How many remember the 15 min break Between the Public Tlk and WT Study?

by Wasanelder Once 52 Replies latest social entertainment

• horrible life
    horrible life

I remember the breaks. Also when they stopped them. I thought also that it was a way to stop the mad exits after the talk. Smoke break? OMG! I remember my older brother going outside. I was too young. HL

• Legolas
    Legolas
    I thought also that it was a way to stop the mad exits after the talk.

That's what I was going to say! It was way before my time, they must have stopped it because too many people were leaving!!

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have a very vague memory of those breaks. Too bad they didn't continue them.

• delilah
    delilah

I do remember those days, I was a kid, and there was a store nearby, and everyone would scoot over and buy goodies, munch them down, then fidget through the entire Watchtower study, high on all that sugar!!! We'd all stand around outside the KH and eat our stuff and talk.....that was cool.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Perhaps my memory is blured, but I recall there was a break between the school and service meeting as well, maybe not though. Also remember no prayer or song before or after the Public Talk. Geez that was a long time ago.

• willyloman
    willyloman

When I first studied back in the mid-70's, there was no break between the two Sunday meetings. However, we went to another congo in another city one Sunday and were surprised when they PT ended and they announced that the WT study would begin in 15 minutes.

Later, I asked the bro who was studying with me what that was about. He did not elaborate on why, but said it used to be the standard so that people who brought "newly interested ones" to the "public talk" could introduce them to other dubs, walk them out to their car, etc.

He said the procedure had been changed but that a few scattered congos still scheduled their meetings that way. Made sense to me at the time. However, I neve saw that practice in any other KH. Now, I'm curious as to why they changed it.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Lots of threads for me to catch up.

I remember the smoke-break after the talk. But it didn't add extra time, so it was a welcome break.

Another oddity back then was the WT study - the paragraph was Q and A'd, and after the Q & A's, then the paragraph was read by the reader.

It seemed weird when it was switched to read before the Q & A's.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

time to go out and get some Spangles or Bitter Lemons to suck in the Watchtower study

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

As I recall it was just 10 minutes at our hall.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I remember them - just.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit