Has anybody seen tonight's CBS 48 Hours Mystery on Chris Longo?

by sunshineToo 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

It covered his murders and his pretence of being Michael Finkel.

I was so discussed when they talked about the childrens (babies, practically). How could anyone commit a such thing? They mentioned that Mary and Chris were in the same congregation, but didn't mention that they were JWs. Hmmm...usually they mention everything. I don't know why they skipped it.

Anyway Chris Longo remind me of a jw I knew years ago. Is his character common in the jw community?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes I saw it. What a horrible crime- I too wondered why they didnt mention he was a JW. See where he counselled Finkle & Finkle obeyed.... I wonder why it was never mentioned about the WT,,,Could it be they (WT ) put pressure on the station????Me thinks YES!!!

• blondie
    blondie

I saw it this when it was originally unfolding and they were looking for the bodies and him and found him in Mexico with a woman.

I did not watch the repeat.

No, he is not common among JWs. But he sticks out because he comes from an organization that says they are not like other groups.

I do believe he was DF'd at the time this occurred. But the abuse in his family had been going on when he was a JW. Their policies regarding spousal abuse could have contributed to the ultimate conclusion of this family. He is a fairly successful conman.

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/archives/00002355.html

This happened about the same time a despondent DF'd JW killed his family and himself.

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/roe.htm

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with Blondie that sociopaths are not common in JW congregations.

Flocks of sheep are attractive to predatory wolves, especially when the sheepdogs are untrained volunteers.

So it is no huge surprise to see sociopaths like Christian Longo, Curtis Thompson or Jeff Anderson take advantage of the opportunities such flocks of compliant, unsuspecting victims offers.

Longo was an elder's son. I'll bet he did very well in the Theocratic Ministry School; so sincee, so believeable.

If you were able to play "Holy Spirit" for just one day, wouldn't you see to it that all such predators within the flock were revealed? But there I go, second-guessing the Holy Spirit, whch is no doubt working out the final details on yet another Awake! article about how to build a profitable business growing cucumbers.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I saw it too but I posted my response on the other thread. I bet the family would only agree to an interview if CBS would not mention the kingdom hall, thats what im thinking.

Dave

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I saw the author of the book...the ex NY Times or New Yorker writer on the Morning Show trying to drum up interest in his book about the whole experience. I don't know that we can believe anything he says in the book though because by his own admission he is a dishonest person for making up sources.

The whole situation with the Longos is just disgusting. Death is too good for this guy.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

CBS did sorta skirt the JW issue... any one here know him whilst he was in Ypsilanti? Are her sisters JW's too? If they are I cant imaging them passing up the opening to mention resurection, etc. They didnt (or the editor made sure) they didnt banter to much "loaded language" about.

I guess I missed the fact he was a JW in previous discussion. When I heard he was 19 and she was 25 at the time of their marriage and the "same congregation" phrase was said the light came on. Then the shift to cleaning business... I figured he may have been a JW at that time.

I guess I have know some guys like him while active... they just have not followed through yet. If you live a mutli-level lie like he did (and many of us have) you are bound to rationalize just about anything.

His appeals should be interesting to say the least. I can see JR Brown playing Johnny Cochrane already.

~Hill

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Yep. As they ended the story they brought out that he found a new girlfriend and that she visits him on death row.

M'

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I saw the show last night as well. I was watching and thinking that this guy is really a son of a b***ch.
    Then, it dawned on me that this guy was a JW. I was watching with my wife, who was unfamiliar with the story and told her that he was a JW. She couldn't believe it. It's a shame that they didn't mention that in the report.

I can't believe that this scumbag actually said that it was easy to kill the youngest child because he wasn't that close to the child because she was so young. WTF????? Sickening.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I saw it too. I was very disappointed in the fact that the whole JW thing was glossed over, just by mentioning they were in the same congregation. I was also ticked when Longo was saying how he had a great childhood and had great parents, etc etc---if he DID, and everything was so hunky-dory, why would he be such a miserable human being?

I have a feeling like what Grace said---that the WTS somehow had to clear the taping first to make sure that nothing negative would spoil the WTS precious image.

I am assuming that the sisters on the show, were JWs. No one said the name Jehovah, but they didn't use any terms that would make you think they were typical Christians. (like they are in heaven or with God now etc) They didn't wear crosses (I always look for that) either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit