. S. Lewis was an Oxford Don and an atheist prior to his conversion to Christianity (with the help of his good friend J. R. R. Tolkien!). His sharp wit, masterful facility of the English language, and creative genius can at times overshadow the deeply spiritual message he is conveying ... so you can read his books several times and each time come away with valuable and refreshing new insights about yourself, Christianity, and the world in general.

More than any other single book (not counting the Bible), Lewis's Mere Christianity helped free me from the JW mindset. I kept it by my bedside for years while still an active JW, reading and rereading it. (Used it in many talks, too, including assembly and convention parts.) It convinced me, more than anything I had read up to that time, that Christianity was a rational and intellectually satisfying way of life. The book contains the arguments Lewis himself had as an atheist, and the results of his honestly and intelligently examining them. Other worthwhile books by him include:

The Great Divorce is Lewis's answer to Dante's Divine Comedy. It's a fantasy in which the author dreams he is aboard a bus on a roundtrip excursion from Hell to Heaven. On the trip he encounters various stereotypes and witnesses their personal development as they are given the opportunity to exit the bus and visit (and if they choose to do so, to remain in) Heaven. Lewis graphically portrays the vanities and self-deceptions that engage us all, and suggests that we not overlook their inevitable consequences: "There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'"

The Screwtape Letters, wherein we read a series of letters received by an 'entry-level' demon (Wormwood) from his bureaucratically highly placed Uncle (Screwtape). The letters are a kind of reverse theology--think of "reverse psychology"--and provide an entertaining look at ourselves, the temptations we face, and the easy danger of becoming prey to those who have a hunger to consume or dominate us for their own self-gratification. In the end, Lewis suggests, we can be consumed by 'demons' or we can be wooed to God's side and liberated to be truly our own selves.

Thanks for bringing up a positive, encouraging thread, Tallyman.

Cheers,
    Rational

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Guess I'm alone in hating the Narnia books. I thought they were sexist, smug, suffocatingly preachy. I never could figure out what all the fuss was about; they struck me as inferior children's books in the Victorian moralistic style. They bored the sox off my kids too. I tried reading one of the science fiction (Perelandra was it?) and it was just boring as hell.

My kids tried watching the PBS version of 'Lion WItch Wardrobe' and it totally failed to hold their attention any more than the book did. They seemed to want to like it but it just couldn't hold their interest.

I would much rather see my little one read Ursula LeGuin's 'Earthsea' trilogy; those are ripping yarns with complex characters, moral choices with realistic consequences, and written with genuine style and without any hint of Christian preachment. Much saner and more satisfying than recycled hohum Jayzez myths.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit