Use of the word jah?

by carla 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

Carla, the same question was raised a E-watchman several months ago and as I remember, there were two or three quotes from the OT that used the "Jah" term. They seemed to think is was hunky dory, but to me it seemed derogatory. Then who am I?

carmel

• Quotes
    Quotes

In my experience, Jah was OK, but used only in some songs. I don't recal anyone using it in regular conversation.

~Quotes, of the "Praise Jah, you Nations with His people...the king, wil have his day... (or something like that)" class

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Joe Hoba is so much better

DL76

• Honesty
    Honesty

I always wondered why they use the name Jehovah when they don't recognise that He is also known by the name of Jesus. Oh well, what do you expect from a non Christian religion.

• Quentin
    Quentin

See yonder cross the breadth of Earth the site my heart entrances

Jehovah's army in unity advances

Their helmuts gleam aginst the sky

They shout aloud their battle cry

Christ reigns oh earth recieve him

Kiss the son lest God be angry and you perish in the way

Gad...some of the things you remember...Scuse me while I kiss the sky.

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

if the truth be told.....that is if the Watchtower wants too....I'll tell you.....As you may know by now Bethel really dislikes the Catholic church....yet a lone 15th century catholic monk came up with jehovah, let alone jeh.

Now I forget his name, but someone ot there should know it........of course now the Catholic Church may not want anyone to know, because they wish it to be anonymous too......HEY! Didn't I hear that same excuse when I confronted the watchtower on who translated their bible?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I believe that in the Hebrew OT, "Yah" was a shorter form of "Yahweh" used primarily in poetry. Hence expressions like "Praise Yah" - "Hallelujah". Despite their insistence on the importance of the divine Name, JW's don't put much stock in actually using the most accurate form of the Name that is available, so they use anglicized versions of it like "Jehovah" and "Jah".

I can see using a shortened form of the name in writing poetry, but using it as an abbreviation does seem a bit disrespectful to me (even though I myself used it regularly when I was a JW - it didn't bother me then like it does now).

• carla
    carla

The monks name was Martini, I believe it was the 12 century. As long as we are on the Name, I have asked husband about the other names for God, such as- El Elyon,

El Olam, El Roi, El Shaddai, Elohim, Yahweh-Jireh, Yahweh-Sabbaoth, Yahweh-Shalom, Yahweh-Shammah and even where God says His name Jealous. He never responded. Do the jw's even recognize these? I myself do not recognize the word 'jehovah', mostly when I am talking to husband though. As any vowel can be inserted without damaging the word grammatically, jihivih, johovoh, juhuvh etc. Yes, I understand that many do use it including the Catholics, even some Protestant and Evangelical types. But, by limiting His name to only one as the wt claims is the only way, I feel also would limit God an eternal being. It seems like they have packaged God up into a small little box. That's how I see it, so far anyway. thanks for your responses, carla

• bigmac
    bigmac

ive been on a facebook JW dating site--where african brothers use the word JAH a lot--ive asked them if the watchtower has approved the use of the abbreviation. isnt it a rastafarian word?

is it watchtower approved--anyone got a link?

• Splash
    Splash

(Ps 104:35) "Bless Jehovah, O my soul. Praise Jah, YOU people!"

(Re 19:6) "And I heard what was as a voice of a great crowd and as a sound of many waters and as a sound of heavy thunders. They said: “Praise Jah, YOU people."

So I guess they think it's ok.

splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit