2005 "Godly Obedience" District Convention Report

by CyrusThePersian 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi everybody!

I don't post much and this is the first thread I've ever started so please bear with me. I wanted to give my obsevations on the 2005 "Godly Obedience" District Convention.If the things I say are redundant, I apologize.

Anyways, I was coerced into going by my daughter. This is the first convention I've gone to in years. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have gone to this one except that she was assigned to go to Huntsville Alabama and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go to the U.S. Space and Rocket Museum there (which was waaaay cool, by the way!)

Back to the dull stuff, on Friday morning in the talk "Resurrection-Why That Hope Should Be Real" the speaker asked the audiance how many had been in the troof for years-decades even, then he went on to say that these ones accepted the troof fully expecting to never grow old in this old system (Geez-wonder where they got that idea?) and now they find themselves afflicted with the maladies of old age and -in his exact words-"may very well grow old and die in this old system" Now, of course, they should refocus their hope on the resurrection. To me all the recent garbage on the resurrection is just WT spin control on their own failed prophesies about the end of the world. It just plain didn,t happen and now people who thought they would spend eternity frolicking amoungst the daffodils are now facing the prospect of pushing up daisies.

On Saturday, the baptism talk had the unusual title, "Let Your Yes Mean Yes" (Perhaps a slam against those who attempt to nullify their baptisms?) In this talk the baptimal questions were discussed. Particularly interesting was the junk about obedience to "God's" organization and how we should be ready to obey orginizational directions and follow the lead of the elders. He then stated obedience is easy if you understand what's being asked of you but it takes true submission to go ahead and follow direction when you don't fully comprehend.--That's right-You be a good little drone and do what you're told-even if the direction comes from an idiot elder who sweeps floors for a living or from an organization that makes 180 degree flip flops on doctrianal issues every few years.

Finally, the moment everyone was waiting for--the part, "What Does The Bible Really Teach?" The speaker made the comment that we should ignore " superstition about the Bible's origin and authorship" Yeah like the Bible's claim of divine inspiration despite hundreds of pages of God-approved blood-thirsty carnage or the looney laws such as how to tell if one's wife has been unfathful (by making her drink dirty water-if she gets sick--Bingo!-Num.5:11-28)

After the session i got a copy of the new book.Iin thumbing through it I noticed an interesting thing. On page 75 two of the three persons dipicted as being resurrected are children. On page 107 the funeral of a child is shown. Is the society subtly trying to prepare new converts for the possibility that their children may die by following their heartless doctrine on blood transfusion?

On a lighter note, I didn't go to the Sunday session, I'd had enough. Instead I went back to the U.S. Space and Rocket Museum and took some pictures of the SR-71 Blackbird airplane they have parked outside and I went to the Histoic railroad depot downtown. On the plus side, Huntsville is a beautiful town, the people are friendly and the town is spotlessly clean-even the interstate highway right-of ways are well-maintained and landscaped! Anyway, that was my convention experience. I only hope that it's five more years-at least- before I go to another one!

Thanks for reading!

Cyrus The Persian

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

now people who thought they would spend eternity frolicking amoungst the daffodils are now facing the prospect of pushing up daisies.

ROTFLOL

• Jourles
    Jourles
    on Friday morning in the talk "Resurrection-Why That Hope Should Be Real"

Boy, they sure are letting the Legal Department take charge in these "last days." In years past, that talk would have NEVER been titled in that fashion. Why that hope should be real? What the hell? Are they not confident in their own prophecies anymore? The talk should have been titled: "Resurrection - Why that hope will be real."

It seems that the GB are starting to mumble "Ummmm" more these days. The uncertainties are piling up.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Thing is you can blame the GB all you like and I know they approve what is put out at conventions - but most material if not all is written by non-anointed and therefore non-GB these days and as Ray said in CoC even in the early 1980s most material was written by non-GB or non-anointed

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Thanks Cyrus for your report...dont blame you for making saturday your last day....dont know how you lasted that long with that amount of bollocks being spoken.

DB74

• heathen
    heathen

The bible is pretty clear that the great tribulation will be devestating and that if God did not intervene no flesh would be saved at all . That's in Daniel . I think it's about time they set their sites a little lower after all the false predictions of the past that created a bunch of hype over nothing . I believe we are in the last days but nobody can say how much time is left . According to the WTBTS the scarlet beast has yet to attack and devour the harlot then go off into destruction leaving the lamb beast that pretends to be the scarlet colored beast or the US and britain coaliton . So far I think the UN is being contoled by those 2 . Every time George Bush opens his mouth I see more false teachings and claims that are not to be fulfilled by man , such as world peace and security . I don't believe the military can succeed in bringing about Utopian reform.

• sf
    sf

I like your post heathen. Bingo.

It just plain didn,t happen and now people who thought they would spend eternity frolicking amoungst the daffodils are now facing the prospect of pushing up daisies.

Seriously sad and funny at same time.

sKally

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

"Resurrection-Why That Hope Possibly Could Be Should Be Real"

Assumeption Assumeption Assumeption Assumeption Assumeption Assumeption

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Thanks for this Cyrus

"Resurrection-Why That Hope Should Be Real"

.....well - I always believed that the dead were 'guaranteed' a resurrection anyway (REAL hope, sins paid for) - well, except for the Sodom lot who don't know whether they're coming or going.

• potleg
    potleg

More new light...you wont get what we've been promising for decades...makes me feel sooo good ...the idea of dying before the new system. Suprise, suprise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit