Do they allow internet at bethel?

by freedom96 33 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Just curious, with all the internet bashing, etc, if a bethelite wanted to have internet access in their room, would it be allowed.

If so, I wonder if they monitor the activity?

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

yes and yes

• freedom96
    freedom96

Any experiences with this?

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

only that an ex friend of ours (still JWs) his son at bethel got his dad a laptop but put on it the software that the son can monitor where he goes on the internet all the way from bethel!!! Yes, across many state lines. This kid is in the computer department. So if he's monitoring his own dad, you can just imagine how they are monitoring the bethel family.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

a friend of mine stayed at bethel a couple of years ago... he was watching CABLE TV, and at a certain hour, certain channels are cut off. so if it's anything like their cable viewing priveleges, they somehow firewall or monitor or limit the internet access of the bethelite, therefore making it boring and stupid. so why go on?

bethel minute

• Pwned
    Pwned

[quote]only that an ex friend of ours (still JWs) his son at bethel got his dad a laptop but put on it the software that the son can monitor where he goes on the internet all the way from bethel!!! Yes, across many state lines. This kid is in the computer department. So if he's monitoring his own dad, you can just imagine how they are monitoring the bethel family.[/quote]

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

Yes they do.

And my brother in law (and sister) who is presently doing work (at the branch in new york and now colombia)there has a wireless laptop.

Many puter savvy ones may have thier own firewalls preventing access or monitoring though if directly using the society's server they may be able to access some info.

The fact the bethelite was monitoring his dads pc is simple, he probably put on a remote monitoring keylogger on there. Some are undetectable but all you need is access to the computer to install and the other users may or may not know of it. The data is then emailed or can be seen online.

Hope that helps.

Btw I'm no longer a NOOOB

-Riot of the Junior Member Post Junkie Class

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

it's quite easy for them to allow full acess to the web, and still keep everyone fearful. it's a simple gateway log that the admin runs. it logs every single IP address in bethel (which can map to a room or office based on time stamped DHCP logs [allows dynamic assignment]), and the url it visited. then the admin just runs a script on the log at the end of the day that searches for certain urls or words. and presto, instant 1984 (i know, because i'm an admin). they may even submit a report to the mind police up on floor 7. LOL

and if they don't run a logger, they're stupid.

the only bethelites that don't get hell for coming here to this site would be the admins. LOL

hi guys!

TS

• zagor
    zagor

work in network security for a very large corporation and what you describe doesnt seem likely. perhaps the software logs where he goes and then the son can check it later or something. as far as bethel goes i'm sure they have a proxy server that logs everything and blocks content based on categories but whoever manages can get around it if they want to and i doubt their equipment is very sophisticated, i'm sure its not hard to bypass if someone were so inclined and i wouldnt be surprised if certain people had unlimited access, for research of course.

Sorry mate but this is a major B.S.

You don't have to be overly smart these days to write a spyware or a Trojan-horse that will do exactly that. In fact, that's exactly what most of those things actually do do.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I used to work in a firm where the IT department was thinking of piloting a system which would allow them to monitor everywhere you went on the internet. The only thing that stopped them (I think) was the privacy laws. I think they would have had to get your permission to let them run the thing on your computer.

One of the people in the IT department tried to trick me into running it on my computer, (because he wanted to monitor me for personal purposes!!). Anyway when I found out what he was trying to do it made me cry! (cos thats how professional I am)

So long story short - im sure there is stuff out there that means you can monitor where people look on the internet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit