Has anybody seen tonight's CBS 48 Hours Mystery on Chris Longo?

by sunshineToo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I didn't watch it last night. But since it happened here in Oregon, I'm very familiar with the case from local news.

I find it interesting that Longo chose Finkle's I.D. (or whatever his name is - that's how impressed I am) . Once con steeling from another.

As I posted on the other thread, I think Longo should hang by his family jewels. He's a coward.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

There was a long article in the Portland Or. "Oregonian news paper" a few days ago.

It told of the killings and of this Finkle guy and took up about 1/2 of a page.

Nowhere did it speak to his being a JW.

I thought this was odd.

But as I think about it, Oregon is one of the most "politicaly correct" states in the union.

So I guess I ought not be surprised.

Outoftheorg

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I have a feeling like what Grace said---that the WTS somehow had to clear the taping first to make sure that nothing negative would spoil the WTS precious image.

Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I am certain CBS does not clear its shows with the subjects prior to airing them, nor does any other mainstream news outfit. That's just not how the news business operates. In fact, that's precisely how it does NOT operate.

--Willy Loman (former newsman)

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

Yes i watched it, the light bulb went off when they said they were from the same congregation, but i am unaware if there were JW's.

So are we 100% sure they were JW's ?????????????????????

were they married JW's ?????????????????????????????????

Why would it not be mentioned in the program ???????????????

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but I am certain CBS does not clear its shows with the subjects prior to airing them

Hi Willy,

I wouldn't have thought so, but the glaring fact that Longo's JW background was overlooked it sure seemed that way! I couldn't think of any other reason that CBS would omit this aspect of their lives!

Usually, the press manages to mention the affiliation with the WTS, even when it isn't necessary. By this I mean that when I was a JW and very sensitive about things that were said-----the media ALWAYS made mention of the fact that so and so was a JW, etc. I used to wonder why was it that when anyone else made the news---why they didn't say "a Methodist was arrested today"...you know what I mean?

When it played such a large part of the "early years to marriage" in the Longo's lives---it was odd that it wasn't even mentioned at all!

Annie

• Buster
    Buster

I didn't see that report. But I have seen Longo on TV, in one of his court appearances.

It is a huge oversight for a news report to elide the fact that he is/was a JW. It is fundamental to the story. You see, in court the bastard testified that in his 'religion', they believe in a resurrection. In a round-about way, they were better off dead.

And I think he seemed familar to some because he looked like the typical, smarmy, pretentious, I-should-be-an-elder-by-now a$$hole that most of us have left behind.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Sunspot: I agree it's a glaring omission and pertinent to the story. But I also know from experience that JW's don't score very high on news media radar. As dubs, we were taught that we were central to the outworking of the cosmic scheme of things, but in fact we were merely incidental from the world's point of view. That's a view most news people have, too.

The real wonder is that JWs are mentioned at all in the media, and the truth is they seldom are unless they add to the "weird factor" in a story. Add to this the fact that most news reporters are products of modern schools and sensitivity training from birth, so they are loathe to criticize someone's religion unless -- and this is the important distinction -- they see it as a key element in the story. Apparently, this reporter just thinks Longo is whacked and doesn't realize or appreciate the role his JW background may have played in his actions.

Trying to figure out why reporters and the media report/don't report things others view as critical keeps thousands of people employed and occupied on a daily basis.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Yes, they were definitely JW's and attended both Ypsilanti & Ann Arbor Michigan congregations. Chris' problems were more than evident even back then.

• blondie
    blondie

I might add that if you Google using, Christian Longo Jehovah's, you will find that the original news articles said quite a bit about his JW background. I would mention that at the time of the killings, he was a DF'd JW. Perhaps that is why they don't see the WT as being a key part of the story now.

It is worthwhile going back and reading what was said about his JW background. I see Christian Longo as a killer who happened to have have a WT background but is not a killer because of it. The man is a sociopath in my opinion.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit