Names given to children

by the_classicist 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Peppermint, you said your had a "bad" Bible name. So, how bad is it? Just curious!

• Poztate
    Poztate

Years ago friends of ours were going to have a baby. In conversation they said if it is a boy we are going to name him (won't mention the bible name) My wife and I both burst out laughing. We thought they were joking with us. When the boy was born he was given a more conventional name. I think we saved that kid's butt.

• Thinking
    Thinking

My niece named her son Leviathan.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Yes, my wife and me gave our two kids Bible names, too.

But we found them in the credits of US movies. :-)

The good thing about Bible names is that you can use them internationally.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well where I live it is bible belt so it is not uncommon for many parents not just JW parents to give their children biblical names - not heard of anyone called Judas yet but there are few around here called Adam

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I guess "Darwin" is not so common either.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

In my old hall there was an elder with the last name Lynn. He named his first born son Brook. now if THAT's not a J-Dub name what is?

• bekah
    bekah

Yeah I think they really encourage it. I was given the name Rebekah Sue and I am not a big fan. I wasn't teased too much about my name but it is impossible to find personalized pens, paper, shirts, etc without having them made especially for me.

--- Bekah (Who gave her sons fairly normal names: Derek and Duncan)

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Bekah Wrote

Yeah I think they really encourage it. I was given the name Rebekah Sue and I am not a big fan. I wasn't teased too much about my name but it is impossible to find personalized pens, paper, shirts, etc without having them made especially for me.

--- Bekah (Who gave her sons fairly normal names: Derek and Duncan)

hee hee - I gave you your name silly. Mom let me.......and you weren't named so much after a biblical character, but after my best friend - a wonderful human being herself (much as you turned out to be).

Good to see you here sis.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I don't think there's anything new about this. My sister's kids range in age from 25 to 33, and they have names from the Old Testament.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit