"Snare and a racket", you gotta be kidding?

by Fatfreek 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

"Religion is a snare and a racket". Two questions:

1. Can someone source that quotation? I couldn't find it at the Quotes site.

2. What could the KH do if a group got on their steps, placards and loudspeakers, and announced a similar slogan, like "The Watchtower is a snare and a racket"?

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think it's from a really old campaign the wts did with placards. It's mentioned in 30 yrs a wt slave.

What could the KH do if a group got on their steps, placards and loudspeakers, and announced a similar slogan, like "The Watchtower is a snare and a racket"?

I believe that's been done.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

When the WTS made that statement------I do believe that was the ONLY claim they rightly made about themselves! How prophetic!

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

WTS atty Hayden Covington mentioned it in an interview you can find at www.freeminds.org

Covington: That came about after I quit the Morrison firm and went over with R. H. Mercer, who was a defender of damage suits for the Maryland Casualty Company in San Antonio. And there was some brothers who got arrested down in the valley because of a meeting that was held down there and I went down and appeared on their behalf and got the case thrown out. And then it was my name reached the Society and they assigned me to represent the Society in a will contest case up in Curville, Texas, and I handled that for the Society And then the Brothers got involved in controversy with the San Antonio police and that is when we get into the matter of Brother Heath. We were having information marches, and the cops were trying to stop us. And it became necessary for me to have a conference with the Mayor of the City of San Antonio on whether Jehovah's Witnesses have the right to engage in information marches, carrying the sign that religion is a snare and a racket.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

here's a pic:

alt

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Looks like it was also on the old phonograph records they used too (also found at www.freeminds.org )

Rutherford Records

buy all on a CD-ROM here

Recorded Bible discourses had a prominent role in the witnessing work during the 1930s and early 1940s The phonographs used by Kingdom publishers themselves underwent change with the passing of time. About 1934, when this work first started, there was a strong compact model with a spring-wound motor and carrying space for several discs. With 6 discs, it weighed twenty-one pounds. When this work first started the phonograph was so heavy that the brothers kept it in their automobile or left it at a convenient place until they found people who were willing to listen to a recorded Bible discourse.

A few years later, at an assembly in Columbus. Ohio, on September 15-20. 1937, the work using the portable phonograph on the doorstep was introduced. Formerly the Witnesses had been carrying the phonograph in the service but had only played it when invited inside. Now it was played on every doorstep. The procedure was simple: After stating that he had an important Bible message. the publisher would put the needle on the record and let it do the talking.

As of 1940, more than 40,000 phonographs were being used. Then, at conventions in 1940. a new vertical-type phonograph was introduced. Designed and built by the brothers at the Society's headquarters, the phonograph played in an upright position. It even had a cubbyhole for literature, and perhaps a little lunch. This model greatly facilitated the house-to-house preaching work. It stirred up much curiosity because householders could not see the record as it was being played. Each record was 78 rpm and was four and a half minutes in length. Upwards of 90 different discourses were recorded on 150 different records and over a million were put to use.

This CD contains over 90 of these records and represents over 14 hours of discourses by Rutherford and others. They are presented in mp3 format so they are not playable on a home CD player without the software to play mp3s, but they are playable on your home computer. To hear them you will have to use a mp3 player. There are many outstanding free ones available on the Internet. If you visit http://www.winamp.com you will be able to download an mp3 player for free. Once you have installed your player simply select the CD through the player and choose the selection you wish to listen to. This CD is CD-R so your CD-ROM should be able to read those types of recordable discs.

Recorded Messages featured:

1 - Jehovah
    2 - Rebellion
    11 -12 - Whose Servant
    29 - Prince of Peace
    30 - Peace Messengers
    31 - God's Organization
    32 - Satan's Organization
    33 - 34 - Warning
    41 - Church’s Commission
    42 - Great Multitude
    61 - 78 - Exposed
    79 - 96 - Religion or Christianity
    97 - 99 - Armageddon Survivors
    100 - Cleansed World
    101 - Value of Knowledge
    102 - Riches
    103 - 113 - Safety
    113 - Song114 - Enemies
    125 - 135 - Warning
    136 - For Liberty
    137 - 138 - Awake
    139 - 149 - Violence
    150 - Seattle Convention
    153 - Miracles
    154 - Instructions
    167 - 178 Fill the Earth
    179 - 190 - Fascism or Freedom
    191 - 203 - Victory
    204 - Snare and Racket205-218 Government and Peace
    219 - 230 - The End
    231 - 248 - Religion
    277 - 291 - Children of the King
    317 - 330 - Peace - Can It Last?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Jehovah's witnesses In The Divine Purpose .145 (1959)

A new service begun in Newark New Jersey, was further developed in London . In advertising the lecture "Face The Facts " not only were placards suspended from the shoulders of individual witnesses fore and aft, but additionally between those wearing the placards, other witnesses carried signs fastened to poles. These signs read alternately "Religion Is a Snare and a Racket" and "Serve God and Christ the King" . The brothers then formed a parade line that was six miles long and walked through the busy sections of the city passing out handbills as they went advertising the talk.

Incidentally, I believe that in those days they did not claim to be a religion.. so they could talk about "religion" as a seperate body to themselves

• VM44
    VM44

Those people are WEARING the image of JUDGE RUTHERFORD???!!!!!

I thought Rutherford was against CREATURE worship? Oh, wait a minute, he was against creature worship if it was directed towards Russell.

Promoting him and his title of JUDGE (earned for sitting a total of 4-days as a fill-in circuit judge) is OK though.

Those people back then were stupid, they were being used, and they didn't even know it!

--VM44

• Makena1
    Makena1

My mother told me she when she participated in several of these marches, it seemed to her at the time that everyone of her classmates passed her on the street looking at her like she was nutz! Pretty bold for a soft spoken teenage girl who moved from a small town in Texas to Los Angeles.

BTW - I have a couple of those old phonographs in decent condition and a few dozen of da Judge's records. We are getting ready to move in a few months and I am unloading a lot of "stuff". Any idea what the phonographs are worth if anything?

All best,

Mak

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Incidentally, I believe that in those days they did not claim to be a religion.. so they could talk about "religion" as a seperate body to themselves

That is what I remember also.They were called Jehovah's witnesses with a SMALL W.It was in the early 80's ( I think) when they were finally called "Jehovah's Witnesses" They used to make a big deal out of it at the time....that they were not a religion...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit