Current disfellowshipping practices- please help.

by amarantha 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8
    A friend of mind who also left the religion just recently told me he thought they had changed their policies a bit, and didn't bother to disfellowship people, unless they were trying to re-enter the religion.

That is exactly what the elders' manual says in my previous post. That is what they're supposed to do, and that's what happened to me. I had been inactive for so long before I did any major "proveable" "sin", they had no basis to take any action against me.

Just don't say anything and maybe nothing will happen. If you don't want to be shunned by your family, just try not to mention celebrating holidays or joining another religion.

Joining another religion according to the elders' manual is DAing onself, not apostacy. Speaking against the dubs is apostacy.

• blondie
    blondie

Is joining another religion considered apostasy by the WTS? Read this:

w86 10/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers

· What is the fitting response of the congregation if someone leaves the true Christian faith and joins another religion?

Such a thing sometimes occurred in the first century. Thus it is understandable that it happens on occasion today. When it does, the congregation appropriately responds to protect the spiritual cleanness of the loyal Christians in it.

One dictionary defines apostasy as "renunciation of one’s religion, principles, political party, etc." Another says: "Apostasy . . . 1 : renunciation of a religious faith 2 : abandonment of a previous loyalty." Accordingly, Judas Iscariot was guilty of a form of apostasy when he abandoned the worship of Jehovah God by betraying Jesus. Later, others became apostates by deserting the true faith even while the apostle John and other early disciples were alive. John wrote: "They went out from among us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us."—1 John 2:19.

What is to be done when a similar thing happens today? The elders, or shepherds, of the congregation might learn of a baptized Christian who has ceased associating with Jehovah’s people and who has apparently become associated with another religion. In harmony with Jesus’ words about being concerned about any stray sheep, the spiritual shepherds should be interested in helping such a person. (Matthew 18:12-14; compare 1 John 5:16.) But what if the shepherds designated to look into the matter determine that the person no longer wants to have anything to do with Jehovah’s people and is determined to remain in a false religion?

They would then simply announce to the congregation that such one has disassociated himself and thus is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Such a person would have ‘abandoned his previous loyalty,’ but it is not necessary for any formal disfellowshipping action to be taken. Why? Because he has already disassociated himself from the congregation. Likely he is not trying to maintain contact with his former brothers so as to persuade them to follow him. For their part, the loyal brothers are not seeking fellowship with him, since ‘he went out from them, for he was not of their sort.’ (1 John 2:19) Such a disassociated person who ‘has gone out from us’ might begin to send letters or literature promoting false religion or apostasy. That would underscore that the individual definitely ‘is not of our sort.’

The Scriptures warn, though, that some would try to remain among God’s people and there attempt to mislead others. The apostle Paul advised: "From among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves." (Acts 20:30) He pointedly warned Christians ‘to keep their eye on those who cause divisions and occasions for stumbling contrary to the teaching that they had learned, and avoid them.’—Romans 16:17, 18.

So if someone became a false teacher among true Christians, as did Hymenaeus and Philetus in Paul’s day, the shepherds of the flock would have to take protective steps. If the person rejected their loving admonition and continued to promote a sect, a committee of elders could disfellowship, or expel, such one for apostasy. (2 Timothy 2:17; Titus 3:10, 11) The individual brothers and sisters in the congregation would follow Paul’s direction to "avoid" the one who tried to "cause divisions." John counseled similarly: "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him."—2 John 10.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w85 7/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

John says: "Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him." (2 John 9, 10) Those words certainly would have applied to a person who became an apostate by joining a false religion or by spreading false doctrine. (2 Timothy 2:17-19)

• amarantha
    amarantha

Rebel 8-

Yes, you're right. That is exactly how they have dealt with me so far as well... I am just concerned that the status quo will have to change when I once again live in close proximity, and because of my child can't (and won't) hide my celebration of holiday's etc. Surely he will tell them about the great birthday party he had, etc. I will never try to shove it in their face, or even mention it around them. But, what happens when they come to visit and we have a tree up, or something?

Anyway, I'll cross my fingers, and hope things can continue as they have. I just don't believe that they will, and it would almost be a relief for something, anything, to happen. One last, "let's have it out, and make sure everyone knows where everyone stands". I'm a little tired of trying to hide my life to pander to their craziness.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hello and welcome Amarantha. It's nice to have you here.

John says: "Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God.

Thanks Blondie....once again, using your comments, we have lots to work with to shoot them right in the foot!

We can see what the bible says about the "teachings of Christ". The WTS enjoys these little tidbits and mental nudges as proof that they are THE religion chosen by God himself. The Org is so far from Christ's teachings it is almost laughable. Just they themselves spout things from the bible to suit their own agenda, does not make it so. Most of their beliefs have little to do with God.

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him." (2;John 9,&10)

What teaching? The teaching of Christ---or the teaching of the Watchtower Society? Obviously it would be the former. Keeping in the context of 2John 6---one teaching the bible speaks of is the thought that (2 John 6:7) Christ never came in the flesh. THAT would qualify as an "apostate" teaching. It has nothing whatsover to DO with what the WTS teaches, which wasn't even heard of at the time the bible was being written!

Those words certainly would have applied to a person who became an apostate by joining a false religion or by spreading false doctrine. (2 Timothy 2:17-19)

(SIGH......) The dictionary says that the word "apostate" applies to anyone ( not only a JW) who leaves a former belief whether it be religious or political. How MANY who became JWs left a former belief????? Does this make them apostates too? Or is it another term misapplied by the WTS to make it appear that they are something more than they are??? THEY are not closely following God OR Jesus' teachings but yet claim to be THE only ones that God himself has approved. HAH!

Anything the WTS vomits out of their mouth MUST be researched as to its authenticity---and not through WTS publications.THEN we can get on with living our lives free of their control and outright deception.

hugs to you Amarantha,

Annie

• amarantha
    amarantha

Blondie- thanks for the input, but I’m a little confused.

In your first post I get the impression joining another religion, and not trying to maintain contact with the congregation would result in an announcement that you are no longer a Jehovah’s Witness, plain and simple. That you would only be an apostate if you tried to “send letters or literature promoting false religion”.

But the second post leads me to believe you would be called an apostate simply by “joining a false religion”.

Which do you think it is?

Also, if I may ask, are you currently a JW? Former JW who still has their books?

Thanks for your response.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

If you have given up your previous beliefs = apostate. You don't have to meet with them you will be 'trialed in abstantia". If you current beliefs are not that of the organisation and the get to know about it (in the case of my mother - she was out for 8 years & just recently has turned to God again, but not what she knew as a JW - she has now been disassociated) you will be disassociated by means of your works - you don't even have to say you don't want to be a JW - remember what they teach, what they preach, what they publish and what they do are 7 very different things.

If I was you , in order to keep associating with your family just play dumb on the religious front. If you can that is.....

• amarantha
    amarantha

Sunspot-

I have to admit, while reading the definition of apostacy I was also thinking: Well, gee, the world is full of apostates. After all, who hasn't left behind a belief, political, religious or otherwise. Don't most people at some point in their lives re-assess what they believe and adjust accordingly? After reading that, it makes me realize I'm still accepting the JW definition, and reacting to the word apostate exactly the way the Society wants me to.

Thank you for your welcome and input.

• blondie
    blondie

If a JW joins another religion, the WTS/elders considers them to be an apostate unless they repent, remove their name from the religion officially. Of course, if the WTS/elders are unaware that the person has joined, they won't take action.

It boils down to this, if a baptized JW joins another religion, the WTS/elders/congregation knows it, they can prove it, that person will be viewed as having "disassociated" themselves from the JW congregation. The elders may try and approach the person to confirm with them they don't want to be a JW any more. No judicial committee has to be formed or held. The procedure now is for them to announce to the congregation that SoandSo is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

They will be treated like a DF'd person; no one will talk or associate with them. But they may be viewed as more dangerous association because this action is considered apostasy, that JWs are in danger of having their religious views corrupted; somehow smoking and sexual immorality are not considered as serious.

Blondie

• amarantha
    amarantha

Thanks Blondie. I think I understand. It amazes me that I grew up thinking I understood all of this, but really had no clue what it all meant.

Probably no official announcement that I'm an apostate, though people may view me as one. Am I right?

Disassociated and Dangerous. That's me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit