Job Interview-Help with specific question

by Purza 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Purza
    Purza

So, I have a job interview on Monday for a city government job. I have worked for a city before and I would really like to work for one again in order to complete my retirement requirement for benefits. AND I really want this job.

I have info about the job and I am studying specific information; however I don't interview all that well as I get extremely nervous.

One of the questions I always have a hard time with is:

"How do you deal with a difficult co-worker?" (and I know for certain it will be asked)

This is always their catch-22 question as there is no right answer. I tend to say something like all situations are unique and require different responses. I have dealt with one before and I try to set up boundaries from the beginning so that the individual knows where we stand, etc.

As I type my response it sounds kinda lame to me.

Can anyone help with how you might have handled a question like this? Or what a good response would be?

Thanks so much.

Purza

PS I had a difficult co-worker once and the day I left I had a shouting match with her as I walked out the door. Probably not the best way to handle a situation.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Purza,

In answering questions like this remember that the business comes first. Never take anyting personally. Work around the issue with the business in mind.

steve

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    "How do you deal with a difficult co-worker?"

Answer: I do everything I can to make sure I'm not the reason they are being difficult. I bend when possible realizing anyone can have a bad day. After that I trust that their/our boss will deal with it. It's all an employee can do really, but if your department has suggestions for such issues I would be happy to employ use them.
    Your Follow up question: What is your policy here when you realize an employee is being difficult? How are your managers instructed to handle it? What do you expect from an employee who is having to interact with an employee with a challanging personality?

• hubert
    hubert
    "How do you deal with a difficult co-worker?

I had one that I worked with for 3 years !!!

Ever hear of the phrase..."Give them enough rope and they wil hang themselves"..

Well, I just tried to work around it, did my job, worked with the person only as required, but didn't associate with him other than that, and finally, he caused so much trouble, that he left, with a little help from the owner.

Just do your job as best you can, try to get along with everybody, and let nature take it's course.

Before you explode at work, sit back and think of what the outcome would be, and find a reasonable solution.

As for answering that question? I have no clue how to answer it. I would probably give a very bad answer.

Hubert

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    "How do you deal with a difficult co-worker?"

And i would say - "You mean there are co-workers that aren't difficult?"

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

msn.com had a wonderful article recently about the art of interviewing and how to answer all type of questions.

Look it up!

DY

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

That's cute, Crumpet.

Well, I was asked that question on my interview and I gave the stupidest answer. I was 23 at the time and a total doormat (as I sort of still am) so I said something like, "Well, I usually get along with everyone pretty well, but if there were someone who didn't like me, I guess I would talk to them and try to resolve the problem. "

"And if that didn't work?"

And I say, "Uh, I guess I would smile at them in the hallways and stuff until they came around."

I mean how stupid is that??? I've gotten worse at interviews too, now that I know what the answer they're looking for is, and I just want to be honest. I absolutely hate interviews, so GOOD LUCK to ya on Monday.

• Purza
    Purza

Wow -- thanks everyone for your responses.

Steven -- I will keep the business aspect in mind

Confused -- Loved that response. Thanks for the great follow up questions too!

Hubert -- You must be extremely patient

Crumpet -- Great response -- but don't know if I can say that.

DY -- Will do.

Goodgirl -- LOL I know the feeling.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Purza

• hmike
    hmike

Some employment test/interview questions are designed to weed out the obvious undesirables, like if you said, "I'd bash his head in" or some other violent response. They don't want to hire someone who will obviously be trouble.

This is one of those standard questions, like "what are your stengths and weaknesses." There are good-sense answers you can give to this that will satisfy them, but in the real world, this can be a complicated issue where your actions are determined by all kinds of variables. I always confine my answer to work situations, which is what they are really interested in.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Really, truly, Purza, I suggest you sign up for an "Overcoming Exam/Interview Anxiety" course. Even rehearsing interviews with a friend can help a lot. The interview-er wants you to be comfortable, too. Employers genuinely want to find the best candidate for the job. They can't do that if you are wringing your hands, stumbling over your answers, and sweating bullets.

I do really well on interviews. I take care of the small things beforehand so that they don't distract me. I've read the annual report and done my research on the company. I am dressed well, every hair in place. I arrive twenty minutes too early and spend the first ten in the washroom (before introducing myself to the receptionist) to fix hair, shoes, stow extra bags, etc. etc. Hey, this is the great white north, we are always carrying weather wear. I make sure I have only a small clutch-size carrier with me (less stuff to fuss with). Ten minutes before the interview, I introduce myself to the receptionist (direct eye contact, broad smile, firm handshake), take the seat and anything else offered (you don't have to DRINK the coffee). When I am introduced to the interview panel, I give direct eye contact, warm smile, firm handshake. Hands in lap, don't fiddle, smile. I'm on. At the end, warm handshakes all around, and DON'T FORGET TO THANK THE RECEPTIONIST. Done. Don't worry. If you've flubbed up, it's too late to fix anyways.

I, too, hate those questions designed to get you to talk about your weak spots. With any of these kinds of questions, I give a mild real-life example (let's not freak them out!), identify my weakness (shows that I am aware of my own shortcomings), and ALSO LIST THE STRATEGIES I have used to manage my weakness (I show that I constantly strive to improve).

The best answer I got for "deal with a difficult co-worker" was from a girl who gave a real-life example from someone I know. I agree, dealing with that particular woman requires the patience of a saint. She has managed to frustrate every one of her co-workers with her high-handed or unreasonable requests. The office staff have a rather unflattering nick-name for her. This young girl gave a most insightful answer, "I realize she has no family, no outside interests. Work is her life. I try and understand from her point of view, and accommodate where I can. If her request is unreasonable, I call her on it, and if I need to, I involve her supervisor."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit