Mom says, "CO says there's only 15 years left!"

by Separation of Powers 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Well, it just keeps getting better!   I don't typically hear from my mom often, but I tell you, over the past couple of weeks, I have heard from her several times.   You heard the comment about "our way of worship will be altered" and thank you for your posts by the way....but yesterday, she calls and is asking about the kids and then, in typical JW fashion mind you, says:

"You know, you should really get back to meetings.  The kids need it.  This system is only getting worse.  When the CO was here, he said that 'we believe that the system can't go on more than 15 years! and you know how fast time goes by.  That means the kids won't even get to be ?? (ages hidden to protect the innocent) before the end of the system."

Needless to say, I actually started to laugh....I shouldn't have said it, but I sarcastically said, "Are you kidding me Mom?  Back in the late 60's, dad used to question taking us to the dentist because the end was right around the corner.  THAT kind of crap aint gonna happen to my kids because the "end is SOOO close!"

• cappytan
    cappytan

Good for you! Great response.

How did she react when you said that?

• sir82
    sir82

15? That's, like, forever.

When I was young, an embarrassing number of decades ago, the standard line was that "this system of things can't go on another 5 years!"

Every once in a while, you'd get a loonier-than-normal guy who'd say "2 years, max!"

And every time a new president was elected, "This is the president that going to lead us into Armageddon! I just know it!".

And the self-righteous dingalings who would say, after buying a new car, "this is our Armageddon car! It's the last one we'll ever buy!"

15 years? You're not going to motivate anybody with a time frame like that.

• cleanideas
    cleanideas
    Ugh, I remember being 10 years old KNOWING that I would never graduate high school being told that the end was SO CLOSE!  I'm 40 now.  It will always be close to the end for them.  I remember receiving panicked emails from my sister after 9/11 because that was the prelude to Armageddon, LOL it just never stops with them!   
  • Simon
    Simon
    I remember being 10 years old KNOWING that I would never graduate high school being told that the end was SO CLOSE!

Yeah, we were told that nonsense too. My eldest is graduating and going to university.

They like to have these rumour / innuendo of the end coming soon so that they can make people anxious and keen to contribute but there is nothing concrete to pin things on them.

It is the teflon religion - non-stick.

• undercover
    undercover
    When I was young, an embarrassing number of decades ago, the standard line was that "this system of things can't go on another 5 years!"

I remember my father-in-law saying almost word for word the same thing.  Two sentences later he was talking about his retirement plans...10 years in the future.  For JWs, that is typical cognitive dissonance.  Repeating the mantra as heard from the WTS over and over and over, yet managing to overcome that notion when dealing with personal plans.

I remember being 10 years old KNOWING that I would never graduate high school being told that the end was SO CLOSE! 

I remember that as well...and I've got a decade plus on you. I remember as an early teen, worrying about the system lasting longing enough to get my driver's license and a car, graduating high school, getting laid ... the list goes on. Here I am staring retirement in the face with no real retirement plan. Never went to college, never planned a career, never worried about pensions or 401Ks until I finally woke up to the lie I was in.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

When I was younger, I was 'regular in the ministry' and 'working towards baptism'.

I was encouraged to go through the United in Worship book and the baptism questions. I was told it would be a shame if I 'missed out'. That was in Sept 1994   

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    CO says there's only 15 years left! - 2015 + 15 = 2030. Could this be the start for teaching a 120 year teaching period like Noah? 1914 + 120 = 2034 for the big A?
  • Simon
    Simon
    Shhhhh - you'll give them ideas !! :D
  • Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I was told in the 1960's that I would never finish high school. Well let's see...I finished high school, my children finished high school and some of my grandchildren have finished high school.  I have been told...."Well just think how much closer we are now than when your were in high school."   When I tell some JW's that are my age that I have accepted that I am going to die in this system of things they at first look a little surprised and then I see in their eyes that they know that is the truth, they just can't say it themselves.

Sour Grapes 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit