How many remember the 15 min break Between the Public Tlk and WT Study?

by Wasanelder Once 52 Replies latest social entertainment

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

This all ended when I was too little to appreciate the 15 min break. Dang. CANDY? We weren't even allowed to doodle on the margin of the stupid WT study w/0 getting a dirty look by some of the old ladies(and a pinch/evil eye from mom)

I grew up in the 'beat your kids if they aren't paying attention' generation. No smoke/candy breaks for us! I'm lucky my mom wasn't inclined to abuse like Bro blankety blank was. His whole family looked whupped.

• suavojr
    suavojr

The article that Blondie posted makes me wonder if they will ever go back to not praying before the public talk.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

As a kid it was so nice to go home after the talk. When my mother was ill i always drew the short straw and had to go to the hall with my father while my older brother stayed home and watched Stingray. He always claimed he had gone last week and i couldn't remember last week. I found the Watchtower so painfully dull i'm surprised i didn't hang myself in the toilet.

• AnneB
    AnneB

I remember the "15 minute break." On Sunday half the Hall left "at the half" and the WT Study was sheer agony because it was 75 minutes long with very few to support the answering. It fell to the older ones who had been around for years and some of their answers could be...literally...five minutes long as they went through entire "scripture chains" to make a point.

There was a 15 minute break between the Ministry School and Service Meeting as well. The literature counter would open, people would line up to buy publications (they cost back then), mothers would stand at the back and talk. When time was called people would argue with the Literature Servant, wanting him to take care of their literature order after the meeting began. There was always talking and clinking money sounds coming from the literature counter during the second half. Magazines were unwrapped, counted, and put into slots marked with publisher's names; apparently this couldn't be done at any other time than during a meeting.

At our Hall the rest rooms were upstairs, as was the Library/Mother's Room. There was a steady stream of young mothers with babies marching up and down those stairs during the meeting. Every time someone opened the door to the Ladies Room the sound of several conversations could be heard. At one point they appointed a bother to clear out all the Sisters who weren't actually there to use the facilities. All that did was move the Sisters to the Library across the hallway!

Meetings were different back then...

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Some posts are painful, and this is one.

At a young married, I moved far away, to an area, I would never have chosen, surrounded by people, who's background was 100 % different than mine. It was not for the better. They were a strange species to me, as I was a curiosity to them.

The only thing we had in common, was religion.

Those 15 minute breaks were, hell. I tried to get to the KHall as the meeting started, and tried to leave as soon as it was over, but you couldn't side step those in between minutes.

Crickets...

LL

• Londo111
    Londo111

I've heard the tales.

These were the days of the 8-day convention that ended at 9PM and had a dinner break.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I remember when the chairman mistakenly announced, " We will now have a 15 minute intercourse, and return

• blondie
    blondie

Actually intercourse has 2 meanings, but only one is well known...there is an "amish" town in PA called Intercourse

in·ter·course ˈintərˌkôrs / noun noun: intercourse

1. communication or dealings between individuals or groups. " everyday social intercourse "
      synonyms: dealings, relations, relationships, association, connections, contact ; More interchange, communication, communion, correspondence ; negotiations, bargaining, transactions ; trade, traffic, commerce ; informal doings, truck " social intercourse "
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes, I know that Blondie, but whenever I discuss this with a female I always get slapped in the face.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I remember that time too, we used to a say a prayer to introduce the W.T study after the break.

When this was discontinued as the break had been dropped, we all sat down straight after the middle song and saw one sister still standing with eyes closed awaiting the prayer, LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit