Gay Adoptive Parents

by target 13 Replies latest jw friends

• target
    target

Got this update today from back in Wisconsin.

A dub lady's daughter who rebelled when she hit her teens produced two bi-racial children by different fathers. the dub lady was raising these children and when they were preschoolers she put them into foster care, being that their mother was not about to straighten herself out and be a mother. Now the children have been adopted by a lesbian couple who are providing a loving stable home for these unwanted children. The dub grandmother and her dub friends are all shocked and horrified that these children ended up in this den of lust and sin And yet they do not see anything wrong with how these children were traumatized by being given up by the grandmother after having lived with her for several years. Since she did not want them, she should have no say in who does raise them. The dubs give no thought to how happy the children are, only that they are with lesbians. Sometimes I just wish I had a big stick and was close enough to use it

Target

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I am not surprised in the least the grandmother feels this way. I talked to my dub mother about gay adoption and she said the poor kids adopted by gays would have identity crisis, be taunted at school, and maybe turn out gay. Then she said jehovah created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

I then told her that gay parents could give children something she would not have a clue about and that is unconditional love. The boys are lucky. They have a chance now of having a happy secure childhood.

• El blanko
    El blanko

Just to make myself unpopular - I prefer seeing a male & a female raising a child/children.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yeah, leave them in foster care for a str8 couple instead of an adopting, loving, lesbian couple.... same arguments that used to be given for keeping kids within certain racial adopted families.

• under74
    under74

Amazing the frame of mind that would rather see kids shuffled from one home to the next instead of having some security and love.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Two or three years ago a local council here in the UK prevented a Jehovah's Witness couple from adopting..

A couple originally approved by a council as adoptive parents have been refused permission by social workers to adopt a child, because they are Jehovah's Witnesses.

The couple, who cannot be named for legal reasons, have had temporary care of the 16-month-old girl since she was a few days old. But the couple, who live near Cambridge, have now been told that they cannot adopt the child permanently because the girl's natural mother does not want her daughter to be brought up by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Cambridge County Council's social services department said that officials were acting in accordance with the child's natural mother as laid down by law. A spokesman stressed that they would probably be able to adopt other children as the council had approved them as adoptive parents.

The couple plan a meeting with social workers to try to reverse the decision. Liz Railton, Cambridgeshire County Council's director of social services, said: "The county council's adoption process does not have any religious restrictions."

One of the problems with the Watchtower is that while it goes to great lengths to differentiate itself from the rest of society it takes exception when society views it as different.

El Blanko, would you say that all gays are unsuitable as adoptive parents? Wouldn't a loving and stable homosexual couple, properly vetted and with the desire to raise a child, provide a more suitable framework for the childs development than a heterosexual married couple who happened to be lazy, uninterested in their children, drank and smoke too much or were habitually unfaithful?

Which couple would provide the better role models?

Please don't take offence. I ask this question in all sincerity and am not looking to provoke an argument, it's just that I am struggling to cope with my own viewpoint towards homosexuality. I was raised as a JW from birth and always believed that homosexuality is evil and condemned by God. However, times, attitudes and my outlook have changed and I'm trying to recognise that just because a person is different in one aspect of their lives it doesn't mean that they are, by default, unworthy of the opportunity to raise children.

I've known men who were serial adulterers who managed to raise good kids - why can't a man who makes a serious life-long commitment to his male partner do an equal if not better job?

To tell you the truth, I am undecided about this in my own mind. Perhaps - however loving and stable a gay couple may be - there is something unique about the raising of a child that requires both a Mum and Dad.

• El blanko
    El blanko

Trouble is - the more I say, the more I will be flogged to death

I am focusing on my "ideal" - not the topsy-turvey moral standards of this broken world.

I'd rather promote the model I feel safe with, than promote a standard I cannot whole heartedly endorse.

I am not the kind of person to pick up a bat and pound a homosexual in a dark alley btw - I am a fair minded and relatively tolerant person, but I do have standards that I try to stick to.

That's it, feel free to beat me with a stick people. I won't add to this thread, as I don't want a war on my hands.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

No war from me my friend - I learned a long time ago that it's okay not to agree with everyone.

Nic'

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the WTS discourages JWs from adopting out their children or grandchildren since minor children are considered subject to the fate of their parents. That is if the adoptive parents are not JWs, they will die at Armageddon if they remain so, and their minor children as well. So the grandmother and other JW relatives are at fault to begin with if the child(ren) suffer eternal destruction whether the adoptive parents are gay or straight.

This policy is why unwed JW mothers are encouraged to keep their babies, not give them up for adoption. This was in 1956 but holds true today.

w56 8/15 p. 511 Questions from Readers

? If an unmarried pregnant woman who has made arrangements for the baby to be adopted comes to a knowledge of the truth before the baby is born, should she then feel obligated to keep the child in order to teach it the truth of God?s Word?

One may argue that if the baby is adopted it will have more in a material way and will not have to bear the stigma of illegitimacy. But spiritual provisions are more vital than material things, and if necessary the social stigma can be avoided by the mother?s moving to another place.

Jehovah commands the parent: "These words that I am commanding you today must prove to be on your heart, and you must inculcate them in your son and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up." How could a parent do this if she gives her baby away? How could she give it the right start in life: "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it"??Deut. 6:6, 7, NW; Prov. 22:6.

At the moment it might seem wise to unburden oneself of the problem by having the baby adopted, but it would be against the motherly instincts and as time passed there might be bitter regret because of this course. It would be against natural affection, although in these last days of critical, difficult times we are told that many persons would be "having no natural affection." It would seem better to follow the principles of motherly affection and love for offspring and the keeping of a clear conscience. Even the principles of Christian faith would seem to be violated by failure to look after the child one brought into existence. Paul wrote: "Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith."?2 Tim. 3:3; 1 Tim. 5:8, NW.

So it would seem more courageous and more Christian to bear the burden of keeping and rearing the baby, facing whatever consequences that might follow, such as loss of reputation. Especially so now that the mother has come to a knowledge of the truth and is in position to teach the truth to her offspring and perhaps make it possible for it to live forever in a new world of righteousness. The person finding herself in this difficult position must make her own decision as to the course she will follow.

• target
    target

El Blanko

Sometimes the "ideal" is simply not available. These children were in foster care for about 5 years. Being bi-racial, and that they were beyond the baby years, their chances of adoption were getting pretting slim. The grandmother and other dubs knew that. Yet they slept fine at night.

These two boys were adopted together; that was so important. They only had each other all their young lives. Now they are in a home where they are loved and no one is a dub. That is one helluva step up from what they had. Don't ya think?

Target

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit