What do I tell my mother?

by Confession 31 Replies latest social family

• freedom96
    freedom96

Shades of grey are the first things that come to my mind when confronted with a situation like this. It is so difficult to determine what is right and wrong, as the issues don't fall into a black or white/ right and wrong area very easily.

On one hand, your parents are increasing in age, though in good health, and we have no idea how long they will be around. Tell them, and it may be too much for them to handle, especially after spending so much of their lives involved in the organization. They may feel that they are in no position to even consider the fact that this is not "the truth." But, not telling them could be perceived as deceiving them, which I imagine does not rest well either.

The rest of the extended family might be easier to deal with, as the relationship is not as close as it is with a child and parent.

I am in favor of the slower fade for several reasons. We just don't know what the future holds. Will there be changes within the organization to allow more freedom in relationships with "unbelievers" or perhaps someone on their own will come to the same conclusions as we all have. One of the challenges we faced is the fact that no one is allowed to talk to another about doubts, so no matter how close someone is to us, we may never know their real thoughts. Talk about a frustrating situation.

However, with the slower fade, the WTS will allow them communication with you, so then you will have the opportunity to slowly drop thougts or comments with them, during the times you do see them or talk, which will be fewer and fewer with the distance. I like the aspect of time solves a lot of issues.

At the same time, there is the moral part of it, where we ask ourselves, do we have a moral obligation to let them know what we found out? I have felt that way with my son. He says that he wants to know why we don't go, but I am not convinced that he can handle what he will find out. But perhaps the way to let them know, is by doing the slow fade, as that will allow more opportunities to discuss it at a later time.

If you did talk with the relatives, it seems as though it would need to be done each one by themselves. If everyone finds out at the same time, it is too easy for them all to gang up and not listen to you.

My wife and I are putting together a large binder full of all the ammo we need to defend our beliefs that this is not God's organization. We will have it ready for the time my son comes to visit, and will be quite helpful for any witness who wants to confront me on a ton of issues, friends or not.

I simply cannot recall all information I have found over the years off the top of my head. So to have this binder together, easy to read, logical, with proof from their own books and magazines, should be very powerful.

If you do confront the relatives, make sure you are armed with all the ammo. You already know the bible very well. Take that knowledge along with what you have found out, I have no doubt you would cause some concerns in the minds of the relatives that you talk to. But it will be easier to do when you have simply faded, or become "spiritually weak." I personally have allowed that one to be said about me for years, and it works quite well so far.

I feel your pain and stress over the situation. Regardless of the outcome, I am confindent that you will make the best decision that you can.

Best wishes.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like winning. Winning people over is the toughest thing, since it is their own choice whether to listen or not. I think bursting out with your news might make you feel better, but it may not have the desired effect. That's why I still vote for staying mum until somebody asks. Give out your information gradually, as they are able to absorb.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Confession,

I'm 5 years into a situation nearly identical to yours. I can give you my opinion, for what it's worth. My approach was to initially limit how much information I gave them. I suspected they probably wouldn't share my epiphany about the Society and would not welcome the new information I learned. This, I would later learn, was indeed a correct assessment. When they would ask "How's your new congregation" I would say "great, they are all very nice, etc." I would even engage in conversations related to the Kingdom Hall etc. This kept everyone satisfied and unsuspecting for over a year and probably could have continued indefinitely. Once they came out to visit though the gig was up. The slow downward spiral started and all I could do was limit damage. At this point I was pretty clear on the direction of my life and not interested in placating anyone else. After being dependant on the Witness social structure for approval and direction it felt extremely liberating to come away with a life of my own design. Once their questions, guilt and condemnation started, I was done tip toeing around their backward belief system. Basically I began to realize that the parents I remember from my childhood (pre-JW) didn't exist any longer. They have been taken captive mentally and any relationship is conditional to their belief system. Once the "cat was out of the bag" my approach was to at least show them that a great deal of logic and reflection went into my change of heart. When they initially showed "concern" I told them I was doing allot of research, praying and "waiting on Jehovah" to clarify things. I also tried to present inconsistencies in the least confrontational manner possible and show the obvious implications of them without advocating an opinion. They are trained to automatically assume you have swayed due to (insert one) worldly/fleshly desires, laziness, materialism or *gasp* apostates. I found it amazing how they repeatedly defaulted to one of these in spite of lengthy, intelligent discussions where they conceded to many of my concerns. My "damage control" approach to my fade prolonged the inevitable. I think it preserved 2 good years and another marginal year with my family. Eventually though, they reverted to the mindset Watchtower demands of them. I really have no relationship with them to speak of anymore. I don't think I could have continued the rouse very much longer even if they never suspected my change of heart. I discovered that by coming out of the Witnesses, was no longer a slave to anyone's approval. Essentially the problem is theirs, not yours, yet they will probably never see it that way. In fact they will probably invent reasons for your departure to satisfy their own perplexity over it. As far as informing them, you may as well give it a try. I think the best way is to come across as undecided, yet concerned about particular issues. This at least allows them to consider the problem themselves without feeling threatened by you. However, keep in mind that this had a 0% success rate on all my encounters with folks still in. I hope this helps. Good luck, -FW

• vitty
    vitty

Weve been fading successfully for 18 months, we moved far away which helped but we have a problem when family want to come and stay and want to go to "our new KH" we ve got round it the last few times but I dont know how long we can keep it up !!!!!!!!

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Hi,

If you decide to share a bit of your information with your mother, I would begin with the 607 BCE vs 586/587 BCE date. Ask her why it is that ALL encyclopedias site the 586/587 BCE date, not the 607 BCE date as the WT teaches? Tell her that this has really "stumbled" you. You might even want to ask her to do some research for you using history books from the library.

This is just my 2 cents.

NewLight2

• Confession
    Confession
    I think bursting out with your news might make you feel better, but it may not have the desired effect.

Jgnat, I assure you that what would make me feel better is the idea that I would never have to confront this issue.

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

give it time and break the news slowly. you don't want your family to cut you off just because you had scruples about being up front

pepheuga

• Confession
    Confession

Free Willy,

Thanks so much for your post. You made a few comments that I'm definitely going to keep in mind. (Trying to show them I'm giving serious consideration to certain issues--not giving them easy reason to default to one of the typical assumptions.) While you have had zero percent success, it is also possible that someone may eventually begin to discover the things you discovered--and your former comments may make it easier for them to give themselves permission to investigate them as you did. That's what I have in mind myself. I don't think for a second that more than a couple (if that) of my family members will actually listen to me for more than two minutes about what I've learned. But for me this has been a process, and I hope that in beginning to reveal what I've learned in a progressive manner now (rather than years from now) I can perhaps be the catalyst that starts the process for them.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Awesome advice people. I wish that I could think on the fly like so many of you.

Confession: You've been given many good conceptual starting points here. I personally would just use the warfare approach. Lie. Bluff. But, you could also go on the offensive, and there are many different levels of doing that.

I would reccomend taking the slow approach first to consolidate your own position, and then perhaps assume a posture that would allow you to be dynamic.

Not being delibrately hurtful, is different from protecting another's feelings. Their feelings are theirs' and you are not responsible for their reactions.

Good Luck.

• Confession
    Confession

Hey, darkuncle,

I certainly recognize I'm not responsible for my individual family members. Quite a few have made that comment to me, so let me be clear: I'm responsible for myself. My interest in communicating with them (in whatever way I do) is because I'd like them to know what I know. It's that simple really. I used to think that JWs had The Truth--and so I would tell people so. Now that I recognize it is not--and that it is actually in some ways destructive and fraudulent--I want people to know that too. Especially my own family. While sharing this information with them is no guarantee that they'll accept it (or indeed even listen to it,) it seems the only proper and loving thing to do. I recognize the ramifications that may come along with this. While I understand many of you have decided these ramifications are too great, personally I refuse to remain under the oppressive shackles of the Watchtower Society. Just won't live my life in fear of them--or how they may implore my family to treat me once I make things known to them.

I do recognize the importance of letting some time pass, if for no other reason than to make sure I've got all my ducks in a row--and am prepared to explain if need be. That I will do.

My sincere appreciation to all of you...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit