Protecting the identity of child sexual offenders is WRONG!

by Dragonlady76 12 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• rebel8
    rebel8
    The parents walked in on this 11 year old boy with his 5 year old sister [ ]

I used to treat abuse victims and know they are often very disturbed by graphic discussion of rape and violence such as that contained in the above sentence. It even bothers me and I'm not a victim myself. Such words can trigger nightmares, flashbacks, or worse for victims. I don't mean to be bossy or anything DL--I know you were angry (rightly)--I know there are a lot of abuse survivors on this forum and I'm concerned about their well being.

I've seen others use similar wording and have had the same concerns then too.

When I did therapy groups with victims I would have a ground rule to use only non-graphic words such as molest, rape, assault, etc. Mentioning body parts, sexual acts, body fluids, etc. was off-limits.

BTW, based on my experience with victims and perps of all ages, I wholeheartedly agree their identities should not be protected. It does a terrible disservice to society. The only qualifier I would have is to not include anything that may be punishable by law but in reality is "normal", age-appropriate child stuff such as "show me yours and I'll show you mine". Stuff like that shouldn't be used to label someone as a perp.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I do not understand if this kid's family was so great how he would even know at the age of 11 what to do with his penis! How could he know how to commit a sex act or do you have sex education at nursery in the states now?

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    I used to treat abuse victims and know they are often very disturbed by graphic discussion of rape and violence such as that contained in the above sentence. It even bothers me and I'm not a victim myself. Such words can trigger nightmares, flashbacks, or worse for victims. I don't mean to be bossy or anything DL--I know you were angry (rightly)--I know there are a lot of abuse survivors on this forum and I'm concerned about their well being.

rebel8,

I understand your concern & I'm a compassionate person, I did not think of it in the way that you presented it, however seeing as your so concerned with others feelings it would have been in "good taste" of you to bring this to my attention privately via PM, not as a post for all to see. That's why the forum has moderators, to monitor posts & edit content.

DL76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit