Ten killed in US school shooting

by Simon 82 Replies latest social current

• Odrade
  • Gopher
    Gopher
    Why aren't we talking about the fact that there has been only the tiniest fraction of coverage on this shooting...?

The American news headlines are focused on ....

1) The Terry Schiavo right to live / right to die controversy

2) The Michael Jackson trial (did he come late to court again??? what was he wearing ???)

If this school massacre were the first incident of such a proportion, like Columbine was, then this Red Lake incident would be all over the news.

Unfortunately, these tragedies are becoming more commonplace, and are now relegated to the bottom half of the front page, similar to the news reports about Iraqi civilians being killed by insurgent booby-traps.

I hope the lack of coverage this time is not due to the fact that the Columbine shootings happened in a rich suburb of Denver, Colorado while the Red Lake massacre happened on a remote Indian reservation in northern Minnesota.

• Golf
    Golf

Glitter, I suggest you get your story right, when did I say, "guns are designed to fire a bullet, that's all?" I don't own a gun, I have no objections to others owning a gun.

Guns in my community are used for hunting, we have lots of hunters in my community. No one has been killed by a gun in my community, thanks to responsible parents. My issue is life itself, whether one dies by a gun,drunk driving, sleeping at the wheel or by fists, its still killing. A few years back, a golfer was killed by another golfer using his fists not a golf club.

Golf

• Odrade
    Odrade
    I hope the lack of coverage this time is not due to the fact that the Columbine shootings happened in a rich suburb of Denver, Colorado while the Red Lake massacre happened on a remote Indian reservation in northern Minnesota.

That is exactly what I am questioning...

• avishai
    avishai
    But I really want to know what anyone else thinks about the poverty/minority thing?

It's because he and the victims are poor/minorities that there is'nt more coverage. That and the fact that are media has gone to shit, we only cover scandal and such anymore. Sad, huh? The only thing left in the middle is political debate, and that's not new, even though new occasionally comes out of it.

• Simon
    Simon

It seems to me that Americans are in denial.

Either it is related to lack of gun control or else its a reflection on the society and something possibly being wrong with it.

Take your pick or come up with a decent answer as to why this happens so often in the US as compared to countries that do not have the same level of gun ownership (eg. the UK) or that do have similar levels of gun ownership but different 'society' (eg. Canada)

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I'm not sure what stations you listen/view, but it is topping the news locally this morning.

J

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    It's now illegal to own a hand gun in the UK and whilst we still have gun related crime within the criminal elements of society, we don't have pissed off teenagers being able to massacre their classes at school because they cannot get hold of guns.

SLH- If someone wants to kill others they will find a way to do it. If they don't have access to guns they will use other methods.

This didn't happen because of guns. It happened because of an extremely troubled boy and no one addressing that and getting him the help he needed.

By the way, The US crime rate has been falling over the past 20 years, while the UK's has skyrocketed. Odd isn't it?

Yep ,odd and totally and utterly ridiculous!!

fleaman- are you saying that the fact that the UK's crime rate has skyrocketed is ridiculous, as in- something awful which needs to be addressed or are you questioning the veracity of the facts?
  • Odrade
    Odrade

worst school shooting EVER was in Scotland...

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Either it is related to lack of gun control or else its a reflection on the society and something possibly being wrong with it.

Simon... later today in the US at least 10 folks will be shot at by gang-bangers or other folks doing "CRIMINAL" acts. If your momma didnt teach you not to steal, you wouldnt steal the gun....If poppa didnt teach you to mind your manners you wouldnt need to 'defend yourself...

Bill Cosby is on to something... his recent comments have been directed to the Black community as of late but really apply to all. We are not doing a good job taking care of our kids.

It's not the Governments fault

It's not the fault of the more powerful ethnic group in your neighborhood

It's not the fault of the firearm, legal gun owner or the NRA

People who make kids and refuse to raise them, help them and love them cause things like today's shootings.

I read his Mom and Dad are out of the picture. This boy didnt get this way overnight.

It may take a villiage to raise a kid.... a villiage is individuals. Folks aint gettin' it done nowdays.

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit