Very good apologetics for honest seekers

by Shining One 122 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Hi, Shining One,

I do have some honest questions about one of the articles (it is proof of Gods existence). I would accept God if you can prove it of cause. However I find many things and arguments in this article not valid, or I do not understand....

Ignoring Atheists' Questions If you were standing on a railroad track and a train was heading your way, closing your eyes and ignoring the locomotive will not make it go away. ; If an atheist asks a question and you ignore it repeatedly, it would be fair for him to conclude you were incapable of answering the objection.

Shining one, as I quoted from your links also, you should answer these questions. Here is teh article with my remarks in bold....

Entropy and Causality used as
    a proof for God's existence

Definition: The second law of thermodynamics states that the amount of energy in a system that is available to do work is decreasing. Entropy increases as available energy decreases. In other words, the purely natural tendency of things is to move toward chaos, not order, and available energy necessary for work is lost in this process. Eventually, the universe will run down and all life and motion will cease. This is the natural tendency of all things. Batteries run down, machines break, buildings crumble, roads decay, living things die, etc. Left to the natural state, all things would eventually cease to function.

It is a bit more complicated then this. it is only valid for a closed system, and then there is also the law of conservation of energie, which means that energie can not be lost. For the sake of the following argument, it is dealing with an expanding universe, I will not continue on this.
    (Note: this argument can not be used against evolution, because that is not a closed system)

1. The universe is not infinitely old because it has not "run down."
      1. If the universe were infinitely old, it would have reached a state where all usable energy is gone.
      2. But, we are not in this state; therefore, the universe is not infinitely old and must have had a beginning.

There are valid ways around this. There could be somethings as continious creation for instance. This argument is not full prove. However most scientists indeed believe that the universe had a beginning around 14 biljion years ago.

Because the universe has had a beginning it is not infinite in size.

1. It would require an infinite amount of time to become infinite in size. Since the universe had a beginning, it has not had an infinite amount of time to expand, therefore it is finite in size.

You assume here that the universe is expanding. Most scientist do indeed think it is. (not all though)
        Also this argument is not full prove. Can an infinite universe not expand? But I can agree. Sciensists believe that the universe has no borders but is limited in size.

1. All events have causes.
          1. There cannot be an infinite regress of events because that would mean the universe were infinitely old.
            1. If it were infinitely old, the universe would be in a state unusable energy, which it is not.
            2. If it were infinitely old, the universe would be infinitely large, which it is not.

Why do all events need to have a cause? Scientists have found a lot of evidence that this is not the case.
            A lot of things happen, that have no cause.
            This argument is not valid, it is not true!

The next point also, why can't there be an infinite regess of events?
            Imagine for example an universe collapsing, which gives cause to a new universe with a big bang. This can be an infinite regress of events.....

Since the universe is finite and had a beginning and there cannot be an infinite number of regressions of causes to bring it into existence, there must be a single uncaused cause of the universe.

1. A single uncaused cause of the universe must be greater in size and duration than the universe it has brought into existence.
                1. Otherwise, we have the uncaused cause bringing into existence something greater than or equal to itself.
              2. Any cause that is natural to the universe is part of the universe.
                1. An event that is part of the universe cannot cause itself to exit.
                2. Therefore, there must be an uncaused cause outside the universe.
                3. An uncaused cause cannot be a natural part of the universe which is finite.
                  1. An uncaused cause would be infinite in both space and time since it is greater than which it has caused to exist.
                  2. I do not understand why an uncause cause must be greater then what it causes. Why? I do not understand.
                    This does not apply for caused causes. A very small thing, can casue a big thing.

The point by c). I think it would be better to say: Would not have any time or space, since time and space are properties of the universe that it caused to exist.

1. This uncaused cause is supernatural.
                      1. By supernatural I mean it is completely 'other' than the universe is not natural to it.
                        1. This would make the uncaused cause supernatural.
                        2. This uncaused cause is God.

If you devine the uncaused cause to be God, and only so, I could maybe agree with this reasoning. But with God people have much more thoughts.
                        Every cause would satisfy here, because everycause is outside the universe, it is supernatural in definition, it is not part of space-time. So if every cause would satisfy here, why jump to God?

At this point I admit to making a leap of logic and assert that the supernatural, uncaused cause is the God of the Bible.

1. The Bible teaches that God infinite in time and scope and is wholly other than the universe of which He created.
                        2. God is defined as being infinite in size, duration, and power.
                        3. Therefore, the God of the Bible is the uncaused cause of the universe .

Hmm, indeed a far jump champion. With this logic you can just as easily conclude that it is the God of the Qu'oran. Or Zeus, or any other God.
                        There is totally no logic in this last statements. it is something like, proving that the alphabeth exists, and then concluding that the exact contence of the works of Shakespear follow from this conclusion.

Can you tell me where I am wrong, what better arguments are?

Danny

2. trevor
                      trevor

Shining One

You are not alone. Rev Frank has been posting some mighty powerful admonition which has left me shaking uncontrollably.

You two could join forces and put together some truly unbelievable threads.

May The Force be with you.

3. kid-A
                      kid-A

oh great and righteous shining one, blow it out thine holy sphincter....

god is dead....deal with it.

4. Shining One
                      Shining One

For Danny (part one),
                      I do have some honest questions about one of the articles (it is proof of Gods existence). I would accept God if you can prove it of cause. However I find many things and arguments in this article not valid, or I do not understand....
                      Ignoring Atheists' Questions

Shining one, as I quoted from your links also, you should answer these questions. Here is teh article with my remarks in bold....

Entropy and Causality used as

a proof for God's existence

Definition: The second law of thermodynamics states that the amount of energy in a system that is available to do work is decreasing. Entropy increases as available energy decreases. In other words, the purely natural tendency of things is to move toward chaos, not order, and available energy necessary for work is lost in this process. Eventually, the universe will run down and all life and motion will cease. This is the natural tendency of all things. Batteries run down, machines break, buildings crumble, roads decay, living things die, etc. Left to the natural state, all things would eventually cease to function.

))))))Enthropic principal and it is in agreement with Genesis.

It is a bit more complicated then this. it is only valid for a closed system, and then there is also the law of conservation of energie, which means that energie can not be lost. For the sake of the following argument, it is dealing with an expanding universe, I will not continue on this.

(Note: this argument can not be used against evolution, because that is not a closed system)

1. The universe is not infinitely old because it has not "run down."
                      2. If the universe were infinitely old, it would have reached a state where all usable energy is gone.
                      3. But, we are not in this state; therefore, the universe is not infinitely old and must have had a beginning.
                      There are valid ways around this. There could be somethings as continious creation for instance. This argument is not full prove. However most scientists indeed believe that the universe had a beginning around 14 biljion years ago.

>Because the universe has had a beginning it is not infinite in size.

)))))From the research of others, I absolutely agree.

>2. It would require an infinite amount of time to become infinite in size. Since the universe had a beginning, it has not had an infinite amount of time to expand, therefore it is finite in size. You assume here that the universe is expanding. Most scientist do indeed think it is. (not all though)

)))))I would side with the majority.

>Also this argument is not full prove. Can an infinite universe not expand? But I can agree. Sciensists believe that the universe has no borders but is limited in size.
                      1. All events have causes.
                      2. There cannot be an infinite regress of events because that would mean the universe were infinitely old.
                      3. If it were infinitely old, the universe would be in a state unusable energy, which it is not.
                      4. If it were infinitely old, the universe would be infinitely large, which it is not.

))))))Agreed.

>Why do all events need to have a cause? Scientists have found a lot of evidence that this is not the case. A lot of things happen, that have no cause. This argument is not valid, it is not true!

))))))With the exception of 'First Cause', according to the measurements taken by observation in astronomy and physics.

Rex

5. Shining One
                      Shining One

For Danny (part two),
                      Here is a brief cut and paste from a link I am providing:
                      "Burbidge does say something that is true, however. He favors the steady-state hypothesis and claims his view supports Hinduism and not Christianity. That is correct, because a steady-state theory of the universe, were it to be true, would provide some support for the endless cycles taught by Hinduism. The big bang theory is significant evidence against Hinduism."
                      Hugh Ross, an astrophysicist, has written very persuasively on this topic. He again brings us into the philosophical implications. Ross says that, by definition,

"Time is that dimension in which cause and effect phenomena take place. . . . If time's beginning is concurrent with the beginning of the universe, as the space-time theorem says, then the cause of the universe must be some entity operating in a time dimension completely independent of and pre-existent to the time dimension of the cosmos. This conclusion is powerfully important to our understanding of who God is and who or what God isn't. It tells us that the creator is transcendent, operating beyond the dimensional limits of the universe. It tells us that God is not the universe itself, nor is God contained within the universe."

"These are two very popular views, which brings us to something very significant metaphysically or philosophically. If the big bang theory is true, then we can conclude God is not the same as the universe (a popular view) and God is not con-tained within the universe (another popular view).
                      Stephen Hawking has said, in his writings, "the actual point of creation lies outside the scope of presently known laws of physics," and a less well-known but very distinguished cosmologist, Professor Alan Guth from MIT, says the "instant of creation remains unexplained."

http://www.leaderu.com/real/ri9404/bigbang.html

and some more...
                      "The 1965 observation of the microwave background radiation by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson from the Bell Telephone laboratories convinced most scientists of the validity of the big bang theory. Further observations reported in 1992 have moved the big bang theory from a consensus view to the nearly unanimous view among cosmologists: there was an origin to the universe approximately 15 billion years ago."

Please continue the investigation with Hawking's work, "A Brief History of Time" and the other works recommended by the article's author. I pray that the realization that Deism is valid will lead to the further realization that Christianity is the sole faith that is built upon solid evidence! Also, feel free to e-mail me at any time.
                      Rex

6. Shining One
                      Shining One

>Why didn't Paul not ever quote any of Jesus illustrations, parables, miracles...sermon on the mount content...Lords Prayer etc...in any of his letters to the early church?
                      ISP

I don't agree with your assumption. Jesus quoted scripture and so did Paul, Paul's expansion of the life of Christ agrees completely with the Lord's teaching.
                      Rex

7. Shining One
                      Shining One

Cog,
                      Please do excuse my typo as I also excuse your lightly veiled insult. OHHHH, did I spell every word correctly? If not, please forgive me.
                      Rex

8. Pole
                      Pole

Very good apologetics for honest seekers

Where did I hear that before?

9. Shining One
                      Shining One

Hi Carmel,

>The miricles of Zarathurata and of Mithra are as believable as those claimed in the NT about Jesus.

I don't know if that is true or not especially when the evidence is examined. I also do not dismiss their miracles 'out of hand'. The foundation of the gospel is hinged on the resurrection of Jesus (1 Cor.15).
                      Rex

10. AlmostAtheist
                      AlmostAtheist
                      A single uncaused cause of the universe must be greater in size and duration than the universe it has brought into existence.

The crux of this line of reasoning is that the universe requires a "maker" of sorts. Something had to light the Big Bang, or create all the stuff that Bang'ed, or something on that order. It is a point of logic, 'everything that happens requires a cause'. But if that logic is true, then the cause is itself an effect of something else, which also requires a cause. What caused God?

The answer is of course "Nothing, He has always been." So the logical argument only holds until we reach the point where the one wielding it wants to go, then it is abandoned. You can't play logic that way, or it isn't logic.

If a = b and b = c, then logically a = c (except for certain values of a)

Dave

11. Share this

Google+
                      Pinterest
                      Reddit