"Blessings", Are they real?

by Dismembered 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Blessings defined:

auspiciousness, favor, smiles of fortune, good fortune, blessings, godsend, crowning mercy, goodness and mercy, good.

No doubt we've heard statements like,

"If you go out in service, you''l be blessed."

"If you have a bookstudy in your home Jehovah will bless you"

"We as Jehovah's people have been blessed"

No doubt we've made those kinds of statements, or had them said to us, while JW. What did they mean then to you then and how do you feel now? Is there any such thing, are they tangible, or just a crazy mindset, hocus-pocus dribble.

The latter is true for me

Dismembered

Who's the deadman that threw the salt shaker"

• Emma
    Emma

None of it was real.

Emma, of the Eyes Wide Open Class

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I agree Emma

Dismembered

Cripes!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    What did they mean then to you then and how do you feel now?

Now I realize that nobody was "blessing" anything I did or did not do as a JW. But I still believe in "blessings" or good fortune (whatever) smiling down when things go well for me.

Maybe it's coincidence (that great things have happened after someone had prayed for me, etc) but I'll just take it as some force that has bent my way for the moment.

I never felt particularly blessed as a JW, all 30 years of it But I have seen some pretty wonderful things happen since I've left!

Annie

• minimus
    minimus

Dismembered, you are a blessing!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

It always made me feel like I had one-up on somebody "worldly" or "apostate". Definately made me think I was this shit for being one of "jehovah's peoples". How sick.

It helped to make the wt's glue stick to my brain.

• Terry
    Terry

Technically (language-wise) a blessing is a happiness.

That's it.

Are you happy? Then, you are blessed.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You may all consider yourselves blessed by the Great Elsewhere.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It is funny how "Blessings " are only seen as such when they happen to Jehovah's Witnesses. When the self same thing happens to somebody else, it is just 'one of those things'

Personally, I never really bought into the logic of this "blessing" thing, although I admit that I used the expression from the platform. It was just part of the vocabulary .

Are they real? No.........although this computer and the internet has been a real blessing!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    You may all consider yourselves blessed by the Great Elsewhere.

Awwww...Else!

We are all blessed just having you around!

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit